15 September 2017

Chalkpainting and Distressing an Old Table




I didn't take a before, but this table has appeared in many porch photos.
I purchased it several years ago from a second hand shop.
I wanted to refinish it at the time, because it was so flat a color, but it went reasonably well with the other chalk painted pieces.

Well, I finally decided to tackle it, after Esther (our pug) took to distressing it herself.
It ended up being a bigger project than I thought, because it turned out to be latex paint.

I ended up putting it in the yard, and the heat helped out.
It melted the surface, so I could peel and sand several layers of it off.

I began this project thinking that I wanted to see the wood, but eventually realized the two sides of the top of the table were finished differently.
I ended up chalk painting with Annie Sloan's French Linen,
 white waxing with Jeanne D' Arc, and washing some Annie Sloan Duck Egg.











I went for a little more distressed look.
Some of the primer that had been on it under the latex just didn't want to come off, and I rather like it, when it was sanded way down.

I ended up painting the tabletop in linen and washing the duck egg over the apron and legs and then white waxing the piece.

I really like it now. The old french style table sort of has a Swedish Gustavian color to it now, which I love.

















I also finally got around to slightly distressing and waxing the giant armoire, but that's another post.

I was not compensated for this post. I just love these products.





Ten Touches of Autumn

Home Tour 2017

Summer Porch


Sharing with:

Shabby Art Boutique

35 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I'd like a new dining table one of these days.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I love the softness of the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Su so pretty. Love this piece. Happy Friday and have a great weekend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors, Su! Can you believe I've never tried chalk paint before?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors Su, table looks so lovely!
    Have a great weekend! xoxo
    Vesna - Home Chic Club

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, Su! Chalk paint is pretty amazing, isn't it? A whole different experience painting with it!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Just popping in to blog land for a quick post and to say Hi--I didn't die! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend as well and enjoying your break with friends and family. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. I think you did a fine job on your table. Don't you just love an piece of furniture that will look so new when finished. Enjoy your weekend,blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie. I agree. Have a great Sunday. xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. Oh very interesting post~ I like the design of that table~
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I don't have the patience to paint furniture like I used to, but I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I get it. I get distracted and it goes unfinished for awhile. The part I love is antiquing, because that is artistic. I don't care for just the painting. I get bored. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. I also did my dining room set and I used Annie Sloan! I love the look too. I distressed the chairs as well! I loved yours it turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like the paint, and I've tried others. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. Su it looks soft and pretty I love weathered aged appearances and Esther added the perfect amount of distress! Did you put a satin paste wax on it to prevent staining? I use Bri-Wax it is soft and easy to work with. I especially find the pale blue pretty.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera. I like Briwax as well. I especially love their white, but I was out of it. I have to order it online. So I used Jeanne D' Arc white wax, because I can buy it from a store near me. I can also buy the Annie Sloan one. But I like the other because it is so easy. I also used some Annie Sloan dark wax. I find her dark wax easy to work with. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. I love the chalk painted and distressed look and have quite a bit mixed with some old antique dark pieces. After we moved to Missouri from Colorado some of the pieces were "more chipped up: but it doesn't even matter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I' m back. I love the gustavian look of Your beautiful table.
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so pretty. Love the table
    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
  15. The color is perfect. Annie Sloan Chalk paint is my favorite too. It is all I use. I always have a can of French Linen in my studio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The distressing creates a really interesting look on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to see you're posting more. Love your table! The layers of paint and distressing are wonderful. You might use some of Miss Mustard Seed's finish to protect it. She posted recently that she is now making it in a matte finish so it would protect the table, but not show. I can't remember the name of it, but she's used it in a few of her posts recently. Duh...I'm not too helpful am I?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su