29 August 2017

Ten Touches of Autumn Decor



After our summer holiday, I finally meandered my way to the blog. Not that I am busy, but life has a way of happening. More about that later... Today, I begin by showing you my daughter's cottage teen shed.

My daughter rearranged her space, because she found something special! Two months ago, she saw this French style antique bed in a vintage shop. She really loved it then, but wasn't sure! At that time, she hoped  that whoever purchased it would not paint the beautiful details and inlays. Fortunately for her, when we returned from Europe, and found time for weekend window shopping, it was still there! Obviously, it was meant for her! The bed had only one owner, and the shopkeeper thought she was told that it was from the 30s, and as you can see it is mint condition.
So she paid an amazing price, and brought it home.
I can proudly tell you that the bed, the new arrangement to show off the bed, the painted side table, and the hints of autumn in her Teen She Shed were her ideas. Here I present ten touches for autumn decor.








1. Golden books... She turned the books around to showcase the pretty pages.

2. The salt lamp. When lit this lamp has a beautiful glow from pink to gold depending on the setting.
It is suppose to be good for you. She doesn't believe the part about the ions, however she thinks that the glow is up lifting.

3. Simple linens. She used touches of black and white. We have had these sheets for awhile, but the black and white take you through Thanksgiving.








4. She painted her side table Annie Sloan's Arles. She is an art history buff and this is the name of a town that Van Gogh lived in for over a year. The happy color is reminiscent of sunflowers that bloom in the southwestern autumn, the french countryside, or simply autumn leaves.









5. Natural colored baskets for storage.









6. Touches of nature:  Branches, dried orange flowers, pinecones, cinnamon sticks, nuts etcetera... are a must...









7. Tea in pretty cans displayed (Hers are in her glass cabinet.)

8. The warm glow of a fire, even if it is faux, and the heat element is turned off...








9. More books... but this time arranged in autumnal colors on a reading cart...

10. Glow and scents... This little tree casts a nice glow, but so do golden twinkle lights outside a window, and candles... Incense and essential oils are also comforting.











As I wrote in the beginning, life has a way of happening, and it is difficult to see suffering in the world and in our own country, backyard, or family.

Three of my family members happen to be safe. Though all the belongings may be gone, some were far less fortunate.
It is difficult to start over, but at some point in our lives many of us have or will start over. We all know that in the last ten years this country and individuals have been through a lot financially and naturally in the form of disasters.  Moreover: war, terror, street violence, and violence against police who put their life on the line and try to protect us...
So, when we reach with our hands to help people in our country, neighborhood, places of worship, family, or even strangers, we make our country a little better.

"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness". Desmond Tutu

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_hope.html

Su




My Home Tour 2017

And you can always find me at my Butterfly and Bungalow Instagram
There you will find photos of our summer travel to St. Petersburg, Russia and France.

Sharing with:

French Country Cottage

Shabby Art Boutique

34 comments:

  1. Very inspiring post. I love the bed!!!! Wow!
    Good to read your family is safe.
    All my best and good days
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did an outstanding job - the room is lovely.

    Happy to hear that you family is safe, this ongoing disaster is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She is talented. Yes, so happy that my family is fine. Life is so precious. Things can always be replaced. xoxo Su

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear that your family is safe.

    Love that beautiful bed and I am so glad that she didn't paint it. Her room looks great and shows her likes and personality.

    So glad that you had a wonderful vacation and looking forward to seeing posts about your trips.

    Take care and have a great weekend.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Mary. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. Love your daughters teen shed. So sweet and pretty. I bet she loves it!!! Glad your family is safe. Have a great rest of the week.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. She loves her space, and is always trying changes. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. Super ideas on this post! We have an aunt, uncle, and cousins in Houston, and they left and are visiting a daughter/granddaughter in Oklahoma (she's a student at Oklahoma State). I'm so happy they got out, but I'm pretty sure on of the cousins lost everything. We were so relieved when they called last night!

    I think our daughter dodged a bullet in Baton Rouge. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, R. J. I think almost everyone knows someone affected by this storm. It is such a huge city. I thought Phoenix is big, because it is larger than the state of R.I., but Houston a bit more land than us, and a bit more people. Thank goodness, that your family was able to leave and that it missed Baton Rouge. xoxo Su

      Delete
  6. What a lovely bed! Such a fortunate find! Your daughter has great taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. She is very sophisticated. It was a lovely find, and to think that it was only in one family. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. This is such a pretty space! I think your daughter inherited your love of beautiful things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey. I think you are right. xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely room!! So sweet and pretty. She is so creative, like you! xoxo
    Vesna - Home Chic Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vesna. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  9. Oh, what a great room...she has it fixed up sooo sweet.
    I haven't even thought of fall decos yet..it's still in the 90's here in my part of the world. We didn't have much of a good summertime like we usually do. Mr. Sweet was told he had a brain cancer in Feb and he was gone in July...hoping our fall and winter will be better..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm so sorry, B.J. ... What a terrible loss. So many good years.... I was away without internet most of the time... so, I was looking at photos, and didn't even realize that Mr. Sweet had passed... The holidays will be difficult for you. Sending a hug, prayers and healing thoughts. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. I love your daughter's style and new find! This vintage bed will be a piece that can stay with her forever. It is gorgeous and creates a cozy french retreat. So so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kerrie. Yes, she will always have it. Have a wonderful day and weekend, and thank you for stopping by. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. I am glad to hear that your family is safe, such devastation is hard to watch. Sometimes, it's good to escape to a place of pretty. Your daughter's shed is just that. The bed is wonderful and I am glad it landed in hands that appreciate it's natural glory. Sending smiles, Su...and I loved following you guys around Europe this summer via Instagram. Amazing pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim. I'm sure we will all be helping my sister figure this out.

      Thank you for the compliment in regards to my daughter and the summer photos. That was sweet of you to follow along. Oh we had some funny days for example, no hot water in the newer part of the hotel for three days... After experiencing cold water on Tuesday night, we asked them Wednesday morning what was wrong, they said it would be fixed Friday! True to their word it was. hahaha Though honestly, St. Petersburg has some really beautiful treasures... though they contrast drastically with the Brutalist architecture of the Soviet era... for the most part the oldest parts of the city ,though needing preservation, are intact... xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. Sending prayers, Su. I also have family in Texas. They keep us updated on how things are going for them.

    I enjoyed following you travel on IG. I am fascinated with Russia. I would love to hear more about your travels to Russia. I visited Ukraine. That was very interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla. It is a terrible situation for so many, but it is wonderful to see how they are pulling together.

      I have not been to the Ukraine. That's so neat! xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. The bed is an amazing find... And your daughter has an awesome sense of style!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that bed. It looks so beautiful. Your daughter space is fantastic
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bente. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. Love it...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Room looks neat and beautiful. All things are arranged properly...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Su I can't believe I missed this post. As you know I love your photos and your shares and feel we have a connection in our living aesthetic and appreciations. I love the Fall touches, the thought process and touch connected to nature. Just today 4 white birch logs arrived that will become part of my Fall into Winter natural décor. Your daughter's sensitivity about the bed which I find truly beautiful and reminds me of my Grandmothers from the 30's. I love that she wanted it to remain what was original because I feel otherwise's it's legacy would of somehow been loss. The pop of sunflower color, the Pink salt lamp the spines outward - as only in Autumn Golds falls from the sky....I have so much appreciation for this post. Sorry I just minutes ago discovered it, but perhaps it might of been meant that way for it has filled my heart with appreciation and for a few minutes took the worry away from my family members about to bashed around by hurricane Irma.
    Thank you for this post.
    xoxo,
    Vera


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vera, Thank you so much. I hope you have heard from your family by now. It is hard to comprehend that half the state of Florida is without power!!! My sister just got to her place this weekend. The place she rented was a beautiful home with pretty floors and so on; the inside is ruined, but she salvaged some things that water does not destroy. What is left is on the way to NY where she will start a new job. xoxo Su

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su