29 April 2017

Making Garden Magic


For some time now, I've had grand plans for this little wonky cabinet found for fifteen dollars. I had something in mind, but did not get around to starting. Everyone can understand how that goes.

 Some of you may recall that the last three summers were spent mostly in the Italian Alps.  Over there, there are roadside wild flowers and meadows, and steep hills and crooked stairs along and leading to hiking  trails where petite shrines to the Blessed Mother and other saints as well, decorate the route. It's enchanting folk art constructed by people who have lived there for generations. It is fair to understand why these shrines exist. What if you were to get lost in climate weather or have an accident on a narrow winding road on the edge of a cliff that looks down a valley one thousand feet below? Yet, in the Dolomites you are also close to resplendent nature, and perhaps one of the most magnificent places on earth that reminds one of greatness.








I hung the cabinet on the side of the teen shed. Its rustic vintage looks suits it and looks part of it.
Now somedays, I hang a bouquet here.  In the Alps, bouquets of wildflowers are left as offerings at these roadside shrines. This I understand, because I like to make bouquets for the garden, not just for the house. I place them in various spots in the garden.  Under a bush... on a bench, on the table or a hook...  You walk by and you can enjoy them...










In the Alps, summers are short. When we arrive, after a long ride from Munich, at the end of the first week of July, it is often the first warm week in the Italian Alps. So summers are shorter compared to what I am accustomed. For example, in contrast, the best time of year for our garden in the desert southwest is now, because before long it will be too hot for the flowers and produce until September.  







 I plan to change the scenes in our cabinet, and at some point it may have changing statues, but for now, after changing the black paint to white and the inside to blue, ours is a humorous take on a shrine or even a fairy garden which we indulged in when my daughter was small, even painting glitter on rocks.















For now the cabinet has a vintage statue of a little cat on a piano with a postcard scene of a  Delacroix painting.  Outside the cat's windows are our gardens below. (The Delacroix museum is a magnificent little museum in Paris, where one can tour his studio and garden.)













I added sea shells, a real bouquet, a toy baguette, a faux star fish, and some seeds that look like a grape bunch from the garden.
At night garden paths and ornaments are lit, and I plan to add twinkle lights to this too.
I like to bring the inside, outside, and the outside, inside, and I've done the same for our vintage cat.
There are many ways to create magic in the garden, and this is just one of ours.
Thank you for visiting, and a bouquet for your travels.













The vintage bowl was made in Germany and found by my daughter in a second hand shop here.



My home tour 2017 is here.
My living room is here.
My master is here.
My desk is here.


30 comments:

  1. So pretty dear!!! I`m starting my little garden this year too!! Love it! xoxo
    Vesna - Home Chic Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vesna. I hope you enjoy the garden you create. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. I have not planted a veggie garden this year as the possums and rates eat everything. We have what they call tree rats that love all the fruit trees in So CA. So I just have my roses and flowers.

    Love your little chest and it's cute what you did with it.

    Enjoy your Spring.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know we have those rats here too, but I pick all my fruit, so I don't have a problem. My problem is my daughter's pug, the ripe tomato eater.

      Thank you, Mary. Have a wonderful week. xoox Su

      Delete
  3. Love your post!Love your vintage bowl and your beautiful garden!Maristella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maristella. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. What a magical garden you have, Su! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the enchanting story about the alps. Your display is charming, especially with the flowers hanging from the hook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really is... more than I can convey. xoox Su

      Delete
  6. Su- what a fun piece and I love your connection to the Alps. Do you have family there--or is it a homeplace for you somehow? Love that you can go there. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diana. My daughter had been going to music festivals there for the last three summers. We spend a month in Italy and then do some traveling. This year, I think she may go somewhere else, and we won't have time to visit the friends we have made there and in the village, but I'm sure new experiences will be good and some new friends too. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. So pretty. I cannot wait to get my summer flowers going.
    Have a wonderful start to the new week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kris. Have a great day. xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. Just what I needed today. It is cold, raining, snow mixed in and dark. Thank you for the tour.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a craftsman living here in Oregon City at one time who built shrines to hang on walls for people to dedicate to theri love ones and remember them. He has since passed. Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. That is such a beautiful idea. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. The cabinet is so lovely! Your garden is a fairyland. I love the Alps. I usually spend my summer holiday there
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. I love it there. You are very lucky to spend your vacation there. xoox Su

      Delete
  11. Your cabinet is darling and your description of bouquets for the garden as well as the home sounds delightful. Most of all your description of the Italian Alps is so charming. Makes me wish that I enjoyed travel for a split second. ☀️🌸🌿🌼🌿🌺☀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee. The worse part is getting there, but in the Alps you can stay in a village and use public transportation to go to another town. It's walkable, unless you have bad knees or something that prevents walking or handling too many stairs or hills. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. Enchanting, Su. You have a magical touch that turns all the spaces of your home into beautiful vignettes. I can only imagine how stunning your garden must be a night. Perhaps one day you will show us photos of it. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nancy. I should. My evening photos never come out well. I think, I don't have the settings right on my camera. I should study that. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. Oh, that's an adorable little cabinet. I love how it connects the outdoors and indoors... I'm only dreaming of making our outdoor space feel like another indoor living area. I have big plans, but... it just snowed on the 1st! :'( Once spring finally arrives though, you give me inspiration to decorate outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia. Wow! I hope it is soon! xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. This is an adorable cabinet and I love the way you styled it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. I am happy that you enjoyed it. It was just a simple idea, but it's fun. Have a great weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. You have a gift with words, my friend. I can imagine what it was like on your travels.

    xoxo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rue. That is so kind of you to stop by and say. I do write, but I rarely write for public. Maybe I should open up more. I am a shy blogger. Have a wonderful week ahead. xoxo Su

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su