23 February 2017

Gardening


I've been noticeably absent from here these past months, but when life takes me away from writing here, one hobby remains a constant. It's gardening.  

When we moved here four and a half years ago, the yard was dirt and tons of concrete and brick in every form with rusted aluminum fencing on one side, a wall in front of another wall, and a hand poured concrete patio that was higher than the porch. I made so many phone calls, but we could not give it away.  You would not believe how many times I paid someone to haul a pile to the dump. With weight restrictions and cost, it was taking forever. It was the man that built the walls, that told us about a demolition guy.  Demolition came and gave an estimate, and it was hauled away the next day. The best part was he could lift the remaining patio with his bobcat.  My spouse had spent hours busting it up with a sledge hammer. But that is in the past.

Now our yard is a beautiful sanctuary brimming with flowers and fruit trees. 


 
The peach trees are blooming.






The last of the Meyer lemons, grapefruits, oranges, and mandarins have been picked. My spouse made Meyer lemon marmalade. I used one jar of the marmalade to make lemon chicken.




The tomatoes are amazing this year, though this is a photo of ones from last summer. My five year old niece picked these, and then lined them up.  I think the tomato plants that I planted in the fall may carry over until June, because they are giant and still blooming. We had a lot of rain and few consecutive cold nights, so they did not get injured by frost.



Thai basil is a favorite. It makes the most beautiful purple leaves and flowers.









There are always garden flowers for making bouquets, at least a few times per week.








It's wonderful to grow your own flowers, because they only need love and sunshine.






























































I have been making a few changes to living room.  The first thing I did, was move the chest and chairs behind the current sofa to this wall.  The mirror was a vintage find.  The white shutter one was put away for now, because too many people have walked into it, and fortunately, no injuries.  We also found an amazing, antique sofa in a vintage shop! But for comparison, I have to show you the new one I eyed, but could never justify due to the cost (though it looked worth it), three toy dogs, and educational expenses. Wow! This was a fortunate find. But my spouse has been gone for the week, so I'm not sure when we will get to it. 


Thank you for visiting. One can usually find us at Instagram


If you pin, please link back to my blog. Thank you. I have not had time to water mark.

Su


Sharing with:



Shabby Art Boutique

32 comments:

  1. I love the copper hoops in your vegetable garden, I was thinking about using PVC pipes but this is so much prettier. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hoops were a project that I did awhile ago. They are PVC and then sprayed with rustoleum copper. They have worked for years now. I need them to hold shade cloth in the summer here. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. You have always had the most beautiful garden....and the hoops are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bj. Keeping your Mr. Sweet in my prayers. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to have you back, darling Su, I've been missing you !

    For sure you live in such a different climate, here we're living our Winter and our gardens are still sleeping, waiting for Springtime !

    Thank you for sharing your so lovely images, Dearie
    sending much love and blessings on your weekend ahead

    XOXO Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniela. Love to you too. I will be stopping by soon. xoox Su

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! You always post such gorgeous photos! Lovely garden, I'd spend all my time there too if I could... Have a great weekend! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. You have a great weekend too. xoox Su

      Delete
  5. Your photos are exquisite, Su. Your enchanting home and garden are always a welcome sight on my screen. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous flowers and plant life with us. They make me feel warm on this cold February morning. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to see your post. Somehow, Instagram just doesn't do it for me, though your photos are always exquisite. I remember the PVC hoops project - I'm amazed at how well they are holding up. It would have been fun to see a before picture of the back yard for some contrast, though you may not want to go back there even for pictures. It's truly a sanctuary now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. Yes, they held up well, especially in this sun! I will have to find if I have any old posts of the yard, and add the links.

      xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. You have quite a bounty! We are no where near having blossoms yet but so eager for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always wonderful to view gardens in a different climate than mine, though mine is a bit upside down right now :) Beautiful shots of what is going on there now, thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is heaven Su. You have made it into a beautiful sanctuary. So nice to have fresh flowers right out of the backyard. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. Have a great weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. The hoops are amazing and your garden is fairy
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. I can't believe it's only been 4 1/2 years considering all that you have done with your house.

    With all of our rain and cold days, my garden has suffered. Despite the cold, I hit the garden yesterday and it felt so good. I was already working in the garden this morning before Steve called me in for breakfast. Rain is expected tonight, but I'm going to get in as many garden hours as I can today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. I can't believe it either.

      We received a little bit of that rain system this morning. I hope there is more on our way. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. Su - Your photos are just gorgeous. You have really done alot to your new home in a short amount of time. Your flowers are so pretty.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gardens are so pretty. How lucky you are to be a le to grow so much year round. Our Winter has been so wet that we could not garden much. We do have strawberries, onions and herbs growing. I think this week I will be able to plant the sweet peas and snow peas and carrot seeds. I so admire all of your citrus. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is really nice to be able to grow things 8 or 9 months of the year. xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. As much as I adore your cottage, I absolutely LOVE your garden posts. You have the prettiest little garden, and you have a wonder crop of citrus! You are so fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RJ. I really do too. It is really fun. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. Your beautiful garden is a credit to you Su. I'm glad that if brings you so much joy and allows you to be creative. Thank you for sharing this beautiful space with us at 'Create, Bake, Grow & Gather' this week. I appreciate your support of my new party xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A gorgeous garden that harvests beautiful fare! You HAVE been busy!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty. I can't wait for my roses to bloom. I'm following on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su