04 May 2016

ORC week 5

I worked on the room this week. I placed my shell collection into a large jar.























I also have a story.


Even though I had not planned on it, I may have to purchase a new blanket for the foot of my bed. Several weeks back... a stranger knocked and stood at my front door.

It was just after eleven o'clock at night, and my spouse was out of town.
Someone gave several knocks to the front door.
I peeked around the corner only to see someone wave. I thought, "darn, has he or she seen me now? Darn, I forgot to turn on the alarm."  I wondered out loud...Is it my nephew? Did he loose his apartment key again? Is it my flight attendant sister?
I advise myself aloud and my daughter to not open the door unless we know him or her.
The wave meant the person had seen me, because of the window over the door.
Oh xxxx! 

Our neighborhood is a section of older homes slowly being fixed up.
There are artsy people, old-timers, new people, retirees, hipsters, and hispanics
but there are also occasional addicts, homeless, and paroles taking a short cut to a church, or a park.

He speaks to me through the door, "Hello. I'm from the Navajo Nation, and I'm a veteran.  Do you have a blanket to spare?" He did have a cap on with an insignia, but I don't know what insignia. He also had a jacket, maybe leather. He is older by his voice and I know he is telling the truth by his voice.

I decide to answer back. "Yah'-eh-teh'."
He responds likewise.
and that, "It's cold" and that he would appreciate it, if I had a blanket to spare.
I tell him to wait a few moments and that I would look, but I don't open the door.

I frantically search the house for one, afraid he is under the influence and might try to break in, if I don't hurry. But darn, I've partially decluttered, and I put some linens in storage and the others were donated, because I was not going to use them anymore, because they were all white, and I couldn't figure out if they went on the twin, the full, or the queen. I'm serious.  Besides, there is no spare room in these three tiny closets or my armoire to store anything extra. I go to the sleeping porch, and on the pile of clean laundry is a white quilt that I keep at the the foot of my bed. It's the only blanket I have for my bed.
We live in a desert. 
At this time of year it can be hot in the day, but the nights still cool off.

I tell my daughter to grab the phone, and be ready to call for help if something happens.
I decide to go out the back door, the kitchen door, through the carport.  
I call to him, and hand him the blanket over the carport gate.

I remember back many years; there were only three other caucasians at the school. I say, "I went to school on the Navajo reservation." St. Michaels. The Catholic school that had  a boarding school in the 80s. He says, he knows it, and "thank you".  
(The school is by Window Rock: the capital of the Navajo Nation.)

I run back into the house, lock the door, and turn the alarm on, and hurry to look out the front door, only to see a small thin man wearing clothes too big hobbling down the street.

My daughter says to me, "How did he know to stop here?"
I said, " Maybe because the porch is lit, and the American flag is out there with potted plants that he figured I had a spare blanket."

My daughter asks, "What's the chances of him knocking on a door in Phoenix, and someone greeting him back in Navajo?" 

I think the chances are probably small.... Is it a sad or happy story? My daughter and I will never know.

So I might need a new blanket or maybe I don't. hózhó : the Navajo concept of being in balance with "the mundane and the divine".

Here is a photo of a Navajo "blanket" that I own. The Navajo women still make blankets, but the art is becoming less common. This one is more like a wall hanging. One of my daughter's favorite books when she was little was The Goat in the Rug: a story about Navajo rug making. I read her soulful stories and told her my memories of childhood. That's why we have this rug. I'm sad to think he needed a blanket. Yet, I would like to think that perhaps the divine did whisper, "knock". Divine whispers in the ordinary... 



I have a photo of the woman who wove it, but I could not find it.
It must be in one of my safe spots. 


P.S.

This article is a glimpse of life in 1972 on the reservation, before I lived up there, but not much different in the early 80s.



Next week there will be a reveal!





67 comments:

  1. As much as I love to visit and see your beautiful home and your ORC, your story was wonderful. I believe things happen for a reason and thank you for sharing. Alaina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear. I feel happy that I shared it now. I debated and debated, due to lack of confidence. You made my day. I love that you also believe that things happen for a reason. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. It was meant to be, to give warmth to the man and know his native language. How interesting you went to school on the Navajo reservation. I read in the paper awhile back ago that weaving is less common and your blanket is beautiful. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen, and it was the place I most loved school. xoox Su

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post brought tears to my eyes. God bless you and that poor man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think in addiction to the flag on your porch there can be seen by those who need to know, the symbol of a smiling cat which means , "a kind-hearted woman lives here."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet and such a good idea since I have five rescue kitties. We always joke that the cats can read. A cat sign might be just what we need. My dd would love it. xoxo Su

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness you had a blanket to give him! I would be in a scramble to find one here, we are still so unsorted from our on going reno. Love seeing your instagram. I find I am enjoying it more than Pinterest as it is more soulful. Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you could give him a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. All things in due time...love the story and looking forward to the reveal.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dore. No setbacks, so it will be done. xoxo Su

      Delete
  9. Whether your room gets finished or not it will be the nicest of them all because you gave the greatest gift which is humanity to someone in need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. That is very kind of you to say that and leave such a sweet note. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  10. How kind of you to help that poor man with a blanket. I would have been afraid also. I can look out my dining room window and see who is there. I never open the door unless I know the person. I am so glad that this had a happy ending and that you helped that man.

    Have a wonderful Mothers Day.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. He must have been guided to your door. Awaiting the conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. I think so. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. Love the story and I think your behaviour was perfect, overcoming your fear to help, hats off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. Hola amiga querida !! Una muy bonita historia !! Espero que tengas un buen día
    Cariños

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story touched my hearth. So glad you helped the poor man with the blanket.
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. Have a beautiful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. Unfortunately today it's hard to trust people anymore. You were wise to do what you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniela. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  16. I'm so touched after reading your story, dearest Su, the poor man was truly fortunate to find you !
    Actually today it's not easy to trust people, and sometimes we tend to be suspicious of people who don't deserve it, and let me finally say that your Navajo blanket is truly wonderful, sweetie !

    Enjoy your day and your weekend ahead, my friend, Happy Mother's Day to you and thank you so much for this so sweet post,
    sending blessings to you

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniela. I know. It is unfortunate. Have a beautiful weekend. I hope to catch up on my blog reading this weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. Thank you for the heartwarming story, Su. I wish you a Happy Mother's Day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vickie, and a happy Mother's Day to you too. xoox Su

      Delete
  18. What an amazing story! I'm so glad you were able to speak to him in Navajo and make him feel better. What a special thing you did to give him a blanket too. I lived in Crownpoint, NM on the reservation back in the late 70s and early 80s. It was like living in another country back then. But we learned so much and have so many wonderful memories (and a few not so good) But I'm glad it was part of my life and my family's. My boys travel back to NM every year in the Fall to hike and spend time together. (this is getting LONG but you've sure brought back memories!) Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. Wow. We were not that far from each other by Arizona time. I love New Mexico, especially Santa Fe. xoox Su

      Delete
  19. Thank you, Su, for sharing this story. We can live in fear and miss the whispers of God! Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a heartfelt story and so happy that you were able to help. Not everyone would have unfortunately. It is sad commentary that we need to fear opening a door to a stranger but you were wise to be careful. I believe there are divine whispers although I have not heard them referred to that way but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorri. Have a beautiful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  21. Su I came back to read this precious story a second time. It just touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. That is so sweet of you to tell me. I am a timid writer, and it took a lot for me to press publish. Have a beautiful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  22. Sue, I'm not one to say this out loud to too many people but this is a God story. You blessed that man in so many ways at that moment and beyond. You bless us too by reminding us to entertain strangers.

    One time a door to door salesperson knocked. He was one of those people who tell you right off the bat that he just got out of rehab and was trying to make a go of it. He tried to sell me something and then asked for a sandwich. I let him in and made him a sandwich but I was scared. After he was in the house I realized how stupid it was of me to let him in.

    Sometimes we have to trust. Be cautious but trust. Thank you for sharing this today. I saw this video on Facebook and I'm passing it on. You should see it too. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nYXFletWH4

    Thank you for sharing this at Thoughts of Home. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey. Wow.
      I will watch it.

      xoxo Su

      Delete
  23. You have a beautiful shell collection. What an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucille. I've bought them on trips and some of them are gifts from my daughter. I think that's how I started collecting them actually. xoxo Su

      Delete
  24. What a sweet story! That is so great of you to spare a blanket for someone in need. And I love your shell collection!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This post is wonderful.
    I was holding my breath.
    I can't say that I would have been that brave to help.
    I've had a few times where I've misjudged people. I'm just not that good at reading them and it's left me cynical and scared.
    But the fact that he knew to come to your home, that you would know his language, that you would be brave and caring.
    Yes, it wasn't an accident.
    Thanks for being you!
    xoxo
    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely story - your Navajo blanket is beautiful. Can't wait to see the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne. How sweet of you. xoxo Su

      Delete
  27. Good morning Su! Featuring you today at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey. Just saw this. I will stop by a little later today. xoxo Su

      Delete
  28. Risky but perhaps heaven sent? Making me think of the verse about entertaining angels unaware. Evidently you were exactly the right person on the street for this knock on the door.

    Have you written here before about your school years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dewena. I have not. I am a shy writer. I should take more chance with stories. Maybe, I will. xoxo Su

      Delete
  29. Awesome story! God truly works through us.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think God directed him to your house, Su, and thankfully you answered the call. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kitty. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  31. Came over from Laura's (White Spray Paint). What a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LKJ. It was one of those little miracles that we might otherwise miss. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  32. Thank you for caring. You made the world a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellis, for leaving such a sweet complement. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  33. What a lovely, heartwarming story. You handled the situation with kindness tempered with caution. While reading I said to myself 'go out the back door and leave the blanket there Su!', and you almost did, but I like your solution better :).

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful story. To me it was God working in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform. Oh so touching!

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hope with all my heart that in this next election the veterans are taken care of the way they should be! What a wonderful story and so great that your daughter got to share it with you! God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su