16 May 2016

Distressing a Bucket





I love to place what comes from my garden in a bucket. I also love to buy a bunch of flowers from Trader Joe's once a week.  So, I have a few buckets around the house, but I've wanted a unique one, so I decided to transform one.









This is the bucket that I transformed for my One Room Challenge.
It's an ordinary American-made bucket from Home Depot. I've had cheaper ones, but my American made ones never leak even after weeks of use.

I can't show you exactly what I did; it is actually more than distressing, because the goal was a soft faded color with paints and wax.

However, this is what I did...in this order...

I sanded it.

Chalkpainted it with left over Annie Sloan's blues like Duck Egg and Louis Blue.

I distressed my paint job.

I spray-painted it with some left over Rustoleum metallics to look like rust.

I did the same to the applique, except for sanding. I attached the applique with rubber cement. It was tricky, because I probably should of sanded underneath where I wanted to put it, or perhaps used a different application, because of the metal.

But it worked and it's on there.  I cut it to size. I could have gone all the way around, but I wanted a plain side to use the bucket the other way.

When I was done, I used some of the left over wax that I have:  silver, gold, and lime, and waxed the bucket.

So basically, I used whatever I had around the house except for the applique.






The appliques come from Efex Decorative Appliques.






































This bucket contains cutting from my garden: some roses and some downward growing olive branches. Overall, it resulted in an interesting effect.







I've done other distressing/painting/patina projects like the one below.



Shabby Romantic Pinboard
and
This bucket as well.

(P.S. I was not compensated. I use these products, because I like them.)
xoxo
Su

Sharing with:

Shabby Art Boutique

Bernideen's BTTCG Party

Cozy Little House

Thoughts of Home on Thursday

French Country Cottage

Featured at:

French Country Cottage

54 comments:

  1. I love your bucket which turned out great. I have an old school chalkboard in the garage over my potting bench but NOT your talent to draw!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bernideen. I love drawing and painting, and I should do it more. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. Su, I love that applique...it adds such a feminine touch. Perfect for flowers! Oh how I love Louis blue chalk paint color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bucket, it turned out wonderful. The applique is very romantic, great idea!
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. Have a wonderful week. xoox Su

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! Super job, Su. I need to start buying fresh flowers, for it's going to be a while, other than my daffodils and flowering crab, before anything is blooming. You've brought it all together so splendidly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bucket and the lovely drawing behind!
    Happy and sunny days for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is absolutely perfect, Su. Looks like it has been hanging around a LONG time (thanks to your aging process). Love the framed fabric, too! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. Have a wonderful week. Oh that's a pinboard to pin things on with tacks. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. The applique gave it the perfect detail to really make it special! Very nice! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. your bucket turned out wonderful. lovely with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am loving that gorgeous bucket Su. It looks perfectly worn. You did great job.

    I too buy flowers each week from Trader Joe's. They have the prettiest flowers are very reasonable prices.

    Have a great week.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I agree. And sometimes, even Whole Foods has a great price. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. You did a great job on the bucket, Su!! Thanks for sharing your technique, and I love the applique.
    Your ORC turned out soooo pretty! I'll bet you're so happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kitty. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah. Have a wonderful week. I love how it is cooling off for you. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. Oh Su, your bucket looks wonderful. I will have to try that on some of my metal watering cans.

    Have a wonderful week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna, for your sweet visit. Take care, and I hope your week is wonderful too. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. Very cool bucket, Su. I love the appliqué. It totally makes the piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. One of the projects with lots of leftovers! xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. Nice job on the bucket! It looks lovely on your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. Your bucket is wonderful. I love rusty buckets full of beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. Have a great week! xoxo Su

      Delete
  16. I so love your 'new' bucket, dearest Su, you've done a great work, you're so talented my friend !

    Hope your week is off to a good start I wish you all my best for your days to come, sending you hugs and more hugs

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dany. You are so kind. Thank you for visiting, and I hope you have a beautiful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. I love your bucket!
    It's so pretty.
    It made me smile because we use those American made buckets at work for water buckets for the largest of dogs.
    You are right, they don't leak!
    And I must say, I've never seen one look so nice! LOL!
    :D
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I never thought of that, because I have such small dogs! xoxo Su

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  19. Hi dear friend,, que lindo ese rincón con esas flores y ese bello fondo de pizarra,,espero que tengas un buen día
    Cariños

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Angelica. Espero que tengas un buen dia. xoxo Su

      Delete
  20. Su, your bucket looks great. I love the finish and the applique. I didn't realize that these appliques were available and could be used to adorn metal items. I will share this with my sister. She is planning a graduation party and has a galvanized metal theme going. It is probably too late to do this in time for the party this weekend but she will still have a ton of metal stuff and perhaps she would like to embellish it with some pretty pieces. Thanks for the link, i am headed there to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lorri. It was one of those fun things to do, that has no right way to do it. xoxo Su

      Delete
  21. The distressing is lovely and the staging is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a great piece, Su! I have a couple of older buckets in the shed, I may try a few of those techniques with one of them. You did a nice job and I appreciate the steps being added! So sweet! Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  24. Ficou encantador:) Beijinho,
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job on the bucket, Su, but really, the whole vignette is fabulous. Just fabulous.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amalia. It was a fun thing to do. xoxo Su

      Delete
  26. So cute- thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su