06 April 2016

One Room Challenge: My Bedroom




Thank you Linda, for hosting the one room challenge ORC.  
I've never participated before, because I could never decide on a project that I could complete in five weeks, but this year, I am excited to participate as a guest.  My projects usually take much longer, and many times, I don't show you the behind the scenes' deliberations or changes.

Do you have a room that you just close the door on?
I do, and it is not my teenager's room!

I want to makeover my bedroom.  Not so long ago, it was a lovely room that I worked on a little bit two years ago, but the paint was chosen four years ago. This is how it looked June 22, 2014. You can see more of how it looked then here. These photos are a bit grainy, because they were taken with my old camera.


By most standards, it is a pretty room already.  I like green, but the paint color was brighter than everywhere else in the house, but two years ago, I decided to keep it by just adding the green drapes and curtains to the bed,which was the solution to dealing with the only spot for a bed.
It has worked well for one of those two years.


But last year, we installed new floors in the house. Hand scraped and distressed bamboo, which was right in the middle of the price range. It looks like wood, but not brand new, which was important since the house is 72 years old. 

But, I have a confession. After my spouse installed the base board, we never put the room back together. My daughter and I went away for the summer and that was that. That's why I never showed the floors in my room. Well, this is the state that it is in.


My daughter, up until recently, had been using the canopy to hang her dresses.
Yes, canopy beds can maximize your closet space, and if you want your daughter to use her canopy bed to hang clothing don't get a curved one. :) Kitties also like to hang out here.




This is an ordinary bedroom, not a master bedroom, because this is a older, small home of 1090 square feet plus a sleeping porch. There is only one bathroom in the home, extremely small closets, and no master bedroom.





This is a real home, so let's overlook the mess for a minute;
it's the green paint.
I love green, but I am exhausted looking at it.

Plus, I have lots of paintings that cannot be displayed all at once.
I have the walls covered with them. I just never show them, because some of them are not to be reproduced in any form. Except for two paintings, one small and one large, they are all brighter than I like in my bedroom. At one time, we had a larger home, and the paintings were never meant for my bedroom. However, I have a plan for them someday.




In the meantime, I have too much in this room. My hand carved santos are too big for this space. They are always getting knocked over and their limbs and wings fall off. Too much art...Too many books... Too much clutter... and one too many pieces of furniture.  Also, my Italian tables are literally on their last legs. Each table has a leg that always falls off, and now they are held up by leaning on each other reminiscent of the leaning tower of Pisa. You can see stuff gets stacked on there and then falls on the floor below. :)




The green paint that has been on the walls for four years has to go.

The Positives
1. Even though the closet is small, we installed organizers a while back, so it just needs to be decluttered.

2. There is nice furniture and accessories to work with

but, this is also the only room with truly dark furniture.



This project will involve:

1. lightening it up, so that it flows better with the small house and the rest of our style
2. decluttering
3.choosing paint and painting walls 
4. switching a piece of furniture from the Madhatter's Library to this room and vice versa, and removing some furniture.
5. choosing paint color and painting an armoire and a chest
6. editing art and storing others
7. change the hanging star to a ceiling light ( I have it.) It will put out a lot of light from overhead because of the lumens in the bulbs that it takes. This is a small room, and there are no outlets on the concrete block walls; electrical work is not in the budget. So I can't use lamps. (There is a lamp with a missing shade, but that came out of my daughter's room, because her room is an old addition with lots of outlets.)
8. I need probably four new drapes, because the green won't be right anymore...
maybe new curtains for the canopy as well...
9.  I need a side table on my side to replace the collapsed trio Italian tables, but it has to be sturdy, yet small enough that I can open one side of the armoire regularly without moving it. I don't mind moving the table, if it is once in awhile.
10. Some whimsy...

I have a new comforter and a new comforter cover that have been in the packaging that they came in for over four months and probably over six months respectively. I was not going to put it on when the room was a mess.

My goal is to transform the room into a French Nordic sanctuary.




Most of my home is in shades of white, grays, and charcoal (my spouse's office and my daughter's bedroom), and I want this room to flow with the other spaces.


It is not a budget buster one room challenge, because I have everything except paint, drapes, and curtains. It's mainly labor intensive. It will also involve some tweaks in the
Madhatter Library.  It will be less than 500 dollars, and probably more like 300. It's not like I have to purchase much, because I have a nice base.


My first task will be decluttering and then selecting a color to paint the walls.

Limitation:
The queen size canopy bed has to stay where it is. There is no room to move it sideways or diagonally in the room and still have even one side table.

As you can see this is labor intensive, but looks like fun and worthwhile,
and I thank you for following along.

My ideas originate from what I've already done here.


There will be some whites and cream, but maybe not gray, with a French Nordic or French Country or Gustavian feel.



I want the room cream like the color of this column in my garden.




And, there will probably be some whimsy like here on my porch; even if, it is just color from garden flowers and a couple of paintings that will stay.

I have five weeks to do this, but six posts. :)
Thank you for following along.

Lately, I've been on Instagram , just posting what inspires me in daily life.


Sharing with:
ORC guest


57 comments:

  1. how exciting! i am so looking forward to seeing how it goes. have fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I hope it to be not to difficult, just some work. :) xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. It is a lovely room already but it will be fun to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorri. I agree, but I became so tired of the color and darkness that I dreaded it. xoxo Su

      Delete
  3. Hi dear friend,, tú casa es realmente bonita , me encanta cada rincón de ella, que tengas un buen día, cariños ,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Angelica. Tener un dia maravilloso. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. Am inspired seeing your bedroom in its current state. Tells me there's hope for us all if someone like you with such beautiful rooms can slip into disorder and chaos due to storing treasures for future projects. This is always my downfall, but I am working on it. Will be following along because you're on my bloglist and I never miss a post. Please help us paint-color-challenged girls out by listing the brand and color of paint you decide to use for your room when you paint it. Can't wait to see the progress you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, RC, for such a sweet comment. I will. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. Love the inspirational photos you selected...it will be lovely! Looking forward following along with your progress as we all tackle our ORC projects these next few weeks! Kristin @ Postbox Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can visualize your bedroom turning into a quiet and beautiful sanctuary. Landscape paintings will be pretty on the walls too, if you have them.
    There is always that one room, the computer room is ours.
    Looking forward to see the reveal, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. I do have a few. I'm enjoying this weather, and I hope it brings more rain. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  7. I am anxious to watch you transform this room. It will be so bright and fresh :) We also have a bedroom that is waiting for a makeover. I'm hoping to get going on it this summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. It will be good to get this completed. My life will be a little more ordered for a couple of years. ;) xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. Quite a large project! I look forward to all you will be sharing.
    Hugs,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. I'm going to paint that armoire, and I'm switching the dressers. It actually will look better in the library. xoxo Su

      Delete
  9. Sweet friend, what an exciting and fun adventure awaits you :) I looks forward to seeing your beautiful bedroom when it's all done.

    Happy hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie. I've had my hands full these past few weeks. Always so wonderful to hear from you my dear. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. Su,
    A French Nordic Sanctuary with the soothing comfort from the color of cream will be exciting to see. I look forward to following your ORC and I know with your imagination and artistic soul the room will be graced by your travels and whimsy will delight. Decluttering is always the hardest I think the paint is fun and instant gratification. Su how about adding dimension to your walls with rubbing a wash of taupe over the cream? Sending a photo via email in a minute. Roll up your sleeves and let your creativity run free.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vera, for such sweet encouragement and inspiration. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. Hi Su,
    So exciting I cannot wait to see what you do. You go girl!
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. I really have my hands filled lately, but I am really looking forward to tackling this. It will make my life easier. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. French Nordic Sanctuary! I am so curious. I am looking forward to see what you do with this space. I see that this is your first time participating in ORC, me too. I am renovating my kids' room... best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mila. And likewise! Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. Looking forward Su to the changes you make to your room, it's always fun and exciting to make changes, I am about due one a couple of big ones, and living in enough space for two it just does not have the best layout for where piece would look best, so making do and creating illusions is what I face when changing up anything around here.

    I also enjoy seeing what you are up to. Will wait excitedly :)

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dore. It can be good to have these limitations. Love your pottery. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  14. This will be quite a transformation. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda, for the fun opportunity to join as a guest. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. I am so excited for you and can hardly wait to see the end results. Good luck and I will be following to see what your up to.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, for your sweet visit. Have a wonderful weekend, and I too, am hoping for some more rain! xoxo Su

      Delete
  16. Oh fun, sounds like you have some neat ideas and great inspiration. I'll enjoy watching the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki for following along. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. Looking forward to following along. I know it will be a wonderful room when you have it all pulled together. I admire you! I need to get motivated to change up some things around here too. I started a list tonight. That's a start! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have no doubt that you will transform your room into something spectacular!! I love your taste, Su. You have a definite style that I really adore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so much, Kim. I've put this off for some time, and it will be good to have some order again. xoxo Su

      Delete
  19. I so love your bedroom now, my lovely, I wonder how charming it will become after the changes you've on your mind, you're so of good taste !

    Sending blessings on your weekend, dearest Su,
    with love and thankfulness

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dany. I like it now too, except for the color. It will be simple changes, cleaning, and some work. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  20. I can't wait to see what you do in this room Su. I already know it will be beautiful! Thanks for the great idea for more space for my clothes...I think I need to start shopping for a canopy bed asap :))))
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't wait to see what you do in this room Su. I already know it will be beautiful! Thanks for the great idea for more space for my clothes...I think I need to start shopping for a canopy bed asap :))))
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, June. It is funny, and it is true that my daughter's is curved and can't hold any thing. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  22. I' m looking forward to seeing what you do in this pretty room
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. I hope to get it cleaned out and organized soon! xoxo Su

      Delete
  23. can't wait to see your transformation! I am doing ORC too for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, DD. How terrific! Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  24. All I have to say at this point, Su, is that I am SO giddy to know You Are Real!! Enjoy the process! Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so much dear Cindy. I am. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  25. I'm excited for you, Su. A change is always nice and I know you'll create something cosy and special. Just don't get too bothered, it's a dusty process :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amalia. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  26. It seems that you already have many ideas to transform the room and I know you'll work your magic to make it a very serene room.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Best wishes my friend. I am so happy you keep it real. I like that about you. :-)
    We cleaned our bedroom last weekend. Washed the walls, moved the furniture and decluttered. It felt great to get it done.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good to get a room clean. It's amazing how much, at least here, the clutter we can accumulate. It is freeing. xoxo Su

      Delete
  28. How fun it will be to follow along on your ORC. You have some great ideas, and I know it will be breathtaking when you're finished. Just like the rest of your home. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  29. P.S. I agree with Carla. I like that you "keep it real". Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Su, I can't wait to see how it turns out! No doubt it will be absolutely stunning! Adorable kitty shot! Just adorable amidst it all! :) xo Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su