13 April 2016

One Room Challenge 2 Remaking Our "Master" Bedroom







Choosing Wall Paint for Our Bedroom and an incidental remake of our library.


We remodeled this entire house in four years, but at that time, when it came to our bedroom, I had so much trouble selecting a color, because I wanted to display our art collection.

I almost stayed the same color, and called this off.
The old color was SW Bamboo Shoot.


Then I almost drifted away from my Nordic inspiration, and chose a lighter green from Ralph Lauren, but my daughter pointed out it was too close and conserve my energy.  Here is a photo of it lying on some Sherwin Williams chips.


But changing the color was still on my mind, so  I returned to Sherwin Williams colors to study  coastal and luxe.


I also went to Home Depot.
Look at all these samples. These are Ralph Lauren paint chips.



I was so conflicted about this room.
How was I going to get a French Nordic look with the dark furniture. I loved the armoire on the left, and I thought that there was no way I was going to paint it.
But while I was at the HD,  a vision of my room just popped into my head, and I said, "Lets go home and measure."

The room when we started the ORC.


I have two large chests of drawers in my home. One is in the bedroom I am redoing. It's on the left in the above photo, and the other is in our library, and the pieces are approximately the same size. The measurements showed that the darker one is 50 x 17 and that the lighter one  is 45 x 18.



The vision that popped into my head involved switching them.
Our library is gray, and the piece previously beside my bed has grays and charcoals and other colors that pick up the colors of the books.
My spouse moved the lighter colored one to my bedroom, and pushed the dark one aside, while I studied it. I decided to keep the lighter colored one in my bedroom, and I had him move the darker to the library, and it looked perfect in the library and better.

This is the lighter chest as it appeared in the library before we moved to our bedroom.






The darker console is now in the room below and can be seen in the collage below. This room is what we call our Madhatter Library, and this is how it looks now, and I think the darker console looks better than the light one did. I left the room the same, except that I switched the previous light gray library table with one from another room and then, I painted the one I moved here: Annie Sloan Graphite. This table was a really nice wood table, but white, and I know it was under 100 dollars when I found it. What can I say, this is a small house, and it is often like that around here: two rooms for one. I plan to eventually redo the fireplace in the library, but for now it stays this way until our bedroom is completed for the One Room Challenge.

The Transformed Library and the Before


and the entire library before is here.

Subtle change... Library Now (painted a table graphite, changed the console, put the rug back down, and rocking horse beneath window)


Switcheroo

With the furniture switched, I could finally select a wall color for the bedroom! I didn't have to choose something that would look good with the dark wood, because I would paint the armoire and small chest, but not the unique console. This is the color that I decided to paint the armoire and the chest in front of my bed: Annie Sloan Old White.




The armoire that I am painting is not an antique. It is fifteen years old, and actually, Ethan Allen sells them custom painted armoires now. I purchased this armoire, before I started furnishing my home with vintage furniture.

So now, what light color to choose for the walls?

I dislike tan or khaki. In my opinion, it looks so grungy in an old desert house unless it is an adobe or Mediterranean. I also dislike beige if it has yellow undertones. I shuffled the chips all over the table again, as if I was cleaning up after a card game. Silver gray was "too glam" according to my daughter. 

Finally, I decided to go with the Ralph Lauren 
rock.

I watched my spouse as he applied the first coat. The green showed through just a tad, but by the second coat there was good coverage. We did not prime. I primed the last time to cover the previous owner's navy, and the green kept chipping over the primer, perhaps because the walls are plaster.

With the second coat finished, it reminded me of my father's putty with ever so slight a hit of a fresh green undertone. I liked it. But I waited to do behind the bed, until my spouse could move my light dresser in front of it to see if was going to be an okay color. 
It was! I felt like the oppression just left the room. It made me feel tranquil and at peace.
So he proceeded with the rest of the painting.  It's hard to see from this photograph,
but it really is pretty.


This top coat is going to take a speciality coating application that is labor intensive, because it is done by hand.





A patina finish that is suppose to give it a polished plaster look.
This is labor intensive, so we will be working on it in the week to come.

Thank you for following along.
xoxo
Su



Sharing with:

Calling it Home One Room Challenge

Week One




Sharing my library changes with:


Thoughts of Home on Thursday




Shabby Art Boutique

60 comments:

  1. So exiting. I look forward to see when it`s finished.
    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bente. Have a wonderful day. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. Your room looks beautiful with all the things. Waiting to see your room after the color change...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a small budget, with switching pieces around, but I enjoy the process. Thank you for visiting. I started following you. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. Interesting to see the whole process and I cannot wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine your bedroom looking more beautiful! But it's fun to make changes. You have such gorgeous bedding! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I agree that it is pretty to begin with, but I was so tired of the green. I love soft romantic colors more than I do the brighter ones, so that's why it wore me out. xoxo Su

      Delete
  6. Personally - I love the green. We just bought a house and they left no evidence of the paint colors or even an old empty bucket in the basement. We love the color but it needs repainting. Doesn't that drive you crazy. I know that whatever you do Su it will be classy and striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bernideen, I wish I were not weary of it. Yes. That would drive me crazy, because it means repainting everything. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. We have to WAIT?? Can't you work any faster?? :) LOL this was fun to read / I'll look forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. I wish that I could do this faster! :) xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. We have to WAIT?? Can't you work any faster?? :) LOL this was fun to read / I'll look forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the putty color, Su, and can't wait to see it with the patina topcoat. The texture of your walls looks very much like the texture on mine, so it's going to be fun to see how yours turn out. Your library is lovely. I love the contrast of the dark with the gray. You have such great taste. Everything you do is beautiful. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I'm not so sure about the texture, but it doesn't say it has to be on a flat wall. We'll see. :) xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. Hi dear friend !! Que bonita quedo la transformación de esa habitación , me encanta el color verde que elegiste

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, a tranquil bedroom with a quiet color. It'll be nice for you to get your bedroom back to rights. It's great to switch furniture around, free! Enjoy the day, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. I know. It's great. I have always found it easy to do in my home, because my style is pretty consistent. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. You are very creative. I' m looking forward to seeing your bedroom after the colour change
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. Me too, my dear. :) Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. I like the chests switched, they look better where you have them now. I would say that your bedroom is coming together very nicely.

    I think you have done a lot in the 4 years, soon you will be able to sit back and enjoy your work.

    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I thought so too. It was a pleasant surprise to realize that! xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. Love the chests switched!! I always wanted a library and I love those chairs!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. We made it by using some old cabinets that we painted. Then I found the glass cabinet that worked the ones we attached to the wall. The chairs came from a second hand store, and I think I paid 100 each about a year or so ago. The French chairs are really well made. They were made in California in 1980. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. Isn't it fun when the solution turns out to be so easy?! I am enjoying following along with the makeover of your bedroom. Love the Madhatter library!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Su what a smart switcheroo! I adore the direction that your room is headed towards! You did SO much better than I did in my room this week. I would love for you to share this post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. I think my readers would really enjoy it!

    Good luck and see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Best wishes to you too. I will. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. Su don't you just love switching things around? I think it's fun and always gives a fresh perspective to the piece. Your plans sound exciting, paint color's pretty and serene and love the updates in the library.
    Following along is fun.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  18. It's a beautiful bed, and when this room is done it will be amazing. I too love to switch pieces around and also change them up so not to be what they once were to what they are now!
    I have an Ethan Allen chest of drawers in my daughters room that a few years ago I painted it to alter its mass produced feel to a piece that fools the eye to as being much older then it is. So I say go for it, create all the beauty you want Su, it will only inspire the best from you.

    Cannot wait to see all the beauty and inspiration you inspire here.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dore, for the inspiration. xoxo Su

      Delete
  19. I love the 2 matching chairs in your library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. Those chairs were finds in a second hand store! I think they were about 200 or a little more for both! xoxo Su

      Delete
  20. You have the best furniture pieces, Su! I like the paint color you chose and can't wait to see the finished result. You are much more ambitious than I am, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. Well, I don't know about that :) When I work on something the rest of the house goes to seed. xoxo Su

      Delete
  21. I can't wait to see the big reveal! I have Ralph Lauren shades in my family room and guest bath. I LOVE the colors, so rich and they have stood the test of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I like their paints too. Good to know that it lasts in a bath! xoxo Su

      Delete
  22. Deciding on a colour is so difficult, it's a huge step ahead that you found the perfect wall colour for your vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. I agree. There are hundreds of whites! xoox Su

      Delete
  23. Your projects and design sense are always a treat for the eye.
    I look forward to your ORC updates!
    Thank you for sharing this at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.
    We are so glad you are here.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint
    TOHOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  24. It is going to be wonderful Su. You cannot go wrong with Ralph Lauren...love him and his brand. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerrie. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  25. Oh my word, this is going to be gorgeous! You really do have the knack for making things extra special. Can't wait to see how this goes.

    Thanks for joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. We love having you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey, and thank you for the paper and straws. It is so cute. My daughter took the candy bar! xoxo Su

      Delete
  26. I am so excited for you. I know it can be stressful and a lot of work, but you will be so happy.
    You are so creative. :-) I love how your family works together.
    I will be on Spring Break next week, catch up soon. Take Care, Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful spring break! I hope the weather cooperates with your outdoor activities. xoxo Su

      Delete
  27. So many decisions loving your choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, PV. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  28. I love the style and shape of your dressers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I've always loved furniture with curves and paint. xoxo Su

      Delete
  29. love your chests...all those paint chips would drive me crazy but I know you will chose the perfect one...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love reading all your thought processes.
    I have moved almost every piece of furniture I own around my home and it's amazing how it suddenly can start a whole new direction.
    Loving it! Can't wait to see more!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think the switch in the library is perfect! Looking forward to more updates dearie! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looking forward to each step. I know it will be gorgeous! Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su