14 January 2016

Teen She Shed Part 2



This was a project that my daughter and I spent months planning. Here is my Pinterest Shed Board but we had a private shared board that we both posted to during the planning stage. She is actually doing this for a project.









She wanted her space white like the chair in her bedroom with an accent of her favorite color, and perhaps a  place for her decorative map of Paris..
There are lots of color in this Monet painting, and one of them is her favorite.









She desired Simple... like the place she stays in northern Italy with wood.








We pass this place with the goats on the way to ours. There is a bench across the street where we rest on the way up.  Imagine Heidi in the old Shirley Temple movie; in the days before cars, if there were snow, you probably could go down the hill in a sled or on skis.









It also had to have a place for some of her books, a place to draw, and a place for some of her collections. (She loves art history and all the arts, and Cats Galore: A Compendium of Cultured Cats is a fun book if you are into painting, Shakespeare, and opera. There is even a movie section, but my daughter prefers the prior categories. "Cats" painted by Susan Herbert appear in famous paintings.









She wanted a chandelier for the overhead lighting. This one lit a shop in Burano, Italy.











She wanted two windows and one had to overlook the garden, and it had to have electricity for light and cooling, because it gets too hot in the spring to use it. She also wanted to be able to run a little heater for early mornings and evenings.









We started with this shed that my spouse built from a kit from HD four years ago.
Though we actually took her shopping to Tuff Shed. They make beautiful sheds well-constructed outbuildings that they put together for you, but we decided we had to remodel ours, because our budget to do this was 1/3 of what it would cost to start over and make it functional with a finished interior. Our shed was perfectly fine. It is on a foundation about six inches above ground, and the rock was brought up to it last spring. So she had to budget for an electrician, lighting, insulation, windows, siding and planking, and floors. She did not need to budget furnishings; we have some to choose from, because this is a smaller home than our previous home. Plus, she has a few pieces of her own.











She is not old enough to drive, so we next took her shopping for doors and windows. 
She went with ones with mullions.










My spouse framed in the side window without a hitch. 
But for the second window and door required my spouse to reframe one wall with 2 x4s.






Here is the window she wanted to overlook the garden, and that was simple.







And here is what happened to the front. At this point, it looked like a mistake. It began to rain before he could reframe. It rained for a week, which is really unusual, so he patched it up with the siding that he took down so he could stop the rain from getting in.
Next  is probably flooring choices.

Thank you for reading and your wonderful comments and insight.

xoxo 

Su


Sharing with:

54 comments:

  1. Your daughter knows what she wants and sounds she is in love with interior design - but she has a role model to look upon and learn from. Good luck with the shed!I cannot wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya. She does have an interest, but she is very artistic in many areas. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. I really love how you are involving your daughter in this! I would have loved to do a project like that with my parents! I'm looking forward to more about this shed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  3. An art studio! I love the book with the kitty on the cover. A beautiful view from the new window. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book. She actually saw some giclee or prints by this artist in Venice. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. An exciting project to work on together, and I'm sure your daughter will learn quite a bit about building & remodeling! Have fun!!!
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. I think so too. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. I can already tell it's going to be amazing!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trisha. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  6. I know this is going to be amazing and how fun that your daughter is getting so involved in the process. Have lots of fun working on this together. I cannot wait to see it done.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. I know. My daughter hoped we would be done by Christmas, but we are almost there. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. What a lucky girl and wow, she certainly has some fabulous taste. I can't wait to see how this turns out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. She does have really good taste. xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. What a great idea. Your daughter has got a very good style!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kuni, I agree. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  9. What a fun idea and I love her inspiration pictures. There are so many things that your daughter will be exposed to in this process. She will have an opportunity to put ideas into place and see how they work. She should learn some carpentry skills. And having a budget that requires her to evaluate options and make good choices is a good learning experience. All good skills that a lot of her peers will not have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorri. I agree. You made many good points. xoox Su

      Delete
  10. Su,
    Reading she shed part 2 I'm excited for your daughter and seeing she shed part 3. Simple white décor with a accent of favorite color, jeweled with a Chandelier and surrounded by Art and books sounds like a dreamy place to plan and dream. What a fun project to create with your daughter.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Su, sure enjoying this adventure with your daughter to design her She Shed. It will be outstanding. Love all the elements she is choosing. So much fun. Looking forward to the completion. Have a great weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CM. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. Darling Su, it's amazing when we go and realize a project, isn't it, especially when it involves all the family, to work all together is a blessing to me !
    Thank you for sharing your work and enthusiasm with us, sweet friend,
    have a most beautiful end of your week
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dany. It is very satisfying to see a project to fruition. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. Quite a project! Looking forward to seeing the remodel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Thank you, Rose. Have a great weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. Your daughter will appreciate this space even more because it's her own project. You're giving her the best start by providing her with travel and cultural experiences. These will be reflected in her Shed and other studies. It's lovely that you have shared interests and your husband can help with the building work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. It is wonderful to have shared interests with your children like the arts and so on. xoxo Su

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful project to share with your daughter--can't wait to see the finished results!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting to plan and transform your shed I to a special place for your lucky girl! Can't wait to see the end result. We all wish we had a small place like this of our very own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lidy. She is really excited, and has put a lot of thought into it. I enjoyed your feature at Janet's Rosemary-Thyme. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. All the things she is learning from her project and having fun, too. So very cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee. Have a wonderful weekend. xoox Su

      Delete
  18. This is just astounding! Not just the project but that your daughter is involved in each step of planning. What a foundation for her having the confidence to tackle many difficult things in her future, not to mention what just being in this space when it's done will help shape her.

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dewena for your encouragement. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  19. How lucky she is! I would have loved so much to do this when I was her age.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
    Your daughter has amazing taste just like her Mom.
    I am excited to see what you two will do.
    I don't have a daughter but my youngest niece and I always enjoying doing things together.
    I can just imagine how much fun you both will have.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindi. She is so happy that one of her outdoor rescue cats has been coming by and hanging out as she works. xoox Su

      Delete
  21. I can't wait to see the reveal here Su, what a dreamy place this will be, a little studio getaway! I am sure you will pull up a chair for visits as well :)
    This place of peace will be more then a she teen shed, it's going to be a teen dream come true.

    Xx
    Hurry so we can see the beauty :)

    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dore. You are right. It is a dream come true for her. We worked a few hours on it this morning. We are getting down to the details now. xoxo Su

      Delete
  22. Her own project. . where she has to budget for all the improvements, too. I think that's just great. She's going to learn so much. I love the fact that the shed is part of the garden. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. It is going to fit nicely in now, and will look related to the porch thanks to her good planning. xoxo Su

      Delete
  23. Hi,
    I think this is so important for our kids. Our boys made a tree house and we did some of the things you and your husband have done. I think it is a great life lesson for them.
    I am really excited to see the next part.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so wonderful, Carla, and I agree with both of you. You know I was wondering if they had a tree house or a fort... Because if I had sons, I would desire similar. Strong trees are not easy to find in the desert, but something could be built around one! I know this is more than I had when I was young, because I had ten siblings, but we would build forts from scrap and set up tents. For a while, we had a tent set for my daughter, but feral cats ruined it. She also tried to use the shed without insulation and windows, but it is just too hot most of the year, except for a couple of hours on a winter morning. We figured since it is a small house this will add some living area, and it is a retreat when there are visitors and sleeping arrangements need to be changed. xoxo Su

      Delete
  24. It' s going to be amazing! Enjoy with your daughter.
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  25. I'm enjoying seeing the process. What a great education she is getting in this project.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. She is very sophisticated. xoxo Su

      Delete
  27. Su, I love the photo of y'all in the L'Orangerie viewing Monet's Waterlilies :)

    I really love your daughter's taste, and I know the teen she shed is going to be remarkable! I can't wait for the big reveal!

    Thanks so, so much for linking to Literary Friday!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is so beautiful. I loved taking her there. xoxo Su

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su