11 October 2015

Color Inspiration from Burano

In my last post, I showed many beautiful colors from the island of Burano, Italy. Some of you loved this blue shutter with its beautifully faded color and rust tinged hinges. It was not easy for my daughter to finalize a color choice, because she loved so many colors from Italy, but in the end she decided this photo of the shutter was her favorite! Yes, this vintage worn color on this shutter inspired my daughter to change the color on a piece of furniture in her room.  The "before" photo below was taken by my daughter during last Christmas season.





About a year or so ago, she found this piece for about thirty five dollars. It came with the funky shade of mint. She loved mint, but she did not like how the paint was applied, and she was a little tired of the color.  It also bothered her that the handles were put on upside down.





So here it is now....



We painted right over the mint with Annie Sloan Chalk paint. It took a couple of coats.
We used Louis Blue. It was not quite the color she was going for, 
so we applied a couple of coats of Liming Briwax over it. 
The lime wax whitened the color and gave it a shimmer. Also, the white in the wax gets caught in the grooves, carvings, and scratches. I used an old ikea kitchen towel to apply the wax. 
I also buffed the wax.
The handles were painted with Rust-oleum hammered gold. We added wheels to this table a while back, so we painted those hammered gold as well, and now they look like brass. 





























It's similar... She did not want any sanding or anything as unrefined as the mint.  Beautiful color...



Thank you for visiting and all your sweet messages.
Next time some inspiration from Paris...





Sharing with:




French Country Cottage

Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday



48 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Have a wonderful week. xoox Su

      Delete
  2. Wow su you did a fabulous job painting the dresser that really pretty blue and I love the pulls painted dark gold! Yiu both have great taste!
    Have a wonderful week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I love doing projects like this. xoxo Su

      Delete
  3. I love the way it turned out...the color is beautiful. Lots of work but so worth it in the end. xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. I love these kind of projects. xoox Su

      Delete
  4. very nice photos ;-).
    Greetings from bavaria from Reserl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tajana, I hope all is well in Bavaria. I loved your post. Such gorgeous cats. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. It is indeed a lovely color and you did a fantastic job! It is a fabulous stand and she was right about the handles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty, one of my favourite shades of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the photos, the color looks spot on! I love the soft blue color with the gold painted handles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very lovely colour. Great job!
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new colour and the gold handles! Looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. It's good to do something different. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. So great Su that you and your daughter could work on this together. The new color is gorgeous and the piece is really pretty. Looking so good.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. Projects keep us busy. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. Su,
    I too was one of the post readers that was awe struck by the faded blue shutter. Your daughters and your effort on her side table turned out a true beauty. I am glad you tried the bri-wax liming because since I used it on our barn beams I've been inventing more uses for it. I use a micro cloth to apply the wax. The handles look perfect now, really turned out beautiful.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera. The color of the shutter was stunning. I would love to know the ways you are using the lime bri-wax. I'm thinking of using it on a large bookcase in the living room that is a shade of wood with carvings. I also think that a micro cloth sounds like a great idea, and there might be less use of wax. I chose this cloth, because I was out of cheese cloth. I use that if I use Annie Sloan wax, however the consistency of this wax was much easier to work with, so it probably wasn't necessary as it didn't leave a build up if I applied too much. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. It came out gorgeous, and I love that it will remind her of the shutter as well! :)
    Lovely photos as well. Such a talented family.
    Hugs,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember your prior post about the colors and inspiration ....and now what a lovely transformation result ...your duo did a wonderful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that paint color is so pretty. It turned out wonderful.. a perfect match with the blue shutter.
    Hugs... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, it turned out just lovely. Love the beautiful color.

    Hugs,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  16. Hi Su, Love the color. This turned out beautiful from the inspiration of the faded blue shutter. The hardware is the perfect compliment. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great week. cm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, she has a great decorating eye. :-)
    I love the colors.
    Have a blessed week,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow, Su! I'd say you nailed it. The table looks like it's the same color as the shutter! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful choice! It turned out lovely! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great makeover. I love the new color. I've been drawn to shades of blue a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The shutter are great and so neat that you had the inspiration--great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The lovely blue colour is perfect for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. It's such a pretty shade when softened. xoxo Su

      Delete
  23. It looks great. I love the shade of blue and the hammered gold hardware. Gorgeous. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I love these kind of projects. xoxo Su

      Delete
  24. I just painted a piece using annie sloans louis blue , I would like to know where to purchase the liming wax, I like the blue but would like it toned down a bit, thanks Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su