13 October 2015

Bagatelle Paris


This is near the entrance to the Chateau of Bagatelle. It's a parc on what seems the edge of Paris. It's actually a parc within a parc called the Bois de Bologne.
Isn't it pretty? I think it was a guard house at one time. I think it is prettier than the chateau that we are going to see. I just love the grays.
This parc has a lodge that once housed guests in Louis the xvi time. At that time, this residence was located in the middle of the bois, the wood, where they hunted, and it includes a lake. To get here we took the metro, but I recommend a taxi, because the walk is really far, and there are no restrooms until you get here. I walk five miles a day, and when I was in Europe I was probably walking seven; but, there and back to the metro was probably more than seven, because I was exhausted. Furthermore, I did not walk it as easily as I did when I was in college twenty five years ago. Besides there is a little problem after three o'clock.







As you can see there are some open fields in the parc. There are also grottos with running water,  geese, peacocks, and lots of stray cats.







We were headed here first. My spouse and I wanted to show my daughter where he proposed twenty-five and half years ago. (It was almost our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary when we were here, just less than month away.)







This is the interior; notice the details of chinoiserie. Of course, she being a younger teen, was not too interested in our story, but she did enjoy the gardens. 







This is the view from the gazebo.







There are hundreds of rose bushes to browse.







I've also walked these gardens in the spring, and then they are filled with blooming tulips. 








I think this is the orangerie.







We stopped for tea and gelato and to rest our feet.








And here is the pink chateau, in the neoclassical style. It was built in about three months as a bet with Marie Antoinette that it could be built that fast. Bagatelle means trifle. It's the prettiest pale shade of pink.










And finally here is one of those stray kitty, a resident in the parc.
We headed back to the metro around
three o'clock, and the walk seemed to drag on and on. In August there was light until nearly ten, and even though it was not dark and just mid afternoon, the nightlife in the woods 
that you want to avoid was active. 
It is all very funny in retrospect. Take a taxi, it is worth seeing.  And there are no crowds.





Sharing with:




48 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. It really is one of the prettiest man-made sites I've seen, and it was special to return. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. Wow these pictures are so beautiful and super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Imogen. It's a lovely place to visit. xoox Su

      Delete
  3. What a magical place you visited! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a romantic place for a proposal! Wow! One of my favorite stores here in Birmingham is Bagatelle. Thanks for your fantastic photos. I wish I could bottle the pink of the chateau. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every picture is so beautiful. The gardens are just so inspiring to my gardener soul. I love that you three travel together as a family. I can't wait to take the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. The gardens are so beautiful. My daughter and I were without him for just over three weeks, and then he caught up with us for the last couple of weeks. xoxo Su

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing these beautiful places! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures, Su and how wonderful that your visit coincided closely with your anniversary. What an amazing place for a proposal. Now that's a story, I'd like to hear...a proposal in Paris...ah, so romantic! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How enchanting, Su. It is wonderful you could take your daughter, too. Someday she will fully appreciate the story that you shared with her and remember where she was when she heard it. I got tired walking along with you. lol Just a wonderful post! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My daughter and I thought we were not going to make it back, but my spouse kept pushing us on. Not one taxi passed by. xoxo Su

      Delete
  9. So very tranquil, (except for those furry forest critters!), Su! How lovely to have revisited a place which has such romantic significance to you and your husband and how wonderful to be able to show it to your daughter. The architecture is stunning, and I know you adore the hues.

    Thanks for sharing. Your header is simply charming!

    xoxo
    Poppy


    ReplyDelete
  10. The guardhouse and gazebo are absolutely gorgeous and what a romantic place for a proposal!! I even thought how extra romantic it would be if when your daughter finds the right man later in her life and he takes her there to propose!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet a wish, Rose. I love it. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. Oh sweet girl, I wish I could have seen this in person. Your funny little girl..when it's time for her to get a proposal..won't it be so different. :):) Hope your anniversary was a happy one. The buildings and the garden are just beyond beautiful. I di laugh seeing those geese ...are they every where ion the world. ? Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Su, how gorgeous it is there and how wonderful your daughter was able to visit too.
    I hope to see Paris someday in the future. How nice to be able to travel and visit different places.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. My daughter has studied there in the summer for two years now. Paris is wonderful. That would be my first choice as well. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. So very beautiful, Su! And how wonderful that you could visit where you were engaged once again. A very long walk, but so worth it!
    Hugs,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so much Lin. It was just as beautiful as I remembered it. Hugs. xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous place to celebrate your anniversary, even if it wasn't on the exact date. I'd love to visit there! So nice of you to show us around. Just lovely, Su.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,
    Oh, I would love to hear the proposal story. :-)))

    Your photos are lovely and I am so happy to take tours with you.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. Su how very romantic - a proposal in the 16th arrondissement of Paris, magical. I can see it as a guard house of yesteryear but would not of if you hadn't said that. I enjoyed reading your post and your delightful share. Park setting, husband and daughter at Chateu of Bagatelle very enchanting.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Paris. The secret for us is to get away from the tourists. We had to do some touristy things, because my daughter had not been before, but she ended up enjoying the things off the beaten path more or alternatives. For example, she didn't want to wait in line to go up the Eiffel Tower, but instead wanted to sit outside on the grass sipping lemonade, while she waited for them to light it. There is a few minute light show on the hour after dark. She saw an overview of the city from some other locations. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. Romance at its finest, and wonderful memories you are continuing to conjure up with return visits.
    So would love to move there, and take on a life of art and inspiration. You my dear have experienced what most would never be able to and love reading all about it through your inspiring blog. I am planning a holiday to Europe this coming year.

    Will have to plan carefully what I want from it, and what I will bring back for its beauty and the Awww! Experiancing moments.

    Thank you for this share.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dore.
      How exciting for you to be soon visiting! I agree that it requires a lot of planning. And I look forward to hearing all about it. xoxo Su

      Delete
  18. So love traveling with you, you are a wonderful guide! Thank you for taking me to such gorgeous places! I appreciate that you are the one walking, riding in taxis and having to avoid the wildlife and such so that I can tag along! xo Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri. Cute note. Made me smile. xoxo Su

      Delete
  19. What a wonderful place to receive a marriage proposal! I imagine that your daughter was listening more than you might realize. Don't be surprised when she knows the story and where it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee. I think you are probably right. xoxo Su

      Delete
  20. Three months to build the chateau? Unbelievable. It's so very pretty. I can't imagine a more romantic place to receive a marriage proposal. i think it's endearing that your spouse wanted your daughter to see it. Lovely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. how romantic! Such a gorgeous setting for a proposal!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh such beautiful pictures Su!! What a dream to visit. Stray kitties every where, gotta love that! :) How romantic that you were there close to your anniversary. xoxoxoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su