02 May 2015

Potting Shed and Crafting Studio


Today, I want to show you our special potting shed. I have not shown it in awhile because it seems everything was tossed in it for the big projects: first the sleeping porch, then my spouse's office, then the backyard. But we are about done with the major renovations and repairs, so I thought it was time to tackle it again.









Do you like to drink sun tea? It's warm enough, so if you like, grab a glass of ice. It's only a small home, but in the carport there is an office and a potting shed, and we are going to enter from the backyard. The special part of this old house or almost any old house is its nooks and crannies.










This is the backside of the house that we just fixed, and to the left is the new locking gate that was just installed. It's also one way the kitties enter the carport and potting shed, because the gate is open on the top. ( I left the covers on the patio furniture, because that's how it looks unless I'm sitting here. Covers make outdoor furniture last longer in our sun, otherwise the sling chairs' cloth would wear in a year or two instead of three or perhaps four. )









We can also get to the potting shed by going out the kitchen door, turning left, and walking down a hallway, and on its right is my spouse's enclosed office and a potting shed.  But this way is more inviting, and the kitties agree. (Just so you know, in the above photo I cropped out the kitty foot prints on the gate.)









Almost two years ago exactly, my spouse and I installed shelving on the walls and on the left, and more recently we realized we had room for another unit if we moved the tool box. There is quite a bit of storage on the left. Originally, we organized and installed shelving in the potting shed, so we could work on the sleeping porch. The cabinets were just an obsolete television unit that my spouse reconfigured and partially rebuilt in an interesting way. At the time, I left them darkly stained, but it doesn't really suit the direction the cottage took, so I decided to paint. We used ASCP French Linen, because gray does not show dirt. 









Here is where the faux topped metal table went. It is for painting and craft projects; my daughter and I are also going to use this shed as an art studio. We had planned to put our studio in the secured free-standing shed, free of kitties, but that is just not happening, because as much as we have down-sized, there is some extra furniture. And, recently my daughter reminded me that she will be off to school in not so many years, and she wants it, and to please stop giving it away and save the rest for her. We left the floors the way they were, because we like the patina.










The metal table is 32 x 24. It's about the size of a craft table that I could have bought except that they were all too modern for this space. Fake wood or glass would not work. Furthermore, the table had to fit this space in front of the stone counter top and be easily movable. The stone counter top is a remnant of canterra, which comes in many colors from Mexico. It is a very beautiful, natural stone that artisans carve. My St. Francis garden statue is carved from this type of stone.









We have lots of cabinets, counter tops, and shelving space for painting and potting supplies, and because my spouse's office is next door there is internet if needed. This space gets a lot more natural light than his office, which is in the middle of the carport.










I also rearranged what we already had, and made it more cottage. The change is mostly all due to paint, except for the table project, and some new pulls.










This is also where my old refrigerator went that was half the wall of the kitchen before we remodeled and found an appropriate size, however it died, and this is one I found about six months ago at a scratch, dent, and reject appliance dealer for 1/3 of what a new one costs without a tiny scratch. We need it for the freezer. I think between us and the kitties, it has a good chance of being scratched, so I don't have to feel bad.

















My daughter and I, besides garden, both paint and craft so we are happy to have this enclosed work space. And, there is bunches of storage for paints and paintbrushes, because the tools were relocated. You see when we knocked down the extra wall in the backyard, we saved a bit of wall, and had a gate constructed to attach to the remaining wall to make a storage area. So now all the tools are in a tool bin behind another gate.









The door is one we temporarily took down, because we rather have the library open ( the door to the middle bedroom). Those are some wooden paintings that I found at a vintage store, and they came from Italy.







This is Dinah, she is the cat that decided to move in.  Now that we have a dedicated space, we hope to be doing more painting, drawing, creating, and projects. 


I am changing the format on my newer posts. You can click "read more" to read more, but the trick is if you just click on "comment", you can read the entire post by scrolling up and comment at the same time.

Thank you for your visits and sweet comments. 
xoxo 
Su 


Featured:

Photobucket









93 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! And even better with Dinah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. It was a big job cleaning it up. The cleaning was the work. The painting went easily. xoxo Su

      Delete
  3. That is a GREAT space, Su. What a wonderful area to call "your own" and be able to craft to your heart's content without having the mess in the house. It's perfect-- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea! It's such a small home that the mess spreads, and we can't find what we need. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic place...just as cute as it can be and so useful. I LOVE that olden door by the fridge..I love it ALL....
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BJ. That's one of the old doors in the house. I still have all of them up, but I took one down because we don't need it on the library, but if we ever do we can hang it back up. xoxo Su They are original to the house.

      Delete
  5. it's as pretty as it is functional. Well done, Su. I love it! Enjoy creating with your daughter in this lovely space. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. It's nice to have things in one place. xoxo Su

      Delete
  6. It's a lovely, bright space. I like the paint colour you chose for the cabinets - grey is so much better than a dark stain, and it withstands the dirt just as well. Have fun in your new craft area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pondside. It does. It's quite dusty in the desert. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. What a completely charming space, Su, and I agree, nooks and crannies are always the best places! Your decor is gorgeous. I love how you decorated. I could see myself hanging out there, getting my craft on, for hours! ps- I just came from Lorri's blog and I thought that she was weighing fabric too!! Ha! Took me a while to make out those asparagus stalks! Great minds think alike I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. Oh my gosh! That's so funny! We both saw the same thing. xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. Such a cozy and organized space. Evidently that sweet cat thinks so too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debby. I guess the cat likes our style :) and moved in. I couldn't send her away, because she was sick. We looked for her owners to no avail .xoox Su

      Delete
  9. Ok Su, I see I am not the only one who loves your new faux aged metal table. Perhaps Dinah has her heart set on joining you and your daughter in some art projects. I truly enjoyed your tour through the potting shed and there is so much eye candy and carefully thought out arrangements that make every thing organized and tidy. Love all your lighting and I think your shelves are similar to the ones I found at Comtainer store to use in my Laundry room. Enjoyed this post.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera. Dinah, just made herself at home, but we couldn't send her away, because she was sick. You are correct about that shelf unit. The newest one, which is not so new, to the left is from the container store.The ones you can't see, we already had, and those are elfa. The ones on the center wall are home depot. The shelves that were in here were warped, falling down, and not deep enough, so we removed them the first time we worked on this space. xoox Su

      Delete
  10. Oh wow Su, it is absolutely beautiful. A space that without a doubt will inspire wonderful creations. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. The painting went well, the hard part was the cleaning before that could be done. Have a wonderful Sunday. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. What a great space! Does it have open ceiling or skylights, it looks so bright in there? Will you be able to use it in the summer? You know, that heat thing!! Love your sweet Dinah too! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Su it's just PERFECT!! I am so jealous! my shop/studio is a huge mess. Can't wait to get through all my house stuff so I can play in my shop. :)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I really get that, it's been almost 3 years of nothing but big undertakings and moving stuff from one spot to another to fix or remodel another spot. Hopefully in the closer future for you. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful space you created! I am oh so envious, as I've always dreamed of a potting shed! That is so neat yours does double duty as a studio. Love the wire shelves and all of your fun accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna, for your sweet visit and encouragement. We really missed having a dedicated creative space, and we are really looking forward to using it even more. xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. You have a fantastic place! YOU made it fantastic and that's even more inspiring! I love looking at other people's craft rooms and yours is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya. We are really happy with the results. Have a wonderful day. xoox Su

      Delete
  15. I love this space. The french linen cupboards are beautiful, such a great colour. I can imagine this is a great spot to create. I hope you never have to pot anything, it's too nice!! Great taste in butterfly prints, they hang in my loo also!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sweet Auburn. I just intend to store the garden stuff in here. It's usually warm enough that we can put the seed into the ground. My daughter loves butterfly prints or any of those prints that look botanical or scientific. She had them in her room, but rearranged. She likes them better here. xoox Su

      Delete
  16. SO pretty, Su!! I would spend much of my time in this sunny and serene space, where creativity is sure to be inspired by the beautiful touches all around. Charming!

    Happy Sunday!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Poppy. Have a wonderful trip and vacation. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. Su what a great space. So fun to see Dinah out enjoying this space too. I think she might have found her forever home :) with all of you. Happy Sunday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely space! So calm and inviting. I'm sure you are inspired to be creative every time you walk in.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so nice to have a space that is functional and beautiful. Is the art that is displayed some of your work? Just gorgeous. I love the open shelving on the walls and the chrome unit. I like being able to see my stuff. The table is a perfect fit for this great space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently, all the artwork is in the house. Somewhere I have a metal gallery system that I was going to hang in the hallway, but I have no idea where in the other shed it is. Those wooden panels came from a second hand shop, and they were made in Italy. The butterflies are just prints that my daughter moved out of her room to here. xoxo Su

      Delete
  20. Oh I'm so jealous Su - I LOVE this space !
    The reconfigured cabinets look beautiful in there ( love French Linen too )
    You did a wonderful job ( I remember it before and loved it then - but you've taken it too a whole new level ! )
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan, I loved it before then too, but now that I lived here awhile I wanted it more similar to the rest of my style. I'm sure you know what I mean. It's been just moving the pile to work here, work there... xoox Su

      Delete
  21. How lovely to have this little space.

    The new trend I am reading about is "She Sheds" http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/gardening/a3629/she-sheds-trend/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carol. Those were fantastic, and I love yours. xoxo Su

      Delete
  22. Su, it all looks so gorgeous! So light, open, airy and peaceful! I great place to create! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Benita. Have a wonderful week. xoox Su

      Delete
  23. Hello,
    It is beautiful. I love the colors.
    I also love the Kitty Face smiling at us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla. She is such a funny cat. She thinks she owns the place, and she ignores the two outdoor boy kitties. xoxo Su

      Delete
  24. Your craft room /shed is so classy! You always make such tasteful choices, and once again you have created a beautiful place of repose. Hugs, Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  25. Your crafting studio is just dreamy! And what I'd give for some of that sun tea, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I'm really happy with how it turned out. xoxo Su

      Delete
  26. I love this room! Nothing like a wonderful work/creative space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Have a wonderful week. xoox Su

      Delete
  27. Omg, I am so jealous! :)
    I love love love it!
    You are so talented and have such great vision!
    Simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. Both of us are really happy with the space. xoox Su

      Delete
  28. Hello Su ,
    looking quite wonderful with you home and Dinah is a cute cat I like everything very well .
    Kisses and hugs from Tatjana and the seven little boys ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tajana. She is a cute cat. So funny that she made herself at home so easily. xoxo Su

      Delete
  29. What a lovely space! It looks so pretty and functional.
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. I think it is. I imagine will rearrange the supplies as we figure out how we will work in it. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  30. What an amazing space to have. I love the way you decorated in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandi. It will be useful to both of us. xoxo Su

      Delete
  31. Replies
    1. Thank you, Martina. Have a wonderful week. xoox Su

      Delete
  32. Hi Su, Amazing and the perfect space. Love everything!!
    Have a great week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CM. I'm looking forward to some projects. xoox Su

      Delete
  33. What a wonderful space you have here. I can see why the new kitty moved in. I love your choice of grey throughout and your new table is perfect for the space. Did you use French Linen ASCP? Looks like that color...one of my favorites. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerrie. Yes it is ASCP. I really like that shade of gray, and it's the gray I used on the sleeping porch as well. xoxo Su

      Delete
  34. Oh I really like the table that you re-did. This shed space is wonderful! :) And sun tea...takes me back to when my sister had a pool and I'd be out there with my kids...and she always had sun tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. We make sun tea a lot here, because it's warm. Have a wonderful week. xoox Su

      Delete
  35. Yes, I like sun tea ;-) What a great space for you and your daughter to work in! Have a great week.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  36. Beautiful! Love it all. Have a wonderful Mother's Day. Hugs, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi & greetings. You have done a wonderful job on rearranging your room. I love the way you decorated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy, for your sweet visit and comment. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  38. Wow, I like that work space!! And I see that a sweet kitty shares my opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. She chose this space first, but we had to get her better in my spouse's office next door, but now that she is well, she has made herself more comfortable. xoxo Su

      Delete
  39. I love your cottage style. And I also really like photos of cats :) They are so cute. Your new work space is so so pretty and it looks very functional too. It is so cool to how you and your family have transformed this home. I'm truly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. I agree. It is a useful space in this small home. xoox Su

      Delete
  40. Totally LOVE your beautiful potting shed!! You are so lucky to have it!!
    And the back of your home is so stunning!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie, for your sweet comment. I love the back of the house too, because my spouse and I did a lot of the work ourselves. xoox Su

      Delete
  41. Wow, this is a beautiful space. Love it.
    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bente, we are very happy with it. xoxo Su

      Delete
  42. Wow, this is a beautiful space. Love it.
    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi and thank you for a sweet comment on my blog. So happy that I found you, this is a gorgeous place you have.
    hugs from Iceland
    Stína Sæm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stina. So happy that I found yours as well, because it is beautiful. xoox Su

      Delete
  44. Hi and thank you for a sweet comment on my blog. So happy that I found you, this is a gorgeous place you have.
    hugs from Iceland
    Stína Sæm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stina. I love your blog too, so the feeling is mutual. xoox Su

      Delete
  45. Love your sweet home and all the re love you have done to it Su. Happy Mother's Day. Enjoy the week end with your hubby and daughter.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris, and likewise. Happy Mothers Day to you . xoxo Su

      Delete
  46. Hehehehe....Dinah is just adorable. Su, you never cease to amaze me with your talent. This is absolutely beautiful! How lucky to have a potting shed and art studio. I can't WAIT to see some of your paintings. Your drawings on your chalkboard are always so very beautiful! xoxoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. Isn't she a funny cat! Just blend in, no one will notice. xoxo Su

      Delete
  47. What a great potting shed, it's looks better than I could ever have. Dinah is adorable and she does have the look that it is her home. Enjoy your Mother's day with your hubs and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Cathy. It was a space that was here. At first, visitors were joking that it was for some kind of small farm animal, because it looked like a stable, but it is missing its door/gate, so a kitty can easily move in. We tried to use every nook and cranny here to create functional space and storage. Well, you understand, you have a small home too. Happy Mother's Day. xoox Su

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su