01 December 2014

Office Reveal



The Cabin

Our office in the carport cabin is finished! Though we still have to finish placing the books in the cases and making it lived in.
For those who don't follow, we turned a room in the carport between the carport and the potting shed into an office for my spouse and me. An electrician redid the electricity. My spouse and I did everything else. He now can walk out the back door of the kitchen into the carport, down its hall, and unlock his private office away from what is going on in the house.
It's a very different look for us.

















He installed wood tile, but first we sorted the boxes so it would look random.
When my spouse finished cleaning the lines between the "wood" tile with a special tool that reminds me of a pizza cutter, I said, "No grout! It's perfect." The 1/8 of inch space reminded me of the real wood floors in my last home. It looks old and real and that's what I wanted. I think grout would of made it look even and new. This floor is tough for the location.

In the past, my spouse did a similar planked application to the walls on the sleeping porch. Experienced, he went really fast, even though this was a different product; it's a two sided product from HD.It's a wide plank on one side and narrow on the other, and it can be installed either way!

He put new insulation in the walls and then installed planks. Like I said, one can install it either direction: wide or beaded. We chose the narrower look in here, though there is one tiny mistake where one small board was flipped the other way, but the dark color hides it, or it just looks old. (In my parents old house the shop had narrow boards, so that's why I chose to install it on this side of the board.) Just in case, someone someday wants to use it as a tool room or shop, it looks masculine.

One looks into the potting shed and one looks into the carport, so it's a naturally dark room. It had only two windows, and he replaced both. (The window glass was only held by duct tape, so they had to be replaced.)  I saved the frame of the one that had a frame.  In regards to the color, my daughter and I thought, let's go with the darkness and choose something daring.

The  paint on the walls is SW 7020 Black Fox.

It's one of Sherwin-Williams trending colors of 2015,
which we didn't know that when we selected the color for the wood walls. It would of not made a difference. We had to love it. We put many blacks on sample wood scraps, before choosing this one.








Black Fox is a very warm dark gray with brown. It is so cozy, elegant, with a silent feel. Sherwin-Williams described it as a Chrysalis palette with influences from the earth and sky.
"Like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon, we’re poised for change."
Perfect for us! I love real greens on dark, because it reminds me of the forest.
We left the original beamed ceiling natural, and he gave the walls just one light coat of color so that the wood grain would show through like a stain; if you look closely you can see the grain.
 It has a warm natural enveloping feel. This room is the coziest room at the cottage.




My spouse is perfectly happy with the room's masculine feel. It feels like one is in the woods. The room is only 8 x 11, but it seems much larger, because it is mostly monochromatic.
I wanted the new conduit exposed to the whimsical French style chandelier above and to the room next door, which is the potting shed.  Because this home is an older (71 years ), simple home, and because I wanted to keep the original beamed ceiling.





I wanted to use furniture stored in our backyard shed. This home is much smaller than previous homes, so the furniture came from various rooms. To unify the pieces for a small space, we painted the bookcases Annie Sloan's Graphite. The off white color that they were didn't work in this room.  I left the natural wood stain on the tops and backs, because they look nice with the ceiling.  I sanded and highlighted the features with some silver wax.  The Ikea Table was in a studio, in the last home. We gave the table base the same color without sanding.
I LOVE the top of this desk. (It says love in multiple languages.)
The two chairs that disappear are from Ikea, the larger ones that I had did not work in this space.








Each side of the table has a wall sconce and a book case, so we can share the space while my daughter is studying piano. (She doesn't like us to make distractions.)
The two sconces in mint are from Crate and Barrel. 








The french gray-green velvet chair was in the living room of my last home. The baskets are favorites  from Pottery Barn and Target, that are also in our kitchen.
I had all the wall art except for the wreath.







I was inspired by the the age of the house, our trip to Italian Alp's, the darkness, and the fact that it is primarily for my spouse and the space is in the carport between a potting room and a carport.
This was a find in my favorite antique decor store ever, but alas it is no more.  This is probably an older shutter; it's from south of the border, and someone at some point in time painted an angel.
 It's really heavy, but really interesting and pretty. It's a beautiful remnant of history that makes you take a moment to stop and reflect. Where ever you go In the Italian Alps, there are little shrines along the roads, paths, hiking trails, and homes, and I loved that. I have a nice collection of retablos, so I am happy this one worked here.





For cool mornings in the winter we have a little space heater under one of the windows. Isn't so cute!?
But when it is warmer, there is an air conditioner.



















It was not easy to photograph this small space and the photos don't do it justice.
You will have to believe me, and I don't say it as a brag, but it's a gorgeous space. Frankly, it's more magnificent than we envisioned.


















It needed something extra festive for the holidays, so I put a tree in a large Christmas cookie can that I saved from the previous year.









Spouse's photo.
It is his cabin, and it reminds him of his grandfather and his  pipe. We were inspired by the lodges in the Alps and Norwegian cabins. Since I like Gustavian and French style too,  this room was not far from my comfort zone; it's more masculine tones are appropriate given its function.

You can view the beginning of the project to the end here. (Just scroll down and it will take you backwards through about five posts to a year or so ago.)  Amazingly, I discovered that we actually began this project on November 12 almost a year to the date that I started it the last time, but this time we finished. My spouse was disappointed that he didn't take a before photo, but I did for this blog!

This room is my spouse's Christmas present.
P.S. Most family and friends have seen it now, and I didn't know what their reaction would be, because my relatives tend to just speak.  Well, the consensus is that its our best work ever.  Unfortunately due to the small size and darkness, and my little point and shoot,
I can't photograph it that well.



Sharing with:

Thoughts From Alice: Creating a Rustic Christmas Party

and

Share it One More Time

and
Les Chateau Des Fleurs






64 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful! I love the dark tones - so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. xoxo My spouse really loves it.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful office... great job you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victorian. xoxo My spouse loves it.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it looks beautiful and elegant! I hope you enjoy your new office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. He is very happy with the results. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Wow, this looks fantastic elegant. I love the grey!!! Such a beautiful colour!
    Have a happy happy time
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. I love the color too. It embraces. I was surprised, because I love lighter grays, whites, and agaves, but they are not masculine. I was a tiny bit apprehensive when we started, but a quarter of the way done on one wall, I knew it was the correct choice.

      Delete
  5. This is perfect! I too love the monochromatic color scheme. It does make the room as big as it is, rather than shrinking it down with other color. Also love the desktop. Who wouldn't enjoy this space!
    Must-have bookshelves and an angel standing guard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy, for the sweet visit. xoxo He loves it.

      Delete
  6. Looks fabulous!! You have such great taste Sue, you really know how to pull it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna, for the compliment and encouragement. He loves it and the color.

      Delete
  7. I really like how it turned out. Well done. :-)

    Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great job you did - I love the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. xoox He is really happy with it.

      Delete
  9. that didn't take you long! i'm impressed. and everything looks so stylish, although no surprises there, you have such an elegant sense of home decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. xoxo My spouse is really happy with it. I wanted it more masculine, because that is what he wanted. He is really good with tools, and he has only improved after each project. That's why he was able to do it quickly.

      Delete
  10. WOW it turned out great. Love the dark tones and the glass desktop.
    Beautiful job and you two got it finished so quick!! I have that same heater in my studio which is a converted 3rd car garage but AC also for the summer.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celestina. My spouse is enjoying the space. It's the cutest little heater. Great minds think alike. xoxo

      Delete
  11. You've done a wonderful job and you've got it done so quickly. You and your husband have worked hard.The colour scheme is perfect for your husband's office. Everything is just right - the furniture, the accessories and I particularly like the baskets, the boxes and the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda, for the compliment and the sweet visit. xoxo He loves it. He needed a place of his own.

      Delete
  12. I love your new office Su. Very chic and modern. I am sure it will be one of your favorite spots in the house. I love the floor too. Very warm and rustic.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the wood tile floor. It loks like driftwood. I may have to look into this as an option for my art studio. It turned out wonderful...such a cozy space for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerrianne. I really love the floor, and I am really glad that I didn't grout it. It looks old, and it looks like wood, except that it is cool on the feet. I think this type of product would look pretty with your whites. xoxo This time the room was just too dark for whites, besides it is mainly my spouse's space.

      Delete
  14. I am truly in awe! Love the wood tile and your use of materials, colors and the perfect balance with the textures in the Velvet chair and the sheen in the drapes. It creates interest and keeps the office from being too masculine to ever so welcoming. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I love that you noticed the contrasts. You have such a good eye. xoxo

      Delete
  15. This turned out so beautiful! I love the gray color. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia. My spouse loves his office. xoxo

      Delete
  16. Wow, what a stunning home office! Truly, it's magazine-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rj. xxxo I've missed you, but so enjoyed your Thanksgiving post the other day and look forward to Advent!

      Delete
  17. The room is amazing. I'd never have guessed you'd go for dark, but it works really well! It makes the room masculine, chic and very cosy! I love those mint sconces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. I know! I suspected you would be very surprised. But the room kept telling me, "dark" ;) xoxo I love those sconces. They are just the right amount of color and retro, and the light can be directed where needed. They would be adorable in your home, but would have to be retrofitted. These plug in. I didn't know what pieces of furniture I would choose from what I already had or how would I arrange it, so I did not choose a hardwire.

      Delete
  18. Love what you did here Su. It is a perfect place for both of you to have for an office area. I love that color paint. So gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. xoxo The color was daring of me, but we love it. It is so cozy.

      Delete
  19. Oh my goodness it is absolutely wonderful!!!! Beautiful and the perfect size for a nook of office loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. We really are enjoying the darker color! xoxo

      Delete
  20. Oh my, it's gorgeous! What a perfect space for a home office. Certainly magazine worthy! Just lovely, and so glad you both have a great space to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy, for your sweet visit. We are really happy with it. xoxo

      Delete
  21. What a great space-love the wood tile floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darrielle. xoxo They are really nice, and perfect for where it is. It's hot here, so it doesn't matter that they are cool to the foot, but they do have a texture that can be felt underfoot.

      Delete
  22. Wow, this is an amazing office! It really does have a cabin in the woods feeling. The wood tile and wall color are very striking too. I really like what you have done here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. xoxo We are really happy with it.

      Delete
  23. What a totally gorgeous space! The entire room is stunning...you guys make a great team!! Enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh Susan it's gorgeous - LOVE the dark walls !
    Can you imagine the value you've added to your home? ( do you see where my mind goes constantly lol ) I just bought 2 of those little stove/heaters - a big project is being built around one of them !!!
    You guys are such an inspiration - truly -it's a beautiful office
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. :) Thanks for the encouragement on the dark walls! xoox I am curious and can't wait to see what you are do with the little heaters!?

      Delete
  25. Su, I love it all so very much! Love the darker tones in this space. The space heater is so neat! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. It was different for me, but I really like it, and my spouse loves it. xoxo

      Delete
  26. Wow, what a gorgeous space. I love the planked walls and the flooring is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandi! I'm so happy he has a quiet place to work now. xoxo

      Delete
  27. You did a great job! I love the floor and the paint on the planked wall. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very classy. I love the floor. Sorting through the tiles first was a smart idea to get that random look. It truly looks like an "old" floor. Your furniture choices are perfect, and I love the chandelier. Great job, Su.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. xoxo I'm really pleased and my spouse loves the color. ( I do too, but it is primarily his office.)

      Delete
  29. What a beautiful little space you have fashioned here! I would love spending time at work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacqueline. We are really enjoying it. xoox

      Delete
  30. What a beautiful office. I love the floor and the dark color on the walls - so cozy and warm. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy, and thank you for hosting. My spouse is out there now working. xoox

      Delete
  31. It looks amazing, so cosy and super stylish. Love that it reminds your spouse of his Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su