10 May 2014

Today, Junk Chic Cottage is Featuring 8)(8










Today I am at Junk Chic Cottage.
Thank you, Kris, for featuring me at Junk Chic Cottage at Saturday Spotlight.
I'm so happy, thankful, and not so good with words.

I would like to thank Kris at Junk Chic Cottage for featuring this blog at her Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger.  Every week, so graciously, Kris does this with Susan from Must Love Junk; each woman spotlights a different blogger.  
I also admire their gracious style and hostess skills.

(I hope this comes out in order without a lot of mistakes, because something strange is going on with my blogger today.  Somethings are getting saved and some are not, and I go back through to edit, and it is all messed up again.)




I've received a few sweet e-mails from readers asking me to show my sleeping porch and laundry room or my "big room" or "work room" in full, and since this is Kris's at Junk Chic Cottage's favorite room, and I have never shown it as a whole, I'll show my sleeping porch.

Our sleeping porch is the biggest space in this small home.  We use the porch for: entertainment, an office or work space, a guest room sometimes, laundry, and it's a place to curl up with a book in a rain storm.  It doesn't rain too often, but the sound on the ceiling is really neat.  Oh, it's also the poodle's favorite room.  It's a three season room; if it stays in the low 100s, I can open the doors and sort of equalize it with the outdoors, if I turn on the fan.
The temperature is perfect, except for summer.



Part of the charm of the room may be the contrasts: brick walls, planked walls, conduit, and a shiny concrete floor combined with our French furniture, some of it is second-hand or vintage market finds collected over years.  I made these angel wings.









My daughter found this quilt at a vintage store for 25 dollars; its only flaws are some little tears, but that just makes it authentic.  She recently found another in a similar shade of aqua, so we rotated the one on her bed to here for now.  It looks pretty with the table that was just painted.

















The slipcovered sofa is from Ballard's.  This sofa was built so well that it was in our first home as a married couple.  It's about twenty years old!  But the slipcovers are washable, and in our last home, it was in a room that wasn't used much, so it is still in great condition.















The chair Francis is sitting in is white leather softened it with throws.






We use this table as a desk , a eating table when we have a party, and a place to fold laundry.
I'm always changing what is on it, and many days it is just a creative mess and getting good use.






  Today, I took the stuff off that can be knocked off, because I'm expecting guests and less is more sometimes.









Every month, I change the arrangement on this wall and bureau.
This milk-paint painted bureau was a second hand find and a perfect fit for the space between the French doors.









Sometimes I hang one of my handmade wreaths here.







Here's  another months' version of the chalkboard.

 I make the garlands, and the one on top is made of buttons.
My favorite go to colors are blue, white, and gray, soft greens, but I love all colors.
Do you have favorites?










So far the kids use this daybed for sleepovers, but it is comfortable for napping too.
We bought an extra mattress, and we are going to build a trundle for under the bed.
My mother made the rabbit.  I bought the handmade star.















Sleeping Porch's Laundry Area/ Room

The top of this table is the coffee/tea area and the laundry supplies and towels are below and behind the curtain.  I guess the coffee cups were already in use when I took the photo.  Underneath the table is storage for laundry detergent and towels and this is sufficient to keep it organized.  We can fold laundry on the desk, or sometimes clean clothes get placed on the bed when they come out of the dryer, because the desk has a project!  This porch is wonderful, because previously the clean clothes would get dirty, because the windows were missing.

I mix vintage finds with Ikea,  high and low, real paintings with prints and handmade art like the mission on top of the cupboard, and I rotate things a lot.









Since we have a tiny kitchen, and we use a the toaster oven, we put  the microwave in this armoire.  Instead of cabinets, we decided to use furniture from our former home that I unified
by painting various variations of  chalk paint.  Amazingly,  these pieces fit perfectly against this wall and ending before the French doors.








This is how the sleeping porch looks from the outside.  We still have not put the gravel down.






This is how the sleeping porch looks from the inside.







This is how it use to look.
There was a door to the right and a bit more wall.


Happy Mother's Day!
Thank you all for visiting, and I appreciate all your kind feedback.


Paints
SW Fawn Brindle
SW Gateway Gray
Annie Sloan Paris Grey
Annie Sloan French Linen
Annie Sloan Duck Egg
SW Snowbound


Sharing with:











82 comments:

  1. Oh I love this room, so inviting and you have made it so pretty with your thrifty finds and decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading your feature, Su. Well done!!!

    Love your style. :) Happy Mother's Day!
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. I love your style too! Happy Mother's Day! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Your home is very lovely and you have decorated it beautifully. Thanks so much for sharing ...
    Have a Great Mothers Day.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, for your sweet visit and compliment. I followed you back. That was so nice of Kris to make the introductions. xoxo

      Delete
  4. So beautiful!! and congratulations on the feature!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went over...very nice feature and how exciting to hear about the trip to Europe and why!!! Congratulations to your daughter for her hard work and talent !! :) And to her parents for nurturing that and helping to make the trip possible! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb, for your kind compliment. xoxo

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful place you have here! Who needs to buy "Home & Garden" when you can just visit here. :) I look forward to visiting often, as I am your newest follower.
    Have a beautiful blessed week-end,
    Joy! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie, for your visit and sweet compliment. Happy Mother's Day. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful home...thanks for the inspiration! Have a great Mother's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful room. love the blackboard, I would like to have something like that at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rory. I think this one was a mirror, but I've made some small ones by buying frames with masonite backs. xoxo

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful room. I love seeing the room its entirety! It really is lovely from wall to wall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tour through this room, it is sooo lovely! All of the creamy dreamy colours, such a relaxing place. The transformation from before and after you got your hands on it is incredible, it became a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I am so happy that we have this room. It's such a great space for us. xoxo

      Delete
  11. A well deserved feature! I love how you loved the tin as a vase.

    Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Some tins are so pretty. This one had the Dutch waffle cookies. Happy Mother's Day. xoxo

      Delete
  12. Thanks for reading my feature today also! So you are in AZ also? What city. I can't believe the AZ bloggers. Love to meet up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ceekay. I am in Phoenix. xoxo

      Delete
    2. And Happy Mother's Day, Ceekay! xoxo

      Delete
    3. Well, let's get together. Do you work outside the home. I know you know Marty, so you wanna do a lunch....it is getting about that time!

      Delete
  13. Oh my what a delightful room. I really enjoyed your tour of your stunning sleeping porch. Believe it or not I had the same sofa from Ballard Designs. Mine had the linen and cotton cream and flax colored damask. It wasn't until last year when I wanted to redesign our sitting room I gave the Ballard sofa to my nephew. Large, comfy and would lure you into a peaceful nap ;-) Happy Mother's Day and so glad Kris featured you.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera. How neat! I am really happy with it. xoxo

      Delete
  14. No wonder the sleeping porch is an important area in your home. It's bright, cozy looking and decorated with TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Su, first, Congratulations on such an awesome feature! It is SO well deserved! Your home and style is so classy and just so darned beautiful! Second, do you know I think of you often? I can tell through your comments to me how beautiful your heart is. Your support means the world to me...truly, it does. Thank you! Have a beautiful Mother's Day! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. You are so sweet, Jen. I always love your posts and visits. Happy Mother's Day tomorrow with your lovely family. xoxo

      Delete
  16. I am afraid I would never get the laundry done...I would sink down on that comfy couch and never leave it ;) This space is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie, for your sweet visit and encouragement. xoxo

      Delete
  17. I so love this gorgeous room...you've done a great decorating job here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this space. YOu have put so much work into it and it has turned out beautifully. I lOVE the fact that you can actually sleep on a porch where you live. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Yes, it is fine nine months of the year with no AC or heat.

      Delete
  19. omg Su, How beautiful is this room!!! Happy Mother's Day, darling. I have a big room just like this that I wasn't sure what to do with. You just gave me so much ideas. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. Happy Mother's Day. xoxo

      Delete
  20. It's such a beautiful space with so many delightful details. Love the old quilt, and the floral fabric on the dining chair, oh heck I love everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norma. My daughter loves old quilts, so now we look for them. xoxo

      Delete
  21. Everything is lovely! I love the color of your giant armoire. So pretty! What a great find with that quilt! I bet it's nice and cozy in the colder months. The bed for sleepovers is so much fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey. I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint on it.

      Delete
  22. Your sleeping porch was such a huge project and you made it so lovely! It really deserved the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know I just love your home. It inspires me to get going on something and make it pretty! Love all the light and loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just adore your style! This sleeping porch is a little bit of heaven. A dream place that you just would never want to wake up from. I love that you have used items that you have redone and added your own special touch. Congrats for being featured over at Kris's!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous home. It is so chic and stylish. You are a great designer. I love how bright and comfy it all is. Congratulations on your feature.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet, for visiting and your sweet compliment. xoxo

      Delete
  26. Your home is stunning. I love it all. It is so spacious. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an awesome feature. I include my congratulations with all the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana. I like your new venture, and I hearted your shop.

      Delete
  28. Hi Su, Happy belated Mother's Day! Congrats too on being featured on both blogs what an honor and you sure deserve it! I love your decorating style and you have a gorgeous house. It doesn't have to be large to be beautiful. Have a wonderful afternoon.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I love "it doesn't have to be large to be beautiful". What a great line! xoxo

      Delete
  29. A very pretty and whimsical space, perfect for dreaming, both during the day or at night, for recharging and relaxing, and simply enjoying!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Poppy. I love the way you wrote that. xoxo Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  30. Oh my congrats on being featured at Chris's blog. I can relate to how excited you must be. I love your great room including your sleeping porch. I love the old quilt, I do get excited when I find one! Your space is so pretty and reflects your beautiful styling skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. My daughter first got me interested in quilts! And now I'm excited as she is when I find one that is priced well. xoxo

      Delete
  31. Hi Su,
    Thank you so much for visiting me, its a pleasure meeting you! What an amazing blog you have! your home is so beautiful. I have enjoyed reading your post and now follow butterfly bungalow.
    I look forward to visiting again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I am following you too. xoox

      Delete
  32. Thanbk you very much for your visit and your lovely post
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, I love it. You are so amazing. Great job. And thank you for sharing your home with us.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely,inviting porch, Su! Congratulations on being featured. Who wouldn't want to cozy up on your sofa, or take a restful nap on the bed? You have such a sweet, romantic, welcoming style, that just draws us all in. Thank you for your inspiration. xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on the feature! Your home is filled with wonderful treasures. I love each room and how you decorated them. Thanks so much for the inspiration!! Just lovely!!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful post!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a beautiful pictures
    Love the Shabby Chic style.
    Great blog
    Xoxo
    http://stunningchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your room is so inspirational. Thank you for sharing all the features. It's a lovely style - romantic,cosy and also a useful space. I can imagine your family and guests feel very relaxed there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Yes, it is a great spot. My ten year old niece loves sleeping on the porch.

      Delete
  39. What an amazingly beautiful room! Love those angel wings too!!
    Blessings~
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi. I enjoyed making them. xoxo Su

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su