18 April 2014

Hacked Kitchen Cabinets








Affordable "Hacked" Kitchen Cabinets Made From Ikea hacked Islands

I wanted to enter a Makeover Madness party, so I am recalling how we affordably made some of the cabinets for our small, cottage kitchen.
(I apologize if you have seen how we did this, but maybe new readers have not.)

Our  motivation came from a small budget for a room that needed an entire kitchen.   My inspirations were small, old, freestanding European kitchens and my furniture.   I once had a white kitchen, and for my tastes, it was too white for an open space juxtaposed to my country French furniture in creamy whites.  I also wanted a collected over time look that fit the age and style of the cottage, but still looked fresh and new.  It's a simply styled, older home, and a glossy kitchen would not work.

Except for hooking up the gas which we left to professionals, I created the design and my spouse and I did all the work on this side of the kitchen.

This sweet, charming kitchen is petite, but it is a fun and a functional space of 84 square feet of
creativity, yet appropriate to this simple, old cottage; the space makes me smile everyday.
Who wouldn't?  Look at that cute refrigerator.
Surprisingly, or not surprisingly, due to the affordability, my IKEA island cabinets are my most popular Pinterest pins.  The first four photos are the finished product, and the remainder is how it was accomplished.



The side cabinets are two modified Ikea islands.





The center island is an Ikea island with added baskets from Target and a cutting board that was custom made to match the stone on the sink side. One basket holds dishes and the utensils, and the other holds cookie cutters and potholders.  I love reaching into a
basket or an open shelf to pull out plates. The baskets keep the kitchen ordered and uncluttered.
(If you are wondering about the floors, they are concrete with a colored epoxy.)












I am going to show you how we made the kitchen cabinets beside the stove; we bought two Ikea islands called BEKVÄM and measured everything ahead of time: the refrigerator, stove, two islands and the space needed beside the stove and refrigerator, and clearances.

When we brought the islands home, my spouse measured and cut the wooden, island tops to the size we needed.  Next, we went to a stone remnant yard to find a remnant of marble, because we needed so little. We gave the yard the measurements, and the yard fabricated two custom, countertops for the islands, and we picked them up two weeks later.  We left the wooden countertop for support, height, and style, and we added RH handles for towels. At Pottery Barn, we found baskets for drawers.  These two islands cost about 500 dollars to make with the stone and fabrication, but under 700 with the center Ikea island, baskets, custom cutting board, and the shelves we built.  
It saved about 7000 dollars on cabinets and another 1200 on stone and allowed me to splurge on a professional stove and the SMEG.

Setting the Stage
Here is the kitchen BEFORE.
It was all rotted and we removed most of the non supporting wall on the left.  We removed most of it, but not all, because the newer pipes were in there and we did not want to move them, which would add to the cost.








So we removed everything and opened up a wall. 
We needed appliances, but we had a really small budget, so we had to get creative and save money.

Here's How We Did It
Below I'm showing the BEFORE  "islands" and how we did it.






Here is a BEKVÄM kitchen island BEFORE our modifications.





Here is a island with the wooden top cut down with a marble top that we had fabricated to fit.  We left the wheels on the island, which happens to be a  functional feature; we can pull these islands out and clean behind them.





Installation of the "cabinets".





We built the shelves.










Here is the completed refrigerator side of the kitchen with the handles installed, the baskets inserted into the "cabinets", and everything painted.





Thank you for visiting and indulging us in our fun, finished, affordable, and approachable kitchen.










56 comments:

  1. I love the look you have created for your kitchen. It fits your home and your style beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear. I wanted to participate in that makeover link, so I had to make a new post. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

      Delete
  2. I love your kitchen and never get tired of seeing it. Gorgeous and such fabulous and stylish use of a small space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty, for the kind compliment. I wanted to participate in that link, so I needed to make a new post that was a before and after format. Have a wonderful, holiday weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing again because I didn't see it before. Love it.....especially because it has a personal signature on it , I really like your style! Anita xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. It was a lot of fun. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. You know how much I love your kitchen! but I did have a bit of a laugh at how big the font is for the word Bekvam - what's that about?? :)

    You guys did a fabulous job on your kitchen, it's such an inspiration.

    Happy Easter!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something funky with this blog. I wanted the correct spelling, so I copied it, but I can't change the size of the font. All kinds of weird things have been going on with blogger. For example, the last site I visited shows up on my design page.

      Delete
    2. Actually looking at the post now, there are a lot of things wrong. It saved some of my edits and not all. I've already started to work on it again.

      I hope you have a wonderful Easter, Anne.

      Delete
  5. Luv it!!. The idea of leaving on the wheels... genius.
    Happy Easter.
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gee. Happy Easter to you to. xoxo

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed visiting your kitchen redo again. You've made the most of your small space and created a charming kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. question for you. how oh HOW did you hang that silver-plated tray on the wall???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle. I hung it with industrial strength velcro. ♡ Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  8. Wow you and your spouse did a really great job on the kitchen! I love the cabinets and the island table you made! It looks so quaint and cozy and modern too. Enjoy your new kitchen. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. People do a double take. They wonder if I left some of the old and if the refrigerator is old. (The refrigerator is new.) That's okay. I wanted that. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  9. How brilliant is this? I love it when people think outside the box and create their own dreams. You, my dear, did an amazing job...I am sure your husband helped a bit too.. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. I love your work for that very same reason and your whimsy. Have a wonderful weekend. ♡

      Delete
  10. Oh my, what a drastic change from the before and after. . .the after is incredibly beautiful! I love your touches of aqua here and there, simply lovely :) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie. Aqua is one of my favorite colors. Happy Easter. ♡

      Delete
  11. Hi Dear,
    I'm allways fascinated how very talented you and your family members are! The kitchen is an eyecandy!!!
    Have a wonderful Easter Weekend
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. Have a wonderful Easter weekend.♡ Su

      Delete
  12. The picture in the blog is interesting to see. The description is also good and nice. Nilkamal Weekender Garden Chair can also be a part of the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your kitchen and the little open shelves on each side of your cooking range are definitely an inspiration for my future kitchen. Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. Those shelves were really easy to make. We bought the corbels and we dressed up the boards we cut with molding, but the boards could of been made without molding for a different look, or even floated (without corbels). We had to make them, because pre-made shelving didn't fit in that space. Have a wonderful Easter. ♡

      Delete
  14. What a fantastic makeover you gave your kitchen! That green counter top... what color WAS that? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Misantropia. That green was awful! The house is 70 years old, but that was done in 1970, because we found a piece of newspaper in the one of the walls we repaired. I think they use to call the color avocado green, but that is an insult to an avocado! :)

      Delete
  15. This is an incredible transformation. I love this, it is truly impressive. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love love love everything about your kitchen!! Amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martina. You are so kind. ♡ Happy Easter to you and your family.

      Delete
  17. Fabulous job... I know how much work went into this!!!
    Good luck with the Makeover Madness party.
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. It is so much work when one does tackles it on their own. Isn't it!? I look forward to seeing the changes you make in your kitchen, though it is already darling. Have a wonderful weekend. ♡ Su

      Delete
  18. WHAT A beautiful blog you have here. Thank you for finding me and leaving a comment so that I could find you back. You did a wonderful job on that kitchen. WOW! I am your newest follower and you will be right on my sidebar! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. How sweet. I have you on my sidebar as well. Happy Easter. xoxo

      Delete
  19. amazing after! you really started from scratch and did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great! Love what you did with the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your kitchen every time I see it and what you did is so clever ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb, for the visit and sweet compliment!

      Delete
  22. You know I absolutely love your kitchen, Su. You have done a creative, affordable, fantastic job of making it a workable and beautiful space! Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Happy Easter to you and your family too!

      Delete
  23. That is soo very smart. I told you before; Absolute LOVE your kitchen.

    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really love the character of this, I design Kitchens in Glasgow, Scotland and would love to do something like this! Great Work x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your kitchen has always been one of my favorites. I just love everything you've done. Blessings ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely the exact kitchen I LOVE! You are so creative and resourceful!!! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your kitchen is so inspirational! So many kitchens these days have the generic cabinetry and stainless steel appliances. This is different, and sweet, and beautiful! It speaks of the people who live in the home and their lovely vintage taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I really appreciate your kind, heartfelt compliment. xoxo Su

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su