06 April 2014

Canyon Road, Santa Fe










Don't you love the simplicity of these shutters?

Santa Fe is one of my favorite places to visit in the west,
and I make sure I visit at least once a year.  
It is about an hour flight to ABQ plus an hour drive to Santa Fe, or it's a seven hour drive from Phoenix.
The city's elevation is 7000 feet. This time in April, it was cold, and it snowed, but it did not stick.  I've been here in March, and it's been warmer.

Today, we are going to walk down Canyon Road, so you will need a comfortable pair of shoes.
There is so much too see on this road.
Colors; art that's new, old, and modern; adobe; old, organically shaped buildings; trees; shades of blue and earth; even mountain views on a clear day...





Johnson's Garden is open to the public.  It's a good place to rest.
Love its verdigris and chipped Victorian garden furniture.





This is my favorite blue and look at the shutter and its metal detail!

But the wall is my favorite. If one looks closely at the wall of this home, this adobe has so many colors in it.  It is usually not this color, so I don't know if someone painted it, but it sure is pretty.
Look how it chips away. If it's real adobe they need to put another coat about every five years.






This is near the start of Canyon Road, but we walked down, so that's why I'm showing it now.  Canyon road is a mile and a quarter, and there are probably one hundred galleries.  There are a few gift shops and restaurants sprinkled along the road too. It is easiest to get a ride to the top of the road and get dropped off by the tea room and Ed Larson's gallery and then walk down the road's incline, because the sidewalks are narrow and uneven.  At the top is Ed Larson's gallery.  He is prolific, and if one wants to find a colorful and whimsical painting or sculpture for your home one is likely to find a piece within reach.  
Right next door is a tea room,
 and it is a great spot to rest or get something to drink.
Prices on Canyon Road are from one dollar to probably one million dollars!







Here's a wagon that is for sale and so are the rugs that are draped over the wall.
















Sculptures and outdoor art are common sights.





Wind Sculptures






video

Wind Sculpture Video







Gates, walls, courtyards, alleys, adobe, sculptures, expensive salvage, uneven sidewalks, art, personalities... Canyon Road has it all.




And this is where we started: Wonderful Ed Larson

I hope you enjoyed your tour.  Here is what we brought home.



and













52 comments:

  1. Very nice photos! I have always wanted to visit Santa Fe and maybe one day I will. I can't believe how much there is to see on just one street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. It can be overwhelming, but at the same time inspiring. We only did this today. The walk and all the looking is enough with a stop for tea and then later lunch.

      Delete
  2. Really wonderful, full of colour and charming details,
    Thanks for sharing

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I visited when I was a teen & would love to go again.
    Have a happy one!
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. xoxo It's a really fun place to visit. Something is always happening on the plaza. The art and scenery... The air is pretty good too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! I loved the tour and would like to take it in person! Such beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so beautiful...but those iron chairs...I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. xoxo I know! They are gorgeous!

      Delete
  6. Love the pops of colour here, what a unique place. It is so strange and neat how little individual places have their own unique personality that distinguishes them from any other place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. It's a really magical place, and I think you would enjoy it. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Love those turquoise wrought iron garden pieces! I'd love those on my patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxo Those chairs are so pretty. My daughter spotted them and took the photo.

      Delete
  8. I've been to Santa Fe once and just fell in love! Gorgeous! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. We got home yesterday afternoon, and I already want to go back! xoxo

      Delete
  9. I so enjoy when you take us out. I love the architecture we could see. Did you bring anything back?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty place! I love the blue color on the shutters as well...one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia. xoxo We got back yesterday afternoon, and I already want to go back.

      Delete
  11. You had me with the blue shutters :) Love that photo of the trees with the vines ...
    My feet hurt now, though...have to sit a bit / need better shoes the next time ! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. I enjoyed your company! xoxo I love how they use blue there!

      Delete
  12. Love your photos. I have always wanted to visit Santa Fe and now that I see your photos, it is definitely on the top of my list. Thanks for sharing your pretty photos.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. It's a great place to visit. I already can't wait until I go again.

      Delete
  13. These are wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them, and giving me a tour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, never heard of this place but looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a neat small city that is really old. It was founded in the early 1600s by the Spanish.

      Delete
  15. beautiful photos ~ would love to visit santa fe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for that lovely walk!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did enjoy the tour, enchanting! I've never been to Santa Fe but I'm adding it to my destination list now! ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. It's a great place to visit.

      Delete
  18. Oh wow, what a journey!!! I've never been there - know only some parts of the states. Thank you for the pictures. Now I know ... I have a clue!!!!
    All the best do you
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. It's very pretty. It is an old city founded in 1607.

      Delete
  19. It is so beautiful there. I would love to go visit. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Had not been to NM for many years and year before last, we drove out there to the Balloon Festival at Alburquere(sp?) and went over to Santa Fe one day. It is a lovely place to visit. So different. Love all of your photos.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Oh I've been to Albuquerque for the balloon festival, but only once. I came down from staying up in Santa Fe. It is a lovely place to visit.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for sharing, Su. I have never been, so I really enjoyed the tour! I will have to put this on my list of gotta go to places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. It's a really interesting and pretty place to visit.

      Delete
  22. Santa Fe is one of my favorite places too ... and Albuquerque. Had an uncle who was a NM fish and game warden near Chamas. NM is on my list of places i would love to move too !
    Thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francie, for your visit. I think it would be a wonderful place to live too.

      Delete
  23. Santa Fe is one of our favorite places and of course, Canyon Road is one of our favorite parts of Santa Fe. Christmas of 2010, we spent our holidays in Santa Fe and Christmas Eve on Canyon Road is just magical.

    One of my favorite galleries is Nedra Matteuci. It is not on Canyon Road, but the sculptures in the garden are wonderful.

    Do you know the name of the shop where you found the Alice in Wonderland chocolates? I am doing an Alice in Wonderland themed baby shower and would love to have them on the table. We have a friend in Santa Fe right now. One of the galleries Steve shows at in Ojai is in the process of setting up a gallery on Canyon Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it too and visit a couple of times a year. The little sign said 120 Dooblet's. I thought it was on Water. I looked it up online and couldn't find it, but then found good yelp reviews under the name Doodlet's with the phone number, and says 120 Don Gaspar Ave which is the cross street, so maybe the door is on Don Gaspar. Here's the link http://www.yelp.com/biz/doodlets-shop-santa-fe

      Delete
  24. With camera in hand, Santa Fe is a great place to wander. Taking photos helps keep me from spending money in all the tempting shops along Canyon Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lulu, that's true! I have a small budget (very small) when I visit. It's inspiring. xoxo

      Delete
  25. I love seeing your photos. I lived in NM for a few years and have a special love for this city. I sure hope we can go back soon! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane, for visiting. I love New Mexico too. Many years ago, I use to live on the border of New Mexico and Arizona and everything is just down the road when one lives in the middle of nowhere, so New Mexico is a part of me too. xoxo

      Delete
  26. I love Santa Fe and this post makes me want to go there soon! Thanks for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su