12 March 2014

The Piece You Have to Have












and a Whimsical Way to Display Art
Here leaning on the sleeping porch's brick wall is the painting that use to hang where the starred mirror is now.
It says, Benedig, and I don't know if it was painted by a person or if a company manufactured it to look like a painting. It was before I started buying paintings and asking questions.
I think it will look magical here beside the white chair that has been blanketed in throws and pillows for a softer, whimsical look.


Out here on the sleeping porch, nothing can be hung on the brick unless I use the jackhammer drill, but I don't like to make holes in the brick and don ear protection.
It would also get ugly fast if I changed my mind.







 I also don't like to see the hangers on art, but I would have to see it, because I hung the art from the wood beam to display it at the proper height, so as not to drill holes!
( I have had no luck with sticky products, it is too hot for those here.)






So I made a decorative hanger with swirls from 20 gauge wire, tested it, but
it immediately straighten with the weight of the canvas. :)
I should of selected stronger wire for the weight of this piece, 
but all was not lost.

I modified the idea; I twisted wire around the straightened wire.  I used wire cutters to cut it.  I also intended to add beads, but I could not find any.  We always have a creative mess project in progress, and the other day, I probably vacuumed from the floor the last of the beads with some rainbow loom bands.






It's a coincidence that I now have a mirror with shutters and that I switched it with the rose painting. 
Many years ago, the rose painting was displayed in my daughter's nursery.


Years ago, when I was decorating my daughter's nursery, I ordered a shuttered mirror with roses. It had a similar shape to the star mirror, but the shutters were solid and paneled with roses.  The mirror would never arrive, because three times it broke in the process of shipment.  So, I told the business to forget it, because it was bad luck and bad business. But I was so disappointed, and I wondered what was I going to do, because I had planned the entire room around the mirror! I already had the rose bedding and the green gingham bedding from PB kids.

The following weekend, I went shopping in downtown Walnut Creek, and there hanging in a boutique was a rose painting in the perfect colors of the bedding!

Well, my daughter grew and one day, she didn't want the rose painting in her room. Yet, I've been able to move the painting to different rooms and different homes, because the nursery decor was so sophisticated.

Several times, I've fallen in love with a piece and then planned a room; this sleeping porch's chalkboard is another example.  Before the sleeping porch was finished, we had a Mad Hatter Tea Party.  





Come to think of it, the white leather chair in these photos use to be in my master, and then my daughter's room, and now here.  The leather is still fine, but its Queen Anne style was just a little uptight for this room, nothing that some light throws and pillows from the house can't solve. Now it is a welcoming spot to read.

I'm going to try to find some photos of the nursery.

Have you decorated like that sometimes?

Featured at:

Green Willow Pond's What We Accomplished Wednesdays

and

Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday










70 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful painting!! It looks great there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the painting. It would look very much at home here! ;P The wire looks nice. Most homes in New Orleans use picture rails for hanging art, so I'm used to that look.

    I did decorate a bathroom around a piece of art once. No, I take that back: twice. Usually art buying is an emotional one for me, so we buy it and then find a place for it in the house.

    The art really makes that corner of the sleeping porch shine. I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty, and it looks fantastic with that chair. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty and I love the way you've styled the corner. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels so good when a piece can follow you around and work in different settings. Lovely painting and brilliant way of hanging it !

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the rose painting. It looks perfect behind that beautiful chair. Love that sleeping porch. So gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just beautiful. I want to sit in that room! And yes, I pretty much planned our kitchen around a 10-foot mural map of the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. xoxo Is there a photo of it on your blog? That is cool. My spouse loves maps.

      Delete
  8. Love that painting and the wire. I use those 3M tabs for hanging pictures on walls where I cannot nail easily and they work really well. They are a bit pricey though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. They fall off the wall here. I think it is just to hot and dry. I've also tried the really strong velcro ones, but I don't remember with brand. xoxo

      Delete
  9. Love the painting, it's story, and the great wire hanger. Sometimes the tiniest details make such a huge difference.

    When our kids were growing up, we lived in a 3000 sq. ft. McMansion. We downsized to 375 sq. foot cottage, but I was able to save all of my favorite things. So now I can look around the cottage, remember all the stories, and enjoy it all the more. :)

    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin.

      That's so neat. We also went from a similar sized home, to a small home, but large in comparison to yours! I love your cottage. It is so warm, welcoming, and magical. You chose just the right memorable pieces to bring. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  10. It's a beautiful painting...and yes, sometimes I find and inspiration piece and go with it! I love it when something I buy has staying power. Seems like your pretty picture certainly does! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I have been fortunate, because most of the time I have been pretty consistent in my likes and styles, which has allowed me to move things around. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  11. Oh that painting is so beautiful! And I just love your idea of a decorative hanger! ME thinks I shall "steal" that idea...of course, giving you full credit! ;) I hope you can find a pic of her nursery. I just ADORE your style! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me too, find something you love and the room has to change!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! I love the rose print for setting a mood...Thanks for visiting. Nice to meet you!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks beautiful, but what I like most is that comfy, romantic chair!! Lovely. And thank you for visiting me. I am following you now too. Love your blog. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. Yours too. I am also following you. xoxo

      Delete
  14. That is a beautiful chair and I love the painting. Thank you for stopping by.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful. It looks very peaceful there.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like the rose picture and your idea for hanging it.
    Yes, I move things around too, isn't that what we are suppose to do?
    Smiling! I keeps our family guessing, what next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. My spouse use to joke that when he came home, if the lights were off, he would miss the chair. This home is small, so there is a way the floor plan works best, so now I move accessories instead.

      Delete
  17. It is lovely there and I hope that you can find your nursery pictures / would be fun to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you, Blackberry Lane for your visit. xoxo

      Delete
  19. I think you did a nice job figuring out how to hang your picture. I used those sticky things one time only, and my picture actually fell off the wall. (Maybe I did not do it right) I mostly like to prop pictures and I see you have a pretty one propped beside the chair. The painting does look amazing where you choose to hang it. So pretty ~

    Sweet Blessings
    Michele
    Pearl 13.1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem too! They fall off the wall. I think it is sort of dependent on the weather.

      Thank you for your visit, and your kind comments. I have lots of paintings behind the big one on the floor, mostly painted by my daughter or me. Someday I hope to fix the shed to a studio and storage. Our last home had a space to create and the work was displayed gallery style. xoxo

      Delete
  20. I like the picture and how you hung it. I have a battle going on about sticky hangers! I love the chair and seating area, so pretty and comfortable looking. thanks for stopping by and letting me know you liked my Ann Taylor Lampshade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. You have a battle with the sticky hangers! They don't work at all here. I've wasted my money several times now. xoxo

      Delete
  21. Oh yes, when I re-do a room, it is usually because of one little thing that I have found. The whole room will then revolve around that one found treasure! Your rose painting is beautiful and I bet it looked amazing in that nursery! Love it on your sleeping porch now! Thanks for sharing the story of your painting - I love to hear how decor evolves as well as the many ways favorite things grace our homes!

    Have a lovely week!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen, for you visit and sweet comment. You have a beautiful blog. xoxo

      Delete
  22. That little nook is just so sweet - the chair, the painting, the pillows, the angel reading - so, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Art and Sand. That book angel is one of my favorites.

      I have other kinds of angels, but I can't display them all at once.

      xoxo ♡

      Delete
  23. what a nice and relaxing area you have created. It's fun to move things around and reuse it in different ways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniela. It is and doesn't cost anything. ♡

      Delete
  24. The wire hanger was a good idea and looks great. I just love your white brick wall with the wood beams and the pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. It has that industrial, vintage look that you do so well. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  25. It is beautiful! I struggled with hanging my things back up after painting because I had filled so many holes in the walls, didn't want to undo all my hard work! Not nearly as difficult as brick, but still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. It is a lot of work to fill and re texture drywall and plaster holes! xoxo♡

      Delete
  26. Very pretty, finishes the corner perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that rose painting. It looks perfect above that chair. I remember that chair from your daughter's room and it also looks great with the ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. I just threw some throws on it to soften. xoxo

      Delete
  28. I love your sleeping porch and the rose painting looks right at home there. The twisty wire hanger adds a bit of whimsy. I have a framed yellow rose painting that I picked up at a thrift and it hung in my bedroom in our previous home. Thinking I need to find it and use it again.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jann, for your visit and compliment. xoxo

      Delete
  29. This corner is amazing ! The ruffles look great . I love it !
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Are you kidding me? That's the only way I've ever known to decorate lol - everything gets shifted in my life on a monthly ( sometimes weekly ) basis!
    Your corner looks amazing - and that simple touch of the curled wire is genius - so pretty - have to try that somewhere!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. Well what you have accomplished so far is great! xoxo♡

      Delete
  31. Hi Dear,
    you have a lot to do... and what you have done is just wonderful. Love the corner but the hanging is amazing!!!
    All the best for you and your doughter
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth, for the visit and compliment. I hope you are having a happy and lovely day. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  32. Such a pretty painting...it looks great near that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a sweet little corner in your beautiful room; I love the ruffled throw on the chair and the rose picture is perfect in there. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have beautiful taste! If you want another place to party, please come share at Bacon Time, if you have not already.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su