08 March 2014

Found a Looking Glass







This mirror was discovered for a small amount at a second hand store, and it is now hanging in the music room.
My daughter will love looking at it from her piano.





What caught my eye and made me swoon was the Moravian stars.
 I love stars, and these stars are a common motif in the southwest.
Plus, the shutters open and close, but not perfectly, so one door is just a tad open.  ♡






It's actually hard to tell from this before photo, but it was obvious to the eye once it was on the wall that the mirror's painted frame was too cool a white, and due to its size, it clashed with the warmer whites in the room and the adjacent armoire in the dining area . 






I love chalk paint, but I didn't want to spend that on a bargain find, so I tried milk paint.  This milk paint looked like the perfect shade of white for half the cost of chalk paint.  

Pros and Cons on Working With Milk Paint


Milk paint was a little more difficult to paint with: it drips, it is not as silky as chalk paint, and it doesn't clean up as well, but despite the downsides I liked the result, and I have a lot left for other projects, because it covered easily with two coats. This paint is made in the U.S.







I distressed the frame again with a sanding block, though it did not sand as easily as chalk paint.
In fact, it took a lot more effort.





 Here is a closer look at the texture and patina after painting;
it's pretty.  The mirror's metal stars pick up the metallic finish of the botanical's  frames.  If one looks closely, one can see the reflection of the crystal ceiling light, so now the room is brighter at night!





 I found another special place for the rose painting that was between these botanical prints, and a special way to hang it.  Here's a peek.


Featured at:

Ivy and Elephants What's it Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants

Shared at:
Ivy and Elephants' What is it Wednesday








48 comments:

  1. The mirror looks amazing. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so pretty...love that whole space!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique mirror, stunning. Lucky you for finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMIGOSH! What a find! It is perfectly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. ♡ It was such a bargain! You are so clever, Anne, I wouldn't be surprise if you could build your own unique version. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love old shutters and doors, and yours are beautiful. Though I liked them worn and torn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too, but the whites didn't work. I thought it was right until it was hung. Now I know that I prefer chalk paint. ♡ xoxo

      Delete
  6. Looks great. I was wondering about milk paint. I have never used chalk paint so I have no idea about it either. Perhaps milk paint is available here....chalk paint isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Donna. There is a Canadian company that sells Country Chic paint, and I think it is a version of chalk paint, but I have no idea if it sold in your area stores.

      Delete
  7. Love the beautiful white! I never paint furniture or large pieces like this so I know nothing about paint, but milk paint just sounds… rustic!? Dreamy and creamy ;) haha! The shitters are sooooo neat, very unique piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. xoxo I have painted large pieces with Annie Sloan chalk paint and they came out really nice. This was nice too, just different. In the store that carries this, most of their finds are painted with it and it looks nice. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Hi Dear,
    what a lovely peace! Sure your creative daughter loves the mirrow as I doe.
    Have a wonderful time
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. ♡ xoxo My daughter loves the mirror!

      Delete
  9. It is indeed a beauty! A lot to be said for "Made In The U.S.A!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend has a wooden one above her bed as wall art, not a headboard, but I love your painted one more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that sounds pretty! ♡

      Someone in the family wanted this near a bed, but this thing is so darn heavy. It's solid wood, and I am not sure I would trust it. It could be nearly 50 pounds, and my spouse used a hanger that holds up to 100 pounds. xoxo

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! Such a lovely mirror. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I love that mirror, and the frames with the roses are gorgeous too. Beautiful pictures.

    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bente. I really love those frames too. xoxo

      Delete
  13. The mirror looks great and I think it was a good idea to repaint it. Whites can have so many different shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. Whites are the hardest! xoxo

      Delete
  14. So pretty. Love that mirror. It looks great. Have a great Sunday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mirror is very cute! I like it. I like the shutters, and I love how mirrors bounce light around rooms. It makes them seem larger than they are! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is just beautiful! I have never used chalk paint except for a chalk board. I have never seen milk paint before either...hmmm...I have some investigating to do! ;) xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. Chalk paint is different than chalk board paint. There are several out there, but the one I have used is Annie Sloan's chalk paint. I've used it to paint bookcases, a grey armoire, a table, and small, gray chest. It leaves no lines, and covers with two coats.

      xoxo

      Delete
  17. Hi, I'm a new follower, and love the look of your blog. I too live in a small Cottage type home, 750 sq.ft. but I love every nook of it. There is something very lovely and romantic in all your decorations. I do love your rose painting, and since I watercolor...have several soft florals I enjoy. Will be back...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wanda. I am a follower of you; I think I might of started reading your blog while you were away; I'm sorry for your loss. I will be back to your blog as well. xoxo♡

      Su

      Delete
  18. It looks wonderful there, I love the bit of mirror peeking through the slats of the shutters, so very romantic! Thanks for the peek, can't wait to see what you did with the painting.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. That mirror looks so good there- I actually thought it was a window for a moment!! The new finish you gave it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. I think it does, now that you mention it. xoxo ♡

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su