07 March 2014

A Birthday of Sorts





We went to San Diego, and I've started some small projects since I returned, but they have taken more work than I anticipated, so maybe I will have something to show for them soon.


In the meantime I will share the post I prepared for later this month.

On March 12, our small kitchen will be one year old.



There is nothing pretentious about this space.  It's not shiny, it's not big, but it is comfortable, sweet, fun, cooked-in, functional space of 84 square feet of creativity and risk-taking ideas.
 In fact nothing in regards to function has been changed in the last year; I've only changed accessories, which means that this small space is a successful working kitchen.  I did the design and my spouse did all the work except for the cabinet installation on the window side and hooking up the gas.

A few features are different from last year.

The vintage tray back-splash is now a metal one.  Originally, a pretty pottery plate was the back-splash, but it was held with sticky stuff and the plate fell and broke. It didn't crack through, so I put it away, because I didn't want to risk anything else happening to it.  The vintage metal tray hangs with industrial strength velcro.

My IKEA island hack is my most popular Pinterest pin.
The professional stove is a Swedish Electrolux Icon.






Tea cups now hang from the shelves we built.





I added island baskets from Target, but they look like the ones from PB on the side islands.  One basket holds dishes and the utensils, and the other holds cookie cutters and potholders.  I love reaching into a basket or an open shelf to pull out plates.  Am I Heidi?

The baskets contain dishes and utensils, and they help keep the kitchen ordered and not too cluttered.  We keep it minimal as can be, because storage space is small.




The brushed metals work together. 












But I do get a little obsessive about bowls, so I rotate the dishes in the glass cabinet.  Many of them are vintage.





Ironstone, Old Bowls, and a Couple Each From Anthro and We...





It's a mostly neutral kitchen, and it gets color from the accessories and the refrigerator.  Those vintage blue dishes were a Christmas gift from my daughter and my spouse.  Most everything on these shelves is second-hand.




The bumped out and bumped up counter made a pantry cabinet, and it gives us just enough under counter storage for our kitchen.



The floors are durable, expoxy, painted concrete.











The French doors in the dining room off the kitchen were finished and painted grey to the sleeping porch to look like they had been there, and the porch and laundry area were finished too.
The armoire stores dishes, and the decor gets rotated.



The Kitchen is Holding Up Well
Ten Things I Love About Our Kitchen


1. The honed, marble counter tops on my kitchen cabinets beside the stove only had one major mishap.  A spot of tomato sauce was missed and it stained a spot, but I was able to get it out with a Q tip and bleach, but it took some time.  It looks better with age.

2. The brushed, hand hammered copper sink has aged a little, but beautifully and the scratches gradually disappear, because they oxidize.  It looks better with age.  The key to keeping it nice is to wipe it dry when its wet and don't leave dishes sitting in it.

3. I love the open shelving.  Do dishes get dusty? Yes and no. In the kitchen there are enough every day dishes for four persons.    The desert is dusty, so dishes might need a wipe regardless of where they are stored. But most dishes get used every few days, so no biggie.  In the kitchen, I have only what I need and a few pots on the island. 

4. How is the pale blue SMEG refrigerator working out?  Beautifully. This is the only one of five small size refrigerators that would fit in this kitchen.  In my opinion it was the most stylish choice. It is much bigger than it seems.  Eventually, we could manage with just a freezer in the potting shed instead of our old side by side that took up half the kitchen.  It is inexpensive to run.

5.  Despite its modern amenities, the kitchen looks appropriate and somewhat vintage given the age and style of this home. Sometimes first time visitors think we left some of the original kitchen, and that's a nice compliment to receive.

6.  My friends say my home looks like a beach cottage, but I really did choose desert colors, but toned down colors: the gray of agave, blues of turquoise, with brushed platinum, and copper. But since I've lived mostly in California and the Southwest, my preferences and influences show.

7.  The wood island is working out great.  I use Boos butcher block cream to protect it.  It is another choice that looks better with age.


8. I love the knobs and handles from restoration hardware and the glass ones look great still.

9.  I love the hooks we added for teacups, because it works perfectly, and the baskets keep us organized.
.

10.  I love my Swedish Electrolux Icon professional range and hood.

Thank you for visiting and indulging me in my kitchen birthday celebration!
We did almost all the work ourselves.

















Featured at:

Thoughts from Alice

Thoughts From Alice







54 comments:

  1. It looks great! The pretty mixer really stands out! Love the fridge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that most of your kitchen is Swedish design and that you are so happy with it, it makes me proud ;)

    Kidding aside, I love seeing inspiration from a pretty, country-style, small but organized kitchen. It's what I'm trying to do with mine, but it's a long time coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Misantropia.♡ The stove and oven work very well! It does very even baking and roasting! When I saw it, I loved its style. xoxo

      .

      Delete
  3. Your kitchen is charming and I love how you accessorized the island! I really enjoy seeing the different sets of dishes- that was a lovely Christmas gift from your kids and spouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. I love the blue dishes in my favorite color! They did a good job!

      Delete
  4. Still my fave kitchen! You deserve to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, for you kindness and sincerity. ♡ xoxo I'm looking forward to seeing your makeover too. Have a happy weekend!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that was quite a renovation. Your space is just gorgeous! I bet you love working in it and looking at it every single day~ I know I would! I love the way you remember your kitchen's birthday! You are a true house lover...like me!! Happy Birthday pretty kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. ♡ We went so long without one, because of the way we did it. I'm glad you agree that it deserved a birthday party! xoxo

      Delete
  6. It's so nice to have some open cabinets to see those beautiful colored bowls and I love lots of big baskets. The angels on your table are my favorite touch! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lavender. I collect angels and santos. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Wow. And WOW again. Such a beautiful and charming kitchen. I was thinking the other day that a large silver tray behind our stove would look cool.

    And we have the same armoire! I have wanted to paint ours for years... this year might be the year.

    Great minds think alike. :)

    Have a happy one!
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. ♡ Great minds think alike. :) xoxo Have a happy weekend! Su

      Delete
  8. Oh how lovely! I was ooohing and aaahing at your photos :) LOVE your Kitchen Aid - what a pretty color! And your tea ups hanging are quite charming. Happy weekend - hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie. It's just so much fun. xoxo And a happy weekend to you!♡

      Delete
  9. I love seeing photos of your kitchen. I love those little blue and white china cups(?). They look very similar to the pattern my MIL has which was brought over from Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Your MIL dishes sound so pretty. I love blue and white and I like it in your new header. ♡

      The ones in the glass cupboard are Blue Lily, made in England, hand engraving ironstone. I found four saucers and cups for four dollars in a store where everything goes to animal rescue. They were such a pretty and sweet find.

      Delete
  10. sujohnson,
    I absolutely adore the first photo in this post of your kitchen make~over, dear one!
    We we arrived on this side of the Prairie, I had hoped to find a bungalow.
    Most are Ranch~Style Homes, so I settled for practical.
    Your sweet styling of the small space is excellent!
    Thanks for sharing all your creative storage ideas with us!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. My cottage is a cross between a ranch and a bungalow. I picked the name, because cottage was so taken when I tried to come up with a blog name. :) I love a ranch. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  11. Such a lovely kitchen. It looks so bright and pretty, making cooking and baking much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby. It may be sort of silly of me, but I do think it is fun. :) xoxo Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  12. Su,
    Your kitchen is so sweet. I love your basket drawers and that sink is just beautiful. It may be a little space but it packs a powerful amount of function and pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kitchen is amazing. I just love it all.

    Wish you a great weekend

    Big hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bente. xoxo ♡ Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  14. Your kitchen is so darling, Everything is simply perfect. Also, just wanted to say thank you for praying for my Mom. We are very grateful for your special prayer.

    May God Bless You Always,
    Sincerely,
    Michele
    Pearl 13.1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michele, and you're welcome. I am so thankful for this space and home. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  15. Everything is just lovely.
    I have those same blue and white tea cups and saucers.

    Do you love your stove?
    It looks very efficient!

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Laura. I love the stove and oven and it works really well. I am impressed with the oven, which is traditional gas and a convection oven; it bakes and roasts really well. Su

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your open shelving and what an adorable stove. You've really made the most of your small kitchen, very pretty and practical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. In my opinion, a small kitchen is a lot more fun to design. In the past, I've done both kinds; I felt I could take some liberty, and since the house is old, it's probably conducive to taking a chance. xoxo

      Delete
  18. I've said it before and I'll say it again, your kitchen is perfect. It has just the perfect amount of modern, vintage and classic that I want in my own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer, you are so sweet. It's really fun to take creative liberty with a project. ♡ xoxo

      Delete
  19. I fell in love with your kitchen when I first saw it so you can tell it happy birthday from me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday to your kitchen. I love everything since the beginning, but I really think the baskets you've added are a nice touch. I'm also in love with your glass cabinet... I even pinned it for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali, you are so sweet. I just love that glass cabinet, and I only could fit one, but it was so worth it. ♡

      The baskets make it less cluttered. I could of fit two large ones, but I wanted access to some of the items.

      I'll tell you a secret. Sometimes, I debate staining the island top a food- safe, weathered gray, but I'm not ready to commit, because the butcher block is holding up fine. xoxo I hope your foot is resting!

      Delete
  21. Your kitchen is always fun to see. It makes me smile! I love the same colors you do, and I know it's because some of the happiest years of my life were spent in Scottsdale. Everyone says my house looks like a beach house, and most of them do not mean it in a complimentary way. But I just like light and airy!

    I think you made fantastic choices in your kitchen. I would love a Smeg so much! We need a smaller fridge than the one we have. Our kitchen is small!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RJ. Scottsdale is one of the nicest cities around. Well, your home is adorable and I love the colors! Gosh, a pink Smeg, or even another pastel, would look adorable in your home. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  22. Your kitchen is what brought me to your blog when I first started following you! Your style is SO classy and comforting. I like home to be comforting and inviting without feeling like I have to walk on eggshells afraid of ruining something! Love your home, your work, love you! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a gorgeous cottage kitchen. i adore every little detail....you've used the space so well and with so many beautiful features. so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. ♡ It was fun figuring it out. xoxo

      Delete
  24. Happy birthday to the prettiest little kitchen out there - I found you because of that kitchen!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. Gosh, I didn't realize that until I decided to give it a birthday party! xoxo ♡
      Yours is too! And I look forward to the new floor and window installation.

      Delete
  25. What a charming kitchen...love the island.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your kitchen so much! I am featuring it at Sundays at Home this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, that's so sweet of you. I thanked you on your blog, but I just want to thank you again. xoxo ♡

      Delete
  27. Hi there! Beautiful kitchen!! How do you like your concrete floors, will they crack over time? You can respond to nancyjz@hotmail.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, this is an old house and the floors were original to the style of this house to keep the house cooler in the summer, and to hide the desert, dirt, and dust. It also keeps the allergens down. There are some tiny cracks in one room. So where the floors were in really good condition, there is the original brown color.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su