24 February 2014

Weekend Accomplishments

We were busy this weekend.
The Valentine wreath is now hanging in the music room.  It has a wonderful scent, and it can be seen from the piano. 






The boxwood wreath now hangs in the Mad Hatter Library, and
it looks festive.





We spent much of the weekend in the garden. We worked all weekend.  I did the light work and my spouse did the heavy work.
We have our first strawberry, but an early strawberry.  It is too small to pick.
Hopefully, cooler temperatures will arrive this weekend, because some plants seem befuddled by warm temperatures for this time of year.




Here are some really early tomatoes forming on one plant.




Don't you just love her shape!  She is Gorda.
That's what these ladies are called.
We placed her between some citrus that we planted.
She has been with us for a long time, and
she is reminiscent of the women in Diego Rivera's paintings.







We also placed a patch of sod for my daughter.  When we removed the pavers, it was my daughter's idea to put grass where we removed pavers. Because we don't have a pool, she needs a spot for a sprinkler in the summer. The grass will help with drainage; the pavers were installed too tight and higher than the house, and with no drainage water ran toward the house.  It also will be cooler, because all the hard surfaces produce radiant heat.  Last summer, when I stepped out in the backyard with the poodle, I felt like passing out.  It felt like an oven.  You should see how many pavers and mismatched pavers and bricks that my spouse moved to the side yard to dispose of.





Here is a peek at what we are planning in the table area. 
Most of the yard will have natives and near natives like feather grass.
It sort of looks like the grasses in the front of the house, and it is native to our area.




Although we spent most of the weekend outside, my daughter and I took  a trip the vintage shops. For just a few dollars we found this frame with this pretty print called
The Madonna of the Streets by Roberto Ferruzzi.
I've loved this print since I was a girl.  It is a painting of a girl holding her sibling, but it was renamed, because the image was so popular in Italy.










 The potpourri is the remnants of the flowers in the wreath box.

Have a great day!




Sharing with:


Lavender Garden Style Party

41 comments:

  1. Wow! Your garden looks very inviting and you seem to have summer. We still have some snow.. :O( Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Satu. It has been in the 80s F, but in the summer it is in 100s! We can grow a garden from September to June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your thrift find, that is a great print! The frame and cross are beautiful as well.
    Such a gorgeous vignette.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. The cross came from Mexico and it has milagros on it. Prayer requests... XOXO

      Delete
  4. That grass patch is a great idea. But you've been working in the garden? and have a strawberry? and a tomato? I am SO jealous! Our garden is under 3 feet of snow. But I know you pay for it in the summertime, which isn't quite so much fun. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It helps prevent the runners getting in the desert plants.

      Yes, summers are awful!

      Delete
  5. I can't believe you already have a strawberry growing and the tomatoes! Nice ~ The frame is so precious indeed and the Madonna image too.

    Have a sweet day
    Michele
    Pearl 13.1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your little patch of grass! Hope you will have a good crop of berries too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. That's the way they do it around here. It saves water and keeps it out of the ground cover. ♡

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous inside and out! I could just grab that strawberry and eat it...it reminds me of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. Our springs are more like summer and our summers are baking.♡

      Delete
  8. that is one of my favourite pictures, I had it in my bedroom for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised, but not surprised, Sarah, that this is one of your favorites. ♡✘❍✗

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of grass instead of pavers, and it looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniela, and it's only about 3 dollars for a 10 square feet long roll. That patch is a 117 square feet, so about 36 dollars!♡

      Delete
  10. Everything looks so beautiful and I am horribly jealous that you have grass instead of snow...

    sigh.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yard looks amazing. Love the way your grass is looking. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I hope you are having a wonderful week too. ♡

      Delete
  12. Hi Dear,
    you have been realy bussy the last days. Amazing for me - you have strawberries and tomatoes, we have snowdrops. Gorda is a beauty, love the setting with her in your garden an how you arranged the green in the middle - looks very strong and full of energy.
    Have a good day
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. You are right about the energy. It changed everything! ♡

      Delete
  13. How very different our February days are. We are getting blizzards, and you have a green, lush garden to enjoy!
    Great idea to put in grass - your daughter will enjoy the sprinklers, and you will enjoy less heat in the summertime. :)
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely backyard , and already strawberries ! I've just got two tiny plants from the nursery and they are put under artifical light to keep on growing. It is a clever move to use native plants - keep looking into your neighbours garden to see what thrives there. Chances are that those species will thrive in your garden too. All the best !

    ReplyDelete
  15. what I love . . .

    the Valentine wreath . . . that you named the library . . . Gloria . . . your lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Art and Sand. It is starting to come together. All our work is starting to show! I've always paid someone to landscape, but this time we are on our own. Fortunately, I paid attention in the past.

      I'm funny that way. I have names for most rooms.

      XOXO

      Delete
  16. A music room? A library? A gorgeous backyard ?
    You have them all - and I'm left only dreaming once again!
    And now I want a Gorda !!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. My daughter plays classical piano really well and she sings. She is the only one who uses the living room, so it's the music room. Until we get my spouse's office fixed, my spouse and I use the library or the porch, but you know how that goes; that's a bigger repair than the backyard.

      I didn't take photos of the piles and piles of mismatched pavers and bricks. There are still more to move, but it is starting to be confined to three areas, which my spouse will whittle to one. Hopefully someone will want this stuff.

      La Gorda brings good luck. ♡xoxo

      Delete
  17. Wow I agree with Suzan. A music room and library so beautiful. The backyard looks so wonderful. Oh we are still looking at snow and more snow to come. The Gorda is awesome.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. Isn't she! I love her shape. My daughter plays classical piano. ♡

      Delete
  18. Your wreath is absolutely amazing! And your kitchen garden is such an exciting project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. This is the first time we are landscaping ourselves. In the past, I've always been involved in the research of the plants and telling the landscaper how I wanted the layout, but this is modest compared to what we have done before, but it's right for this cottage and how we want to use the space. ♡ xoxo

      Delete
  19. It's really nice to see your garden taking shape. I'm just about to embark on spring gardening duties myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, because it was really ugly to begin with, because this home was neglected for a long time.

      Delete
  20. Ah so many friends starting up gardens and having things bloom! I am living vicariously through these beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. ♡ Hopefully it will warm up soon for you!

      Delete
  21. Love the boxwood wreath! How lucky you have a strawberry growing already! Did you plant them from seed? Gorda is darling! I love your thrift find...dreamy and just says love all over it! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. I started the strawberries from small seedlings. ♡

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su