03 February 2014

Our Word of the Week





When we moved a year and a half ago, it was a stressful time, and the most important project was to paint my daughter's room.  I've moved too many times to count in my life, but my daughter could not remember the times she had moved, because all her moves were before the age of two.

My daughter wanted a blue room, which at the time was a big change from her former room painted Ralph Lauren's Mission Pink, a vibrant pink; think, "Dora the Explorer".  So we painted the room a pretty blue gray called silvermist.

Recently, there was lots of murmuring that silvermist was cloudy and gloomy, and that some colors make one feel brighter.  The room discussed faces north, so it gets the least amount of sun, a nice feature in the summer; this room is also connected to the reading room, and if the color is changed, the two room's color will have to relate, and the colors have to work with what we already own.

Like ourselves, a home seems to become with us.


Our Word for the Week

be-com-ing

noun
PHILOSOPHY
  1. 1.
    the process of coming to be something or of passing into a state.
    "a series of poem sketches in a state of becoming"
     Painting




     Planting



    (Sara's Photo)
    A candelabra.... Using something in a different way...





    A mirror holding nail polish and markers...




18 comments:

  1. Becoming is a great word.

    I have lots of thoughts about things that are "becoming" to me and to our house and also watching our house "become" what we want it.

    Good luck in your choice of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing a colour is an exciting time! Poke at the edges of your comfort zone and see what's out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved this XOXO! It was uncomfortable to let her change the paint, because it wasn't necessarily a color. But it looks nice!

      Delete
  3. I agree, becoming IS a great word! have fun with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is exciting to see a house becoming a home which is becoming a family nest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word. I find that as the kids get older and they claim their spaces as truly their own, I have to become less attached my own ideas for them. It is not easy when you have decorating OCD! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I think it is the age. We actually often share similar tastes, because she has always enjoyed visiting vintage shops since she was small.

      Delete
  6. I love how you have a word of the week! And becoming couldn't be more perfect! One of my favorite things to do is repurpose :) It looks like you have some wonderful projects in the works too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colour can be whatever you want it to be! I don't believe it's a gloomy colour, not when you have added so many beautiful touches for it to "become" beautiful and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think so either, but my daughter did. So her dad told her he would change it, but it has to last two years. So we left everything the same, except for the wall color she requested and turned over one of her reversible comforters. You are so sweet. XOXO

      Delete
  8. Becoming is a great word - it hold so many possibilities! Which your images convey perfectly :-) I'm guessing the top picture is your cat painting that's becoming something else in your daughter's hands? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kelley, I look forward to seeing the one you painted over!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong. I saw I typed your name wrong as I sent it.

      Delete
  9. "Becoming" is a fascinating word. And yes, I have that feeling too that our houses are "becoming" at the same time as we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Magali. Who we are and that feeling of home are entwined and evolving as we become.

      Delete
  10. So many things comes to mind...becoming more accepting of myself in a place where I am not as accepted, letting my house become exactly how I want it to be, mostly handmade. We moved into this house about a year and a half ago as well. xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your insight, Jen, and your desire to do what you can with your hands. XOXO

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su