20 February 2014

Gluten Free Lemon-lavenderbread Cupcakes





Since we have lemons in our garden and lavender, I decided to adapt the recipe and make it gluten-free.  These are very nice with tea or lemonade, but I forgot to take a photo.




Gluten-Free Lemon-lavender Bread Cupcakes


In order to make it gluten-free I had to substitute and prepare the flour mixture.

I used the Land O' Lakes Flour Mix
2 cups of brown rice flour
2/3 cup of potato starch
1/3 cup of tapioca flour


(I use brown rice flour, because it has a better texture.)

I only needed 1 and 1/2 cups of the flour mixture, so ...



Cream 1/2 cup of butter with 1 cup of sugar.
1 egg
 1 and 1/2 cup of gluten-free flour mixture
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
about 1 tbs of lemon rind
about 1 tbs of lemon juice
1/2 cup of whole milk
a small sprig of chopped, fresh lavender about 2 tsp

Mix it up.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin pan.
It made ten muffins.

Icing
1 cup of powdered sugar
juice of one lemon

My daughter said that this recipe is a keeper.
(I only used one egg, because the batter would have been too thin with the flour substitute.)





It will be some time before we get tomato, but we have basil, because we began with a plant, though we have some planted with seed too.
For dinner we made tomato, basil, mozzarella salad with balsamic dressing.




It still has to be hung, but
look what arrived in the mail today!
It's a little late, but the wreath was a gift for Valentine's day.


I'm also playing along with RJ's Literary Friday with a quote from this book
in the public domain.  She is also playing The Friday 56.
Sketches on the Old Road Through France to Florence

I actually have a copy that my daughter found at a vintage shop.  On page 56 is a letter from a Troubadour  " Ladies sweet and of great courtesy."






Nancherrow's Fridays Unfolded





28 comments:

  1. What a beautiful wreath! I so wish I had signed up for living wreaths that arrive quarterly. Your cupcakes look so good too. Lavender is a wonderful herb to bake with and basil is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcakes look delicious. What an amazing wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I can't believe how pretty it is either!

      Delete
  3. The wreath is very beautiful. I would love a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those look delicious! And so healthy too! I've been on a health kick and the extra fruits and veggies are making me feel great! What a beautiful wreath too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look sooo good and I am a HUGE fan of ANYthing LEMON...!!
    Thanks so much for coming by...
    O, and I have to say (really, this is kind of silly) but I always think of Elizabeth Taylor and her movie, BUTTERFIELD 8 when I see the name of your pretty blog....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your wreath... May I ask who you ordered it from?
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one my spouse ordered through Williams-Sonoma, but I've also received wreaths from Creekside Farms. I like them both.

      Delete
  7. Lemon and lavender are always a perfect combination! And that wreath... It was so worth waiting for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe. I was just thinking I'd made something lavender this week. Will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I went easy on the lavender, but it seemed just right for us.

      Delete
  9. The cupcakes sound yummy! That is my favorite summer salad. Your wreath is very pretty and will still be lovely for Spring.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I agree, that's the best and easiest salad there is.♡

      Delete
  10. Oh my, those cupcakes look delicious and so beautiful. That is one of my very favorite salads too and your wreath is gorgeous. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary and Thyme. ♡ I love that salad because it is so simple, yet delicious!

      Delete
  11. Deliciousness!
    Also love the couch and the fallen down citruses on your patio in the post before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my that cupcake looks delicious. I see someone else like "drizzle"' frosting.

    The wreath is lovely and would look good for Valentines Day and Beyond.....!

    Thanks for coming by..always enjoy your visits.

    Sending smiles and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Su,
    That cupcake looks too pretty to eat. Yummy! The wreath is just gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds yummy! I appreciate that this is gluten free. Do you use the lavender greenery of flowers? I will have to wait for spring to make these as we are still in the grip of winter here in Michigan.
    ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought food grade lavender for the garden. I use a bit of the green. One can also use dried lavender. If one uses dry lavender then I think it is doubled in recipes. I used only a little, but it was enough for my daughter's taste.

      Delete
  15. Oh, that cupcake has my mouth watering! And what a beautiful wreath!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard of lavender used in cooking, but have not personally tried yet. I really need to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use a tiny bit, because it can be strong.

      Delete
  17. Um...yes please on the cupcakes! Just fantastic! LOVE lemon and lavender together! I wish I could eat the salad....just without the cheese (it's deadly for me). Pretty wreath as well! xoxoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♡ Hi, Jen. I should of said that I use to make it with tofu, but my daughter for some reason doesn't like soy as much anymore. This is a very weak version of this cheese, and she can eat this one, but she is lactose intolerant, not allergic. But too much soy is not good for anyone either! XOXO

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su