16 February 2014

Gardening



This Saturday we were in the backyard trying to clean about a quarter of the yard.

St. Francis has an audience.





Here is a looking glass...because we always have to have a little "Alice" 
and a little "wonder".




The turquoise bench has been outdoors for years and its paint looks lovely faded and peeling.





The lemon tree is already blooming and its blossoms smell delicious! We need to pick the rest of the fruit, because some of it is starting to fall off.




The ground is dry and not much grows in it except cactus. So using the Sunset Magazine tutorial, my spouse finished building raised beds for
growing lettuce, tomato, strawberries, peppers, and other goodies.




 Some day in the future there will be pea gravel and some shade trees.
My spouse is also going to remove all those blocks; he has been slowly removing all of it.
Now there is only three five different kinds of blocks left, a random pile, and a huge organized pile!   I wish there was a service that could just come out and crush it and turn it to ground cover.
I prefer the yard to look like natural desert, no barriers.

A small lawn would be nice, but it needs to be dug up every few years, because eventually the Bermuda grass takes over and ruins the lawn. We are staying with desert for now, but it is really nice to have a bit of green in the desert.

Now you know why I go crazy when I see a green yard.


 Sharing with:


Craftsalamode's What to Do Weekends


26 comments:

  1. I love your garden with the St. Francis statue, the pottery and the yellow flowering bush, not to mention the lemon tree! Hope you have a peaceful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Since it is desert, I hope to return some of the backyard to a sort of tamed, native wildness.

      Your gardens and grounds are amazing in Yorkshire and Italy! I've visited Yorkshire, but not Italy.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is lovely and the view from it looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. It's desert, so it won't get much more green, but trees will help when we can get them.

      Delete
  3. Your landscape is beautiful. I love it that your area has such early spring. We garden in raised beds too, but it is much to early to start anything. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana. It's desert and it won't get much more green than this. This is our first growing season and it gets wrapped up around June. It's too hot to grow most plants in the summer, so people start again in September or October depending on the temperature.

      Delete
  4. I really like your yard very much. Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hate yards with sod. A waste and not nearly as pretty. I sure wish I could come see your garden and stroll through it.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda, so sweet of you. XOXO The long-term plan is to let it become a wild, mostly near native and native garden in a cottage-style that would suit the age of the home.

      Delete
  6. Your new garden beds are beautiful!! It will be so much fun to grow your own food. And I probably feel the same way about lemon trees as you do about green lawns. I really wish I had one and a heated green house to move it to in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. I have only grown food in N. California, so I hope we are successful. There are two growing seasons and the first begins in February, and the second chance arrives in September.

      Delete
  7. It all looks wonderful ! He's done a great job and I love the way it is all laid out so nicely there.

    I am closing my eyes for a moment and smelling fresh dirt and imagining it under my fingernails, planting seeds and feeling warm sun on my back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. He really did do a great job. Oh my, it was 86 degrees here today. We are having a heat wave.

      Delete
  8. Your yard is gorgeous. I love the beautiful garden beds. It will be so wonderful to have all the fresh grown fruits and veggies.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. Well, that section is looking better. It is sort of sad what has happened to yards around here, but people are beginning to fix them up, because they want to live in the city.

      Delete
  9. Pretty backyard, my friend. I love the bench, too. When we lived in AZ, I grew roses, and for the only time in my life they never had black spots. I think they loved the sandy soil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try growing two, but in the beds. I hope I can be as successful as you were. XOXO

      Delete
  10. Lawns are way overrated - wasted water. I love the natural look to your garden and the cacti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. The plan is to let get a natural wild desert look to it around the edges, but it will take some time.

      Delete
  11. Oh it is just lovely! The bench color is gorgeous! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good. Our yard looks so bad right now. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty. Lots of mine looks bad too! LOL It's just so big that I can show of glimpse of something nice.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful garden! I love when people decorate their yards just as they do the inside of their homes. So magical!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su