20 January 2014

Questioning Our Word and a Whimsy Project





Yesterday, I announced our theme for the week is "whimsy", and today our day began with a happy surprise! Our kitchen was featured at Brenda's Cozy Little House here.  Presently, she is discussing downsizing.  The feature really made our day, and I want to welcome our three new followers.  If you are following me, and I'm not aware, please let me know, because I follow back our visitors.

I loved reading the comments you left me on our first word of the week "whimsy".  Donna from Anangloinquebec  said, "I associate that word with happy, carefree, and full of life. I think we all need a touch of whimsy in our day."   We loved that !  

Kris from Junkchiccottage also had wisdom to share, " "Sara, I love the word whimsy. It is one of those words that just makes you smile to see it! :) Every part of our lives should have some whimsy..."   We both agree.

I'm not going to post every day, but maybe four times per week, and at the end of the week I might link to some of my followers whimsical posts or creations (with the creator's permission of course).
Our first day at "whimsy" began with what could be more aptly described as "chaotic" and making me think that I should of chose ONE word for a month!

My daughter's new i-phone broke, so my spouse took it to the phone store.  A short while later he returned and told us that the phone needs to be sent back and that he needs to erase the drive.

I love that my spouse is so technically savvy!!! I was feeling so grateful that he was home, not traveling.

An hour or so later he tells me," It's done. The phone is erased."

"Everything?", I asked. Suddenly, I see him looking at the phone he has in his hand with a horrified look.  I ask, "Is it a bad text?  What's wrong?"
 
He says to me, "I erased your phone!"

"You didn't erase my phone, her phone is blue and you are holding one with a pink cover."   After all, he knew that her new phone was blue: he bought it!

He pulls the cover off and says this one is white and walks over to the computer and says, "I erased your phone."

Horrified, I said, "Well restore it."  (I thought he meant by erasing that he was actually downloading the info to the computer before deleting.)

He says, " You don't understand I ERASED your phone. I ERASED the wrong phone."

Now I am really horrified, "You mean everything gone?  All my contacts?  Everyone???  My LIFE???  I don't have anything written down!"

"Yes!!!"

I asked him, "but how could you make that mistake???? Her phone is BLUE!  You bought it!"

Just then my daughter comes running in and shouting, "You didn't erase mom's phone, I'm using it for my metronome! "  Sure enough she had a white phone in her hand!

"Are you sure??? What phone was erased??? Yours???" 

My spouse looked at the phone closely, and suddenly, he realized that he erased another white phone that looks like mine; it's the one he used as an i-pod! WHEW!!!  Everyone had a good laugh several times today!!!

So the day or my phone was saved!  I had never synced my phone with my computer!!!  Now I know why I am suppose to sync!

So how did the rest of the day go at finding or creating whimsy?


Our Whimsy Project


My daughter loves words, and she picked two words for the year, and one of them is "magical".  We worked on a banner together. I spray painted the letters with silver paint and after they dried and the holes were drilled, she spread out the letters over the banner she had made and said so sweetly, "only magia will fit, and that's alright its Spanish."  (We live where people speak Spanish, but she is studying French.)  

I figured out we could just spread the material that she had tied on to make it wider to fit her word.  I wired the letters on with some thread like wire that I had in the house and a bead with a knot to secure the letter in place.







It cost 3.50 to make.  I had the twine, material leftover from the old comforter, wire, beads, and spray paint.  The "Chip Decor" letters were 50% off and 50 cents each.
This is sort of a knock off of from a popular teen catalogue, but it is her own meaningful word; I used material instead of rope; I used pressed letters that look like wood rather than paper. 










Magical and Whimsical









25 comments:

  1. I love that you and your daughter create crafts together. My daughter lives nearby, but she is so busy, we don't get much creative time together.

    Glad your phone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Art and Sand. I'm glad the phone is safe. It's a reminder for me to start to right stuff down again!

      Delete
  2. Another gorgeous creation. That is the comforter that just keeps giving!!!!
    I need to find one and get to ripping!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. I can't believe how much material that old comforter produced! I used the last of it, so now I have to find something else.

      Delete
  3. Inspired me :) I want the word magic all around my home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, the word magic suits you! XOXO Have a magical day.

      Delete
  4. Love the word whimsical. I haven't backed up my phone to my computer in probably a year - thanks for the reminder. It is so wonderful that you and your daughter enjoy doing DIY projects together. Great way to spend time together and to get in touch with her creativity.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty, congratulations on your feature!

      Delete
  5. I love the word whimsy! It makes me think of unscheduled days, summertime and fun~ sure could use a bit of that now, with several inches of snow in the forecast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you did for your daughter, a great word too...Magical, what a smart daughter you have, smart mom too!
    Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew! I was horrified FOR you as I was reading about your phone! Glad it wasn't erased :)
    Your daughter's banner truly is 'magical'-I love it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It took us several minutes to figure out that my phone was not the one erased! I never synced it since the first day! It was a reminder to me to right it down or keep it synced with my computer!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, I am so glad your phone did not get erased. Your MAGICAL banner is adorable an it looks so good over the bed. Just beautiful! Hugs, Beverly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverly. Your dress is so pretty! XOXO

      Delete
  9. Sue, You are so incredibly creative and innovative! Love this! I just might have to make one of your banners! Love, love, love! And very whimsical! So glad all was okay with your phone. Eeks! I felt for you there! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. I think it would be fun for the girls. PB teen sells one, but only with one word, and it is $$. Take a look. I think it could be cool in gold or rainbow or some favorite colors. There is so many ways to go with it. DD wanted silver and white.

      Delete
  10. I can imagine how your poor husband felt the moment when he thought he erased the wrong phone! Years ago I was working in a law office, and I thought I had wiped out their entire directory. I literally felt my blood turn cold! I called my computer whiz friend and told her what happened, and after following her directions, I found the directory - WHEW! Good to hear your phone is safe :-)

    Your daughter's MAGICAL banner is really pretty :-) Good choice for one of her words of the year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kelly! That must of been such a horrible feeling!!! So good to have a computer whiz for a friend!

      Thank you, on the banner.

      Delete
  11. That whole phone mishap sounds like something out of a TV sitcom! ha Very sweet banner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, Diane. The rest of day we kept laughing about it.

      Delete
  12. I think I love the word "magical" as much as the word "whimsy"! I like to see magic in every day stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, Diane. The rest of day we kept laughing about it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Magali. I loved her word! I agree with your sentiment.

      I think I responded to Diane by accident. I'm sorry if it went to you by accident.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su