18 January 2014

Home Accomplishments in 2013



I can't believe we are in the middle of January!

In 2013 we had four main projects here, and we were really pleased with our results.
I say "our results" because except for major electrical or plumbing, we did almost everything ourselves.



My spouse took down the rotted wall of the sleeping porch and put up a new one with two pairs of French doors and replaced the slider from the inside to the outside. What an improvement!  Now we have a three season porch (excluding summer)!

 It really makes this small home of almost 1100 square feet seem larger.




We made a laundry area on the sleeping porch, which meant our laundry was no longer outside!!!!  It was awful getting your laundry covered with dust from a dust storm or dirty as soon as one removed it from the washer or dryer.

The kitchen is tiny and so we placed the coffee pot and the microwave in here, because we either study or work in this room three seasons of the year.  (We don't use the microwave except for an occasional defrost or potato, so it is in the cabinet.)  The long table stores  towels and detergent, and the drawers are for storage.
 The cord in the photo is my lap top cord, because it is on the desk.











We set up the potting shed and built one planting bed, but we never began our garden or fixed the backyard. 




Our  kitchen...  To say we remodeled would be an understatement.  This space makes me happy every. time. I. see. it.  It's tiny with just the right amount of color for our tastes.
It makes me happy because we designed it ourselves, and we did almost everything ourselves, and so no worries about money.

We save a lot by doing most of the work ourselves, but also by leaving some things alone
for example, we left the concrete floors the same except for paint and epoxy. 


We still have big projects on our list, and the first couple of projects require professionals.

1.  The Roof (professional)

2.  Restore electricity to the areas and rooms outside the main house. (professional)

 3.  Once the electricity is fixed we can finish repairing a room for my husband's office.
It needs new insulation and then it will need to be planked like the porch.

4. We have a backyard with no landscaping with piles and piles of all kinds of hard-scape.  I am researching ways we can use this stuff, because it will be a fortune to haul it all away.
We want to landscape the backyard and we want to plant a garden.
The backyard is large, and I'm not sure we can complete everything on our own.  I've been pinning a lot on this subject.



5. We also have a shed outside that we want to set up as a art/craft studio and storage. We use to have a place to create and make a mess, but no dedicated area here, so we have stuff all over that we are always trying to find in a small home.


I don't know how many projects we will be able to cross off this year, but we have a a plan for the next year or few.


Sharing with:

A Stroll Thru Life's Inspire Me Tuesday











32 comments:

  1. Your hard work and efforts have created wonderful spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that 3-season porch. The french doors make the room. Looking forward to seeing more of your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got so much done this past year and I love the changes and improvements! Here's to another year of making our homes more beautiful! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great year! Everything looks fabulous. Enjoy all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've worked so hard and created such beauty. I am impressed by your creative artistic vision. Good luck as you carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, for such kind sentiments. XOXO

      Delete
  6. You did a lot in your home this year! It all looks great, especially your porch redo. It all seems to take longer when you are doing it yourself, but you can feel a great sense of accomplishment once it done. I'm sure you will get to your gardens this year and they will come out just as nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you've done so far and I'm looking forward to your landscaping/gardening projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Misantropia. I really hope I get it together in time!!! I am going to start with a bed or beds for the vegetables. The rest can all be done later. XOXO

      Delete
  8. I love your porch. I would be out there all day long. I like that your coffee is out there too. Your kitchen is adorable. Love the fridge. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby. One of us is usually out there all day. My spouse sometimes uses it to work. I sit there when my daughter practices piano. XOXO

      Delete
  9. You have the most amazing taste Susan - such a thrill to see what you've accomplished - and I'd give anything to have that porch - just gorgeous!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. We love that porch; now when we walk in the front door, there is a pretty sight line in the distance that centers with the chalkboard between the two doors.

      Your home is turning out to be not just gorgeous, but glamorous too! It's amazing how much you have accomplished in just a month or so. It's a lot of hard work and quite a bit of frustration sometimes, but when you complete a project there is so much satisfaction, because you know how much work it is when you are doing it yourself.

      In the beginning we really wanted it done, but sometimes we had to rest. Now that the most pressing things are out of the way we all are more relaxed and falling into a more normal pattern of repair and remodel.

      Remember to take time for yourselves. XOXO Susan

      Delete
  10. You have done so much already and I too love your little kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. We are much more relaxed about finishing up, because the most pressing things have been done. XOXO

      Delete
  11. LOVE your style and beautiful home...just saw you featured over at Cozy Little House...your newest follower! Stop on by when you get a chance:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martina! I am a new follower! I also LOVE French country!

      Delete
  12. Sue, I absolutely unequivocally love your home! You are so very creative. I love your money saving tips! The laundry area is AWESOME! Your kitchen is my dream! Very cozy! I look forward to seeing your accomplishments this year! My yard, not yet a garden, needs SO much work! I can't wait to see what you do with yours! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. I love hearing from you. You are so dear and kind.

      Oh my gosh! My backyard looks like a quarry! LOL The person or person before the previous loved every kind of hard scape there was! I'm going to start small with a bed or two with the idea that my priority is fresh produce! But I would love to make it beautiful, so I pin lots of images for ideas.

      Delete
  13. You have a great home! . Your kitchen is really cute- love that big PB basket up on the cool retro fridge :-). My husband and I did our backyard with a patio and lots of shrubs and flowers. I'm including a link to my garden blog so you could see what we did with various flagstone, and ledge stones. Don't know what you are looking for but take a look at what we did ( sitwithmeinmygarden.com ) Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is absolutely gorgeous! I love the fairy in your header. I love the meandering paths and all the trees and the water feature. I was thinking of doing some kind of fountain. I have one in the side yard, but I think it needs a bigger one because it is so hot in the summer, ,so I will have to adapt it to the desert. I am following it now.

      Delete
  14. Your home is my dream! That fridge is sooo gorgeous. I think an art shed would be stupendous, I hope you're able to accomplish it because it would be one of the loveliest gifts to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I love the way you said that. I hope we can do it. It would be wonderful!

      Delete
  15. Your home looks so inviting. I love what you have done. What is hard-scape? Is it like stones and concrete? I purchased a home where the garage had been removed so there was a lot of that against my back fence. I wanted to shape it into a barbecue pit by my husband vetoed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. There is brick, pavers, concrete, edging, mexican pavers, and so on. None of it matches. A lot of people don't try to grow desert plants and trees and they put this stuff down to prevent dust blowing. I really miss the yard I had out in the desert, but that's the only thing I miss.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su