07 January 2014

Catching Up With the New Year




There is no New Year's post here, and I don't know if I will, because I don't know if I would ever get to it.   There is some new activities we are doing, and some changes coming up this year, but I don't know about resolutions or words.  When I thought about the New Year meaning, I just got bogged down, or wanted to have fun experimenting with more garlands, so I decided to just post since it is already January seventh.





 I have been doing a little cleaning and editing.  I pulled out a ladder from my shed for something different on this dining area wall.  This area is open to the kitchen.




I kind of like it with one of my handmade wreaths.




We have this area between the living and dining area, that was perfect for this chair.  I've meant to show you, but I forgot.  Guests enjoy this comfy chair, because it faces the kitchen, and whoever sits here can see what is going on in the kitchen.  It looks a little wider than it is due to the photo angle, 
but it actually fits perfectly and doesn't obstruct flow.

The photo below shows the view from the dining area to the kitchen.  Since it is a small home, I really tried to connect the colors, paint, materials, and textures in these open spaces. For example, the copper sink is a similar color to the dining table.





Did I ever show you under the island?  Because the kitchen is so tiny, we use what we have in it.  We love the open shelves.  We don't really have a problem with dust, besides even if the dishes were in the cupboards there would be the same amount of dust here. It's the west. As a family, we enjoy seeing where everything is, because it keeps us organized; besides, it makes my daughter and me happy to see colored dishes.  

I read an article the other day that called a kitchen open to the only dining with no separation between what is everyday and what is fancy a "formal kitchen". 





Look what we found!  We found this 1929 book for five dollars; it is a little more expensive than we are accustomed to spending on a used book, but it had such beautiful illustrations of a trip from France to Florence that we purchased it to display somewhere.









18 comments:

  1. Your house is so lovely and so thoughtfully designed. You have a real flair. Best wishes heading in to 2014 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Best wishes to you and your family as well.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and I love your chandalier.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is so warm and an eclectic mix of pretty things! I think your chandy is so unique and quite lovely! A very charming space......comfy and it says....come on it and have a seat! Thanks for the info on Marthas line at HD. My kitchen is very small and I am doing open shelving.....one will see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures of your home. I think trying to have everything flow in a small house makes it look bigger and more serene!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chair does look super comfy! How nice for guest to have a place to relax and still feel part of what's happening in the kitchen :) Love that ladder too....hoping to find one for my halfbath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that you called it a formal kitchen. I love the armoire in your dining area. It is stunning! I like a peek under your island, too. I think you should be able so see and use your fun, colorful things!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your house is a treasure :) It's really fun what you did with the ladder and wreath and I shall take a seat in that comfy chair, yes, please...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, I just love your kitchen...so cozy! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su