28 December 2013

Our December 2013 Reading List

This is a record of some of what we read together in December. 
 I actually hand write a list at this table, but this month's list
was washed with a cup of tea. It's best to keep some things typewritten if I want to remember or find it.



Our December 2013 Reading List 

Books
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens  (We read this every year.)
The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens  (So sad.)
The Book of Job  (We are reading the wisdom books of the Bible so proverbs, and psalms are next.  Actually we hope to read through the entire bible this year.  I did as a young adult, and I've since started it several times with my daughter, but we never finished.  This coming year we are going to use this tool and see if we make it.  We have a head start!)

Plato's Apology
Plato's Crito  (Is the unexamined life worth living?)



Short Stories

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber (American) So humorous and short...

A Christmas Story : Katherine Anne Porter (American)  Humorous with a moral...


Essays

The Sting of the Torpedo Fish on Socrates by Christopher Nelson (learning is earned with effort...)

The Catholic Tolkien and the Knights of Middle Earth by Stratford Caldecott

Christmas Bell by Douglas Ulman  (It is about the origin of the Christmas Bell Carol made famous by Bing Crosby and Mel Torme.)

Whatever Happened to Noblese Oblige by Dwight Longnecker  (To whom much is given much shall be required.)



Poetry

Christmas Bells by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
A Christmas Carol Poem G.K. Chesterton

Lighter Reading
Finishing the Tony Hillerman series


Some interesting vocablualry

calumny
ersatz
subsidiarity
Noblese Oblige




6 comments:

  1. Very beautiful reading list! I mostly read novels and New Age books so I'm not sure my reading list per month would have more than 1 or 2 things on it, though I think it is a beautiful idea to include what I'm currently reading on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jen. It is a nice way to keep a record.

    I have not read a lot of New Age books, but this little biography was really interesting. "The Man Who Tapped the Secrets of the Universe by Glenn Clark. It is a brief biography of Walter Russell and he was one of the first "New Agers". I'm not sure that is a word.

    This one is sort of a geometry book of nature and art. A Beginners Guide to Constructing the Universe by Michael Schneider. He also has a series for kids and several years ago, we did one of the workbooks. We went around the yard and nearby desert looking for these concepts in nature as well as doing the drawings of the geometry of stain glass windows. It was one of those hands on things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great list. I want to read the Secret Life of Walter Mitty soon, Your library is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dawn. You can read it online for free here:. http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2013/12/walter-mitty.html at the non profit Library of America.

      Delete
  4. How fantastic you are reading Plato! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. When we do read like books like this we try to right down one idea to take from each.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su