21 December 2013

Christmas Treats


Gifts

We are just close enough to the mountain to smell creosote; it breathes before it rains.
It's sprinkling out there, and my daughter whispers,
"Don't say rain; it might hear you and stop."





Desert rain is a special gift; the plants are greener, because the dust is washed away.
(This photo was untouched.)





Today, I want to share some goodness from Sweden.
The first two pretty ornaments are handmade by Ms Misantropia and
they look at home with our southwest handmade ornaments.


and


and

It's a purple, beaded snowflake.  This one Ms. Misantropia selected.
My daughter loved this one, because it is the color of her aura.
There were three snowflakes with some pretty little note cards with Swedish images.
Thank you, Ms. Misantropia.
 
Do you see the little mission to the right of the snowflake?  It's a replica of Zuni mission made by David Gallegos.  Many many years ago I had the gift of seeing the inside.  In those days few people saw the inside unless they were from Zuni pueblo; I think this may still be so.  It was magical.  The tin ornament is San Cristobal by Richard Gabriel Jr.





I made a little crown out of flexible wire for one of my daughter's rabbits.  I guess it's a little crooked on his head from tea parties.





The Nutcracker angel  that I painted is wearing some wings.  She is standing behind some miniature retablos that I found in New Mexico.  St. Lucia is the one with the violin.
The book is Tony Hillerman's autobiography called Seldom Disappointed.
"Those who expect the least are seldom disappointed."

and...






I threw some poinsettia garland on the chandelier, and it looks a little more festive.





 Here's an old photo of a gift my daughter gave me a few years ago.  I have the shell on display, but the camera I have now couldn't capture it.
A shell is a beautiful gift.  The other day she found a little piece of twisted wood.


and


My spouse is working in the kitchen, because he is the best at making candy.
Sometimes the sweetest or most memorable gifts are the ones we create, the ones we discover in nature, or the act we do for one.




(A quote from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.)


And Oh!

We watched the first Hobbit movie, and I want to leave you with a quote from Gandalf.

"Some believe it is only Great Power that can hold evil in check.  But that is not what I have found.  I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay.  Small acts of kindness and love."


Blessings to all this holy season and Merry Christmas.










39 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty. Merry Christmas to your and your family!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos and quote. Merry Christmas to your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bernideen. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. Your daughter is the most remarkable gal from what she writes and what you say of her! The colour of her aura and crystal collecting! So happy young ladies like you and her both exist! Those are some glorious decorations, your artistic skills are soooo lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer, and likewise. XOXO Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  4. wise words from Gandalf . . . Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the quotes...pure love and wisdom. I adore the crown for the bunny. I just LOVE your ideas Sue. Ooh could I have a great time having tea with you and picking your brain! I'll check out the book you mentioned by Tony Hillerman. Happy Happy Winter Days and Merry Christmas! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas to you and your family. I love the book, but I am a fan of his mysteries. I spent several years up and near Navajo-land when I was young. The land and culture sort of mesmerizes one, especially if one has a bit of the non anyalytical. Perhaps the book is an esoteric niche, but it is such a great quote that I try, as flawed as anyone else, to live by. This time of year can be difficult for many, for so many different reasons. Small acts of kindness and love... What a difference it can make. XOXO Sue

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas! and your pretty touches look so beautiful!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, and Merry Christmas to you and your kitty!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos and pretty signs of Christmas. Merry Christmas.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. The merriest and most blessed Christmas to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BJ, and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete
  9. LOVE the Gandalf quote. I love how nerdy you and your daughter are! Y'all would fit right in with us.
    Pretty decorations, and I but say that your photo (the first one) is spectacular. I love it!!!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, RJ. That's funny. We are.

    My daughter took the first photo! I put her watermark on it too, but not too big. It's wild. We were out hiking, and she said that she saw something; that's what she captured. She can be very observant.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your very kind words on my blog the other day, they mean a lot. Rain....such a gift when there isn't any, a gift from the heavens. I adore the quote at the end and the photograph your daughter took - lovely! Happy Holidays!
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty. Blessed Holidays and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your family!

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you and your daughter liked the ornaments! But only the white and turquoise one is homemade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Misantropia. I 'm sorry that I made a mistake. I fixed it! :)

      Delete
    2. My daughter really loved the purple one. The things she says... She is so spontaneous yet, she knows what she is talking about.

      Delete
  13. Gandalf is very wise indeed. :)
    Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season to you and your family,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete
  14. I'm awed by your painting-she's gorgeous!!
    Merry Christmas :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas Su! (& family!) I love all the little holiday touches you have placed around your house. It all goes perfectly with your cozy decor and yet it is so festive! I love all the snowflake ornaments but I think my favorite is the pure white one that looks like it has little round beads all over it. So precious! And the first photo of after the rain is absolutely gorgeous. So professional looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey. Yes, that one is so pretty and Ms. Misantropia made that one! My daughter took the first photo!

      Delete
  16. Such a pretty Christmas post. I love homemade best. It takes thought and care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your sweet snowflake ornaments and your lovely chandy! I also appreciated your nice comments on my vintage family photo collage and words of wisdom from Gandalf too. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a lovely post: beautiful pictures and great quotes! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. Merry Christmas to you, your family, and kitties.

      Delete
  19. Lovely Christmas ornaments and touches. Merry Christmas to you and yours! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that I read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings at least 3x in my lifetime and never thought the movies could do it justice but they did very well.

    That first photo is magical....looks like a rainbow road for fairies to walk on : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were surprised too!

      You're right. It does look like a fairy bridge.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su