04 December 2013

Advent Days 3 and 4 With Links





We have been busy and I am sure you have. 
I saw this video on knitting a scarf with your arms.  I showed my daughter, and she thought we would just end up tangled, and she did not want to injure her piano hands.  Smart child!   But it really was interesting to watch!  
Hanging a wreath is simpler.









I had hoped to write this post sooner, so I apologize that it's a few days late, 
because I have some special links.
Here's something that is enjoyable.  My daughter loves Jacquie Lawson's animated Advent calendar every year.  I in turn, give one to my niece, and it is only four dollars, and it provides so much enjoyment.  Even if you have more than one child, each child can open the doors or play the games on just one calendar as many times as they like.  Adults even enjoy her calendar!

We also love Professor Carol's daily advent e-mails.  She is offering the letters free.
My daughter took a music history lecture with her a few years ago after she finished her home study course.

We also love our special advent tree. 





 I place a bible verse, an ornament, and a candy inside each door.  Some days have activities for example, St. Nichlas's day and St. Lucia's Day.





 Even my daughter gets involved in the decorating. 
 I found that she made this delightful display with a rabbit that my mother sewed her.


























There is my porch's chalkboard.  It says, "Come in... Come in!  and know me better, Man!"
The quote is from the Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, and we read it every year. The little sketch is suppose to be my daughter with her Ikea lantern.  The clogs are from when she use to dress as Heidi, and they have goats on them.  
New readers might not know that I made the white wreaths.
And the The little trees are from Ikea; live trees should not be planted in our climate.
My daughter and I feel so sad for the pine tree when we see one in the low desert.




 That's ice coffee on the library table,
but tomorrow is going to be so cold that we might have to turn on the heat!
Maybe we will bake these cookies one afternoon. We have our own ginger cookie recipe, but they don't work with cookie cutters, so I want to try this recipe.

I have a list of children's Christmas books that I want to find and share.
Do you have a favorite?

Oh, and if you love cats you have to see this short.  There are two videos: one is a commercial, and the other is how they made it.

From my kitchen, I  shared my tomato soup recipe with some unusual ingredients.
I love soup when the days are cooler.



I almost forgot, Happy last night of Hanakkuh to friends!

Sharing with:

 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg





40 comments:

  1. love the Advent tree!!! and the Advent season in general. I will need to check out your link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniela. I bought it many years ago.

      Delete
  2. The advent tree is adorable and I like that you have included bible verses for each day. Your decor and home is beautiful! Visiting from share your cup. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas. Thank you. I am now following you.

      Delete
  3. Your wreath is beautiful and so is your porch! Happy holidays to you and your sweet family! Your daughter is so pretty. I hope you both find the list of Christmas books to share. I have a few on our library table but I would love to get more! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please share the list of Christmas books when you find them!!! You are so cute...I love the Dickens quote on the chalkboard!!! :D
    Your advent calendar shaped lie a tree is adorable! I made an advent wreath for the first time this year. Our advent calendar for today says to make a joyful noise (100th Psalm).....I can't sing, but I sure can make some noise!

    Your daughter is so cute, and I love the cozy vignette in your library! *nice*

    xo,
    RJ

    PS Thanks so much for linking-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RJ. I will.

      Your advent wreath sounds so cute!

      Delete
  5. Been catching up on some of your blog posts, love your home decked out for the holidays. In love with that sweet advent tree and the treasures that are behind each door....clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely! ... 2nd of Advent will be here soon :) ...and third and fourth too *xmas panic* lol Hugs and Summer greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your daughter's display of the bunny and violin! I also like the little pine tree on the library table. Your house is all ready for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember how old your daughter is, but one of our family favorites is A Mole Family Christmas. It is a quick read that our family always likes to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Art and Sand. I don't have that book, but I could check the library. I have a big stack of picture books that I lay out, because the stories are so good they are worth reading again. When she was little we use to read one a day. Now she can pick them up at her leisure. My mom use to always lay out the Christmas books, so that's where I got that idea.

      Delete
  9. Love the wreath and your tiny tree (and is that a pot from IKEA..?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Misantropia. The white pot in the darker room with the books is from IKEA and so is the tree and wreath! They were selling them here, which is a really good idea, because real trees don't last but a day here. It's too dry and warm, though we are currently having a short cold spell. I loved them so much, because they look real compared to what is available around here. Well I went back to get the bigger tree when I had the money and it was gone. :( I bought the blue pot from a second hand store. I also found a short article for you that I think you will enjoy. Krampus. I never heard of him or her. http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/12/krampus-saint-nicholas-dark-companion/100639/

      Delete
  10. That cats short was too cute! I love the advent tree...we always had a wreath and a calender when my boys were little ( because I had one as a child )

    Now those clogs make me want to go to the library and get a Heidi book...oh I loved Heidi as a child. I always wished that I was her, sleeping in a loft :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. My daughter really loved that book. She has the "Heidi" dress too. It came from Germany. I put it away for her for when she has children someday.

      I loved the Shirley Temple version of the movie.

      Delete
  11. I LOVE the advent tree. Where do you find these things? That is something I would scoop up and add into my decorating. What a special daily routine.
    Well, it looks like I will have to come back to visit all these links. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I had that tree for about 13 years now. I bought it in the fall around the time my daughter was born for her first Christmas. It came from PB. My daughter has another cute one that is all birds that we found at second-hand store for twenty. I have not been able to get a photo, because it is in her room.

      Delete
  12. Three years ago a friend sent me a J.Lawson advent calendar and I was hooked. I love them each year.
    What a sweet little tree in the IKEA tin. It is always so fun to see other homes decorated for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your white wreath. I went to the store to buy the things I would need to make one and talked myself out of it, now I can't remember why!! Yours is lovely. I also adore that large framed blackboard - I think I might need one of those. I love Christmas novels but I don't know much about children's novels. Your daughter is lovely.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty. I do that too. Tonight I was debating over Christmas lights for a project; I didn't make a decision.

      If you have an old pair of pillow cases that material would work. The the other day I replaced the interior cover of my comforter, because it was worn, and I saved it, because most of the material is perfect for a project like this.

      Delete
  14. I enjoy your beautiful photos!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to get on the ball with an advent calendar. Argh! The bunny from your mother is absolutely darling! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jen. Because Thanksgiving was late this year, it seems rushed. I empathize. XOXO

      Delete
  16. Everything is so beautiful! It put me in the mood to decorate. I feel a whole new level of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You sound a lot like me, with your finger in many pots! I love the wreath and that advent tree, and that chalkboard...be still my heart! Your daughter sounds like she is following in your footsteps with the decorator's touch. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your advent calendar, and I love seeing pictures of your house they are always so warm and cozy looking

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your advent calendar. I'm curious. How cold is it when the weather gets cold where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. We are having unusual weather for this time of year. When I woke up this morning it was 34, so hopefully my lemons were not damaged. The normal average low for December is 46, but during the day the average highs are closer to the 70 in December. It is not usual for it to get to 80. In the winter one can usually shed their coat by 10 a.m. and put it back on after sunset. I don't recommend bringing shorts, but people who travel here in the winter from the East or Europe bring them and sit by the pools. For us natives and near natives, it's cold, because the air is super dry.

      Delete
    2. I meant that we can get some low 80s during the day in December.

      Delete
  20. I have the same advent tree and I love it! Now that it's just hubby and I it's mainly just used for decoration. Sometimes I'll fill it and let a grandie open it when they are visiting. Didn't get around to it this year. I love how you displayed it. The little bunny and violin is so sweet for your sweet daughter! I also love your chalkboard. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your white wreaths and the event tree!! Sounds like you are in the full Christmas spirit!! Enjoyed your photos and post~~~especially that chalkboard vignette! Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su