10 November 2013

What We Accomplished This Weekend

This morning, the light passing through the kitchen's wreath looked like a butterfly!


My daughter is currently reading the Tony Hillerman series. It's a mystery series that involves primarily The Dineh, also called The People, or as studied in school the Navajos.

I'm so happy that she is old enough to enjoy these.  The writer traveled all around places that I use to live as a teen. I took this photo with a phone, and the quality is better than my camera!


This November we began working on my spouse's home office, and it is at least a six month project just like the kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping porch. We will do the work ourselves except for the electricity, and fortunately, there is no plumbing involved.  

This weekend, my spouse replaced this old window on his home office.  The old glass was taped to the window and there was no way to repair it, but he was able to save the doors of the window just like he saved the old door for projects.  Below is the new window.
He still needs to trim it, but he installed this window himself.  In contrast to the rest of the windows on this old house, this window was a standard size available on dealer's website, but despite this, it needed to be custom made, because they don't sell this type of window in this area.  You are looking at it from the outside, but from inside the potting shed.

The good news is that it cost around the same amount of money as it would have cost from the website, and my spouse saved quite a bit by doing the work himself.

We also went hiking, and my daughter took the photos, but I will have to ask to post.


19 comments:

  1. You are so patient to take on the long projects, but your end results are wonderful. I imagine that is what keeps you going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have some windows that need to be replaced...but we can't change all of them...and we can't do it ourselves. One day we probably will have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniela, my spouse was only able to replace the doors and windows in his office and two of the three sets of doors on the sleeping porch. Most of the windows on this home were custom sizes and installed into a cement block wall or brick without framing. If there are enough windows on the home, which was not the case here, there are often specials. For example buy four, get one free.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it fun to have a child who loves to read!! BTW, as you know, I simply can't get over that gorgeous kitchen of yours. sigh.

    I'm having a 4-day-4 soap Christmas Giveaway on now through Thursday. Hope you'll stop in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Especially this day and age! There are so many distractions!

      Delete
  4. Nice window! I need to swap out a few of mine... it never ends does it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ends! And you did an awesome job on your laundry window! ( I let my spouse.)

      Delete
  5. A new window is pretty exciting! So great that your husband was able to do the install himself... I bet you guys saved quite a bit of money! As always, can't wait to see the space when it's completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey. It's a savings of several hundred dollars.

      Delete
  6. Love the photo of your daughter and that she loves to read!! Working at a library, I really appreciate that! :) Love the new window! Lucky you to have a "Handy Man"!

    Hugs!
    LBDH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie. I had no idea you were a librarian!

      Delete
  7. The light passing through the wreath is absolutely beautiful! I love the photo of your daughter's eyes peeking above a stack of books! Priceless! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. I tend more to use symbols than words. You caught two of them. Hopefully, I can buy a new digital camera soon. Nothing fancy. It just needs to work. These days, I often use mine or my daughter's phone.

      Delete
  8. Great! A new project! I know it'll be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. We just keep going, don't we?

      Delete
  9. I am in the window replacement business right now as well. Wish I had a certain somebody that felt he could change our windows. Cold weather is setting in so it cannot wait.
    Looking good over there...as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. It's an easy window because it went into a wood frame. And the weather is cooperating. It was almost 90 this weekend. It would be more difficult if one had to contend with cold, wet, or snow!

      Delete
  10. Wow, look at that pile of books! Maybe your daughter should join A Book & A Blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very wise thing you have accomplished here. Light shines like a halo across your kitchen. And that was made possible with the simplest of remedies. Take the old stuff down, if it stops being of any good, and find other means of improving your window like installing curtains, perhaps.

    Roxie @ Allure

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su