23 November 2013

Holiday Preparations





I added a rabbit ornament to the wreath I made.  
I don't know who made the rabbit by hand, but she came from Mexico.




With driving to piano concerto and ballet practices, it seems every year Christmas approaches quickly, so I've been doing a bit of decorating. 

We pulled out my daughter's Heidi clogs.  Don't you love the little goats?
They were made in the U.S.A.


It's raining outside!
 We are so happy to have desert rain!  But it has  been a little cool, so I pulled out my knitted blanket that my mother made for me over thirty years ago.  In the mornings I wrap it around me, while I drink coffee and check my e-mails.

And from our kitchen...
this photo looks pretty good, but it was taken a couple of weeks ago...



But this is what I could get today.  It is hit or miss with this camera.  Sometimes I get ten of these in a row.  But I wanted to show you the big batch of filling.
In the kitchen we are making potato cheese pierogi.  
We boil the dumplings and then freeze them for Christmas.

Unfortunately, they are NOT gluten-free.  

The outside of our dumpling is thicker than I remember.
My great grandmother had her own recipe, but it was by sight, 
and they were filled with plums.  
They are delicious filled with apricots too, but I don't remember how we made them.


After I wrote this,  I had the realization that everything mentioned was created with hands.





28 comments:

  1. oh what a gorgeous blanket!!! I want!!! That space looks so fabulous. Enjoy the rain - we've got lovely sunshine - even though it is below 0.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I'm cold and it is probably 55, but my blood is thin from living in the heat.

      Delete
  2. What a pretty wreath! Your hand made blanket is so lovely and I am sure you think of your Mother everyday you use it.... take care.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. those clogs are just too cute!

    I love pierogies ....I need to make a batch! last year I made potato & cheese, potato & kraut, and then my son wanted chicken and pepper...they worked out nicely...some bbq chicken and green pepper. I thought he was crazy but in the end they tasted great. When I was a young married, my FIRST try at home made ones all fell apart in the boiling water. Yep, every last one of them. LOL ! ( well I was not laughing then, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! How could I forget! The first two years half of them fell apart! I love the kraut ones, but don't know how to make them.

      Delete
  4. Love the bunny pin added to your wreath! I'm a bunny nut so I'd do something like that, too. : ) I've got my Wednesday planned to do some baking and prepping a few things for Thanksgiving. My daughter hosts now but I like to bring some of our traditional favorites to the table. Your pictures look dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My daughter is loves bunnies and rabbits.

      Delete
  5. I had a Ukranian friend in college. I loved going to her home at the end of the day to sample her mother's fresh pierogi. It was delicious. Somewhat fattening I recall but yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wreath and the pierogi's sound yummy. Thanks for sharing.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how festive! I do love those darling clogs. Wonder if they come in my size? :)

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for leaving the lovely comment about the mini French kitchen! Your cottage looks so lovely, I really like that little space with the iron bed and I'm sure it's the perfect spot to relax, especially with your mother's handmade blanket wrapped around to keep the chill out.

    Happy to follow you here and on Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just had pierogi for dinner tonight! They are very popular here because we have a large Polish community. I love the beautiful blanket your mother knitted it looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always smile when I visit your sweet little dessert cottage! :D LOVE the wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ricki. That's so sweet of you to say.

      Delete
  11. I just love your home! The bunny on the wreath is fab! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that all of the things are handmade. So charming. The knitted blanket is really lovely -- I haven't seen that kind of pattern before. And the shoes! Adorable.

    ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. My mom use to crochet all the time, but this was the only blanket she ever knitted. (That would be hard to believe if one saw it up close.) She thought knitting was so much harder than crochet.

      Delete
  13. I love the wreath and enjoyed having one more peek in your kitchen. I guess you'll read that wrapped in your gorgeous blanket, cup of coffee in hand! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that blanket and the wreath is stunning. Great bling. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. I hope you and your family have a very Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su