07 November 2013

Built a Garden Bed

The front yard of the house looks magical.  
The plants we planted last autumn are thriving and blooming.








In the backyard, our lemon tree has fruit despite neglect, 
and its only source of water is runoff from the roof.
I think we will have lemons for Thanksgiving and Christmas, because some are turning yellow. Our tangelo has not produced fruit yet.






But we wanted to start a garden in the backyard, before dealing with all the masonry left here and landscaping the backyard. We planned to build three beds, but only had the time to build one.  My spouse has not had the time to get the dirt, and I don't know if we will get anything planted during our growing season.  We bought two potted plants, but it was still too hot and they didn't make it while building this. 



 We used pressure treated wood and a plan from Better Home and Gardens to create the bed.


Update: We rebuilt our beds out of redwood following Sunset Magazine's plan instead.

16 comments:

  1. I have had my meyer lemon tree for three years and it hasn't produced any edible fruit yet! The picture with your daughter is absolutely DARLING!!! I can't wait to follow your progress in your garden! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. That sounds like the tangelo I have. It already was a couple of years old when I bought it, and it has been in the ground for over a year. I hope you get fruit soon.

      Delete
  2. It all looks so great! I love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. The flowers really bloom when it is not baking.

      Delete
  3. Jealous of your lemon tree! I love seeing trees giving fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly looks hopeful. Great things to come. Kitty knows how to steal the show. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so strange seeing pictures of your citrus trees thriving in the sun, and you guys planning a garden bed - when winter is coming over here, with darkness and tons of icy rain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misantropia, we really don't get a "winter". We have about an 8 month gardening season, and then it will be too hot to grow anything.

      Delete
  6. Oh I can't believe you have lemons! You're lucky! Here a lemon tree would have to go the conservatory this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. I guess even though your winters are mild, there are too many cold mornings and nights.

      Delete
  7. I love fruit bearing trees. Your lemons are coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. It's amazing, because everything in the backyard is neglected.

      Delete
  8. It looks great! I can't wait to see how it looks all done. Your front yard looks amazing! ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I would love to live somewhere I could have a lemon tree in my yard. The plants are growing nicely. ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su