24 October 2013

Vintage Alice Wonderland Room

The autumn light makes this room tricky to photograph.


My daughter wanted to remake her room for the fall, but I told her she had to "shop the house", because we just did a mini makeover in the summer.  It's the age.

We layered the bed with one of her old quilts.  
She wanted more contrast and sparkle, so she borrowed a wooden box and a pillow from the living room, and she switched the lamp in the bedroom for the beaded lamp on her piano.  She also borrowed one gray sham from the sleeping porch's day bed.






We moved the butterfly back to the foot of the bed.  That butterfly was a fireplace screen in former homes that had fireplaces, and I've had it many years.




She rearranged her clocks, crowns, and keys.
On her tea table, that's actually an Alice in Wonderland chessboard and she plays well;
a friend of hers gave it to her many years ago,
but the pieces are safely tucked away to protect them from her cat.  

My father gave her the keys many years ago.
The corner cupboard is full of trinkets and awards.






We made the bow wreath  
The Cheshire cat was drawn by a friend of hers.



One Christmas all she asked for was a typewriter.  She stacked two of them.
Some day I have to show you a close up of this desk.


We hung the Anthropologie hooks; we originally purchased the fox and the rabbit last Christmas, but we never got  around to hanging them.  The silhouette is my daughter's from when she was three years; it was made on her first trip to Disneyland.  We made the chicken wire message board and chalkboard.


She dressed her dress form with a Christmas tree skirt, and the jester was an eight dollar find from a vintage store.






She has lots of baskets for organization, and the ones under the bed hold paperbacks.



Today her version of tweedle- dum and tweedle-dee are tortoises.



We have two of these barstools and one is in the kitchen.  When one has small rooms barstools are great because they fit under spaces, and even when they don't, they take up less space, because they don't have a back, which takes up a couple of more inches of floor space.  This one fits nicely under her desk.


I have had that white chair over twenty years, and it is fairly clean, because it is leather.
The faux sheep skin rugs are from IKEA.
The floors are concrete, so we put a couple of those down for twenty dollars, and it will keep her feet cosy in the cooler months.

The room really suits my writer and musician, and her forever love with Alice and vintage.

When I look at the photos, it's hard to believe that this is small home.  We have less than 1100, plus the three season, sleeping porch gives us another 300, an office in the carport, and a shed.  This room is actually a suite, so my next post will be on the small changes in the library.







31 comments:

  1. Your daughter has a lovely bedroom! I love the Alice themed décor. My daughter loves Alice, too. When I did my granddaughter's bedroom for her we incorporated a lot of the Alice themed items and I made a few, too. She is only 3 now, but I could see from your pictures how this theme could grow along with her. Love the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! It's been adaptable. She has had an Alice theme since she was two.

      Delete
  2. A lovely room indeed - fit for a PRINCESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. We keep mixing it up by moving furniture and accessories around.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful room.

    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!
    What a great idea to shop the house.
    Sometimes I see ideas in magazine and realize I can do that from what I have in my house.
    I love it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. It's fun to do that and it freshens up the entire place.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet room. I love all the little touches. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. Her favorite part is that the butterfly is her room now.

      Delete
  7. Your daughter has a wonderful room. I love how you and she shopped the house - it is a very good talent to have.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty. I think so. I hope she will learn to be frugal.

      Delete
  8. Shopping the house is a great way to decorate. Sometimes you end up finding great new spots for pieces that you've forgotten about :-) Your daughter's room looks very cozy & comfy with all it's vintage charm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's such a beautiful room....sweet and feminine and just utterly charming. I love that butterfly / what a lovely touch ! I have a set of small stuffed Alice toys...Alice & Toto, the lion, tin man, and scarecrow. Brought back from my office when it closed, and probably acquired when one of the sales guys had DK as an account, years and years ago. They probably came with an interactive book and CD or something. The little kids ( grands ) play with them a bit but there are so many toys here they'd not be missed if you think your daughter would like them. Email me your address if she would :) debrapugh@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. this a very beautiful room. I love how you pulled this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daniela. I hope she is learning to see how to be frugal.

      Delete
  11. A perfect girls room....very girlie, but still very elegant! Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. She has always had sophisticated taste for her age. She went through the bright color phase only for a short time. She is very sensitive to color and how colors make her feel.

      Delete
  12. This has to be the classiest and most whimsical little girl's room I have ever seen. I would have loved one like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the room and love that bird pillow. the blue in that pillow is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rivercrest College. She pulled it from the living room. We have a black piano and there is a bird theme in the rug of the living room.

      Delete
  14. Your daughter has a very nice room. I love the colours in the bird pillox added on her bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. I think she is very lucky. I didn't have such a nice room when I was her age.

      Delete
  15. this is such a gorgeous room. All the better since it was shopped from around the house.
    We are huge book lovers here and I need to rearrange our stacks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su