01 October 2013

Sleeping Porch Series & Reveal

October is here and so is my new sleeping porch!



This is a small house.  And when we found it we thought this sleeping porch or Arizona porch was really cool with the four broken windows and the exterior door.    It actually looked worse than the photo below.  
My spouse had already removed the rotted wall boards and had painted over the green and brown by the time I took this photo.  Here is the renovation's progression.



The porch will give us extra room for seven or eight months of the year. The other four months of the year are too hot, so at some point we will consider cooling it.

With the pieces I owned as a base to work from, I went for a French country cottage look.
Mostly due to the room's features: ceiling, brick walls, planked walls, exposed conduit, and an extremely large armoire (that wasn't moving), I chose a pale palette.  

This is the palest palette I've done to date, and it is sort of Swedish.  I chose mostly whites, grays, with some black.  The accessories will give it color; with a palette like this it is easy to accessorize with color, because all colors work with this base.  

Sleeping Porch







This saying is from Alice in Wonderland and the piece is Mozart.




I have been deciding how to present the reveal of the sleeping porch; after all, we spent months working on it, but it is paid for too.  We complete one project at a time.

Fortunately, I still had many pieces to furnish this room, because our former home was quite a bit larger. But despite the head start, I still had a lot of work to do on the interior, not just the exterior.

1.  I found a some inexpensive pieces at vintage shops.

2.  I painted a piece from the vintage shop.  

3.  We painted furniture that I was storing in my shed. 

4.  My spouse and friend moved a sofa from the library to this room.  
(That means I have a room that I need to redo.)

5.  My spouse painted three sets of French doors.  The third time one was the charm!
He mastered how to do it. 

6.  Linens & Fabric

7.  Ikea Finds

8.  Paint Colors

9. Curtains & Rods

10.  The Floor


Also, this porch is large and divided into several areas.
It is not possible to photograph it all at once.

TV Area

Sleeping Area

Work Area

Laundry Area

Coffee and Microwave Area

So today is just a glimpse of the center of the room, and it's the new view from my dining room.  I will gradually reveal the entire porch as a series.  Soon...

The chalkboard was under sixty dollars; it was an inexpensive find at a vintage shop. The bureau beneath it and the chandeliers were also inexpensive vintage finds as well. 
The first drawer of the bureau is for extra linens and the other two will hold books.
My sleeping angel is over twenty years old.

More tomorrow.

I made the wreath.










27 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. You've done such a great job at renovating and decorating. Can't wait to see the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a big TEASER this is - looking forward to seeing ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just BEAUTIFUL!! You have worked very hard and it shows! Hopefully, we will be starting on our cottage soon....Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxie. I look forward to seeing your cottage's transformation.

      Delete
  4. The result of your transformation is amazing and lovely ! I can imagine how happy you are !!
    xoxo from PARIS

    Joëlle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it but I want more!! I know...greedy aren't I? Are you going to show us the whole room!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like it will be a delightful space.:)
    Over from Lavender Garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BJ. It's been a lot of work, but it will be worth it.

      Delete
  7. I love the look of this room. We are actually in the beginning process of adding a sunroom (3 season room) and deck to our home, and I am brainstorming about furnitures for that room. I think I will "declutter" the home and pull another room together

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. Because I moved some things around, I have more space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore that very light and subdued palette you're using in the sleeping porch. It makes the room very serene and I can't wait to see more of it. The view you now have from your dining-room is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. As you know, renovation is a lot of work.

      Delete
  10. Oh my word, love that chalkboard, fabulous. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty. I found it in a vintage shop for less than 60 dollars!

      Delete
  11. What an absolutely beautiful space that I am sure you are going to have many memories created there ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful space--I love it! All the white and Chandeliers make it looks so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. I am so happy I found those chandeliers!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! So sweet. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  14. Wowsers, I love your porch! I've been reading through all of your posts, and I love how you've organized each area. You could seriously write a book on organization. Good idea about the microwave! I love how you are fearless with the ASCP, too.

    Your daughter is going to love this space for sleepovers. The daybed is so pretty! They can play, watch movies, make hot chocolate and snacks, and give you and hubbie a date night in the rest of the house. YAY!!!

    Great job. Now I'm going to scroll back up and look at all the posts again.

    xo,
    RJ

    PS I agree about the coffee table especially since you have the cute and colorful cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ricki for the compliments and encouragement! XOXO Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  15. The sleeping porch looks great! I imagine how nice it would be to doze off in a soft cushion cuddled with million pillows while the wind blows those sheer white curtains. Congrats for having a perfect haven inside your house! I would love to see more of it. Lyn at DAL Builders

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su