02 October 2013

Media Section of the Sleeping Porch Reveal

Thank you, for the compliments! I'm sorry that I can't show it all at once, but the porch is 300 square feet.  Here is an overview of the process.

Yesterday, I gave you a glimpse of our sleeping porch from the dining room, and today, I am going to show you the media section of the porch.  I love this chalkboard and bureau from the vintage store.  I plan to use the top as a mantel during the holidays.



This is the only before photo, and 
I took it after my spouse painted and pulled the rotted wood off the walls.  Here is a summary of the renovation.



I have had this butterfly, fireplace screen for years and have had it in front of several fireplaces.  In this home, I am using it to cover the pipe to prevent people from tripping, because there is a door that goes from the master to the porch.  I couldn't find my magnets, but with magnets we can attach photos.



My daughter was very involved in the choices, and as you can tell she is really happy with the results.  (She really did her hair herself.  She learned to make hair buns in dance.)



Here is the view from the dining room with one door closed.



Here it is the room with the French doors open.  The entertainment/media area is to the left.  I already had the sofa and all the furniture to the left.  The sofa is from Ballard's Designs, and even though I've had it for many years, it is in superb condition due to their washable slipcovers .
This is our new view from the dining room.  I love the ceiling, but what a job my husband had painting it.  We have a real sense of satisfaction in seeing the completion of this project.  The French doors really open up the place.



I had the window's curtain rods, but I lost one of the four support brackets.  One does not want to lose Restoration Hardware brackets!!!  They sell them separately!!!  Have you seen their prices lately? They wanted 40 to 60 dollars per bracket, and I had to replace four, because they no longer had the one that matched mine.

Well, I found the perfect solution: Martha Stewart brackets; they were four for about 14 dollars at the Home Depot.  I think the white wood brackets look perfect.  As you can see, we have not yet worked on the backyard.


There is one of the brick walls that I have been writing about.  The other wall is planked.  The floors are painted concrete with an epoxy.  There are a lot of interesting textures in this room.

The armoire contains an old television set that has the plug-in for a WI.  I have a coffee table, but the family doesn't want it, because it is an obstruction.



Concrete Floors With Epoxy

This IKEA cart is used as a library cart.  I have a piece of stone that fits inside, so I can use it to place a drink.  The bureau also hold books.




Our friend joked that the white, striped chair was safely out of the way.  I think I had that chair before children.The handmade pillow is from a vintage shop and the drapes are from IKEA.



This is the giant EA armoire that we painted in Annie Sloan's French Linen.
I LOVE her paint!

Soon, I will show you some more of the porch!
(I actually can't decide what to reveal next.)

Sharing with:

Jan Olson's Share Your Cup

Between Naps on the Porch

Le Chateau Des Fleurs

Marty's Stroll Thru Life

This porch was featured at Isabelle's Chateau Des Fleurs on October 15, 2013.






39 comments:

  1. Wow, this is stunning. I LOVE your new room. I have to pin it right away.

    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is so beautiful. Show us more I am loving what I am seeing. So so pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola que bonito bloc, me ha encantado, yo tengo uno hace poco al cual te invito a verlo .

    Me gustan tus fotografias son una maravilla
    Muchas felicidades por tu bloc

    Julia
    Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks just beautiful! I love the French doors ~ so much natural light and easy access to the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I stared at that rotten wall for months and then one day I came up with the French door plan.

      Delete
  5. Omigosh, it just gets better and better! What a pretty room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for the encouragement and the door swing idea!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer for your kind comment regarding my porch.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, this is breath-taking! I am in love with this room. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane for the encouragement and kind comment.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful pictures, very French style!
    We Swedes, and other people, would love to think this is Swedish style, but that's only true in magazines. I don't know anyone who lives like this. Though I love that IKEA cart! And what an interesting style mix, with that concrete floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Misantropia. That's so interesting... only magazines. :) I have two of those Ikea carts. I use one in the bathroom. It's so handy.

      Delete
  9. First your daughter is gorgeous and I love the way she has styled her hair. I absolutely adore this porch of yours - how I wish I had a room like that! Thank you for your kind words about my ORC! I need all the help I can get.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never want to leave this wonderful space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Now, that it is about 100 we are out there all the time with the fan on.

      Delete
  11. This is just so gorgeous Susan - really - you did a magnificent job!!!
    What are the floors? I WANT them!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. The floors are concrete. The floors are painted with Sherwin William's "concrete" paint tinted Fawn Brindle with an epoxy over it. The epoxy makes it shine, and it makes shoe marks and spills clean up without a mark. It's very affordable and usually used on garage floors. My spouse applied the epoxy, and the epoxy is only around one hundred dollars. It's an affordable solution to an ugly floor! XOXO

      Delete
  12. It looks like such a nice place to grab a book and spend a nice moment in Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Magali! My daughter wanted something "Alice". It's subtle. There are two women here most of the time, and my spouse doesn't mind. Yet, I have not shown the curtains up close; they have a masculine detail. The curtains look like a male's dress shirt: pretty, but not frilly. But to be honest, my husband cares most about where the TV is. LOL

      Delete
  13. Your sleeping porch is beyond dreamy! I just love it all, it is sooooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is simply breathtaking. I enjoyed each photo more than the last!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, this room is so inviting. Love everything about it! I think I have the same draperies in my living room. Are they kind of a dotted Swiss? They were so inexpensive and I love them! Love the rolling cart. I can see I need to go back to Ikea. Thanks so much for sharing this with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. Yes, they have a little black and white dotted dashes. The cart is Ikea too!

      Delete
  16. This would be my favorite room of the house, too. I love the library cart...what a neat idea! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lavender Dreamer. The library cart is an inexpensive find from IKEA. I am now following you too!

      Delete
  17. Your porch is beautiful! I love the combination of the more "rough" elements, like the concrete floor and wood ceiling, with the soft & pretty elements like the chandeliers and sheer curtains and the comfy looking sofa :-) I'm thinking you're going to be spending a lot of time in this room!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it!!! Its so pretty and romantic, but also looks so cozy! I could definitely take a nap on that couch!! Beautiful job =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my word, this is stunning. I love all of your decor and the space is totally amazing. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  20. love it all. especially that large cabinet you painted. you said it was EA. What is EA? I'm loving the room every time I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. A French door definitely provides a home with a country-like setting. It's really great because you can consider it as an entryway and a huge window at the same time. That gives you a chance to decorate it however you want it. You can keep it as simple, bold, and beautiful as that. Otherwise you can put a wall of fabric there that will look as cozy and friendly as the daytime view.

    Willene Fagen @ Roofing & More, Inc

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su