25 October 2013

Home Library Small Changes


This is the library, and this room is attached to my daughter's bedroom, and
in the last couple of weeks, we made some small changes in here.

My spouse and his friend moved the sofa to the sleeping porch, and that left an almost empty room. But instead of moving in another sofa,  they moved in a table from my former home. Now that we have a library table in this room, we can use it for work or school work.  I also had the comfy chairs and slipcovers.

It's just a subtle detail, but the colors coordinate with the room it is connected to; it's a small home, and I like unity.  When my daughter has time, my daughter and I are going to work together again on adding some whimsy to library by shopping the house and shed.




 A year ago, we wanted barn hardware on the doors to save room by making the door slide, but the hardware was out of the budget, so this was our inexpensive solution to a sliding door.
It has worked well.
Here is the other.





I organize the books about every three months, because this room becomes really dusty and messy.  This time I did it by color and size, and it didn't take as long as I thought it would.  In fact, it was the fastest I ever did it; I was completed within an hour and a half.  Just like on the sleeping porch, I have a cart that I use as a portable library.  It's gray and in the foreground of the first photo.  Have you seen those libraries where the owner turns the books backward?  Well it's cool, and one could put them sideways, but it's not practical for us; I tried that on one shelf; it's not easy to find a book.

The slipcovered sofa works great in the sleeping porch, and it is getting more use.


Maria Elena's Decor's Tuesdays at Our Home




26 comments:

  1. What a great room! I love the table and chairs in here. Great idea to get your barn door. We are in a small home, too, so I know that every inch counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! The sweep of the door can really make a difference.

      Delete
  2. So lovely. I adore your library cart! And your sliding doors are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Hugs to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic idea, I am sure you will think up many ideas at that table

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the table and chairs, such a great idea and it definitley makes it more of a library. The sliding door is fabulous. I would love to have you link up to my Inspire Me party that goes live Monday afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful library! I have seen the pictures where the homeowner keeps the beige and grey colour scheme by inverting all the books on the shelf. I think that would drive me mad as well not knowing which books were which!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did me in my brief, small experiment. They all fell when I tried to move a few to see if I could find a book if I needed it. Definitely not for a reader!

      Color and size was easy; I have a visual memory, so I remember what book I am looking for by color and shape. I'm surprised I had not thought of it before.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful pictures and muted colors in the rooms of your last two posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of a cart for books that need to be out back later on shelves... Love it so much, I'll find my own cart someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. You have all those wonderful brocante sales in your area! Though most of the things in my home I have had for awhile or found second hand, this was an Ikea find.

      Delete
  8. Your home library is so pretty! :D I love the table and chairs. Very practical (and pretty, too).

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the library, so beautiful. Every home should have one! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat that you have a library! It is absolutely beautiful! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. We have lots of books! This odd little room, a walk way to my daughter's room, seemed like the perfect spot to create one.

      Delete
  11. I love your library! I wish I had a study that looked as nice as yours. The hardware you designed for the barn doors is masterful! Really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your library, you did a great job of using every inch of space. I could sit there all day and read.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous room! I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post to my party which is live now! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su