07 October 2013

Coffee and Microwave and Laundry Room

 This is still the sleeping porch reveal, and
these photos are just a refresher of the few of many that I shared a several days ago.
Today I will be sharing the laundry area in our older home, and it is located on our porch.








and the before...

Four Broken Windows, Rotted Wall, and One Door With No Window



It's important to love the home you have, and this porch was never going to look new , not with it's quirky features and it's age.  The imperfections and the old had to stay, but paint and a new wall made a huge difference in appearance to the brick, exposed conduit, and beams.

Below is the only steal casement window that we kept, and this view is the backside of the kitchen window.   I think the seventy years old window is charming.

The kitchen and part of the dining room are on the other side of this brick wall. We left this window, because it is protected from the elements outside of the house.  When I replaced the other windows, they tried to convince me to replace the front windows and this window too;  I decided not to replace either.  In my opinion, the custom replacement of this kitchen window would look like a bathroom window.

This is a small house, and the finished porch adds about 300 square feet for seven or eight months of the year.

Before we rebuilt the wall, the laundry was open to the outside elements.  Many times I had removed clothes from the washer or dryer and immediately dirtied them, and dust storms made this space unusable.  The French doors are perfect for letting light in and keeping dirt out.  Eventually I want to add retractable screens to the outside.



The Laundry "Room" of an Older Home

I had this furniture, but I painted it with Annie Sloan chalk paint, because they had different finishes.   French linen is the color.




The armoire holds the microwave, radio, and books.  We put the microwave on the porch, because we have a Breville in the kitchen; we use the Breville all the time, but rarely use the microwave.  My kitchen is petite.





I sanded it to show some of the white beneath the gray.


Cottage Porch Laundry Room

Underneath this table I store laundry detergent, coffee filters, and perhaps a lot more than that in the future.  The top of the console is for coffee preparation, and a place to set microwave dishes.







Coffee and Microwave Station

I made the chalkboard, the valance, and the curtain.
The valance is made from a sheet that is folded to match the elastic ends, and it hung by some two dollar World Market hooks.  These were easy to screw into the wood.  We were limited as to what we could hang here because this wall is concrete brick, and I don't like unnecessary holes in it.  Change your mind, or drill wrong and you have an ugly hole.

(I have a special drill for concrete that used inside the house, but most of the interior concrete walls are covered in plaster, and plaster is much easier to touch up.)



We attached a curtain rod to the console, and
the curtain below the console is made from a flat sheet that was folded three times.  These curtains look pretty with the black and white ones on the French doors.

When I am in the kitchen, I cannot see the porch's valance from the kitchen.  Because the porch is a step down, the valance had to be hung higher, so that it would not be seen inside the kitchen.

Our kitchen is petite, so it is convenient for us to place the coffee maker and the microwave next to the laundry area.

 Our washer stopped making the clothes clean, so we replaced the side by sides that were at least a decade old with this unit that we found on clearance.  We paid half of what they normally cost, probably because these are last year's models.

Thank you for visiting and appreciating the handiwork that went into this half-year project.




I have that shade sideways to hide the space behind the washer and dryer.  Because this wall is brick and the conduit is on the outside, there is a larger than usual gap behind the washer and dryer.  This shade with it's planked look, looks good with the planked walls and brick, because the pattern is going in the same direction.





This is a BIG porch!
 Coming soon the work/partying area and the sleeping area.

Sharing with:

39 comments:

  1. I like the way you've used the space for areas you need and use. And the creative storage you've added. It's just a beautiful room with style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lavender Dreamer, for the sweet compliment. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...and I covet your sink!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS a big porch - like a second home! And I love it. Beautiful, charming, inviting...I'll be there by the end of the week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you've decorated this space. Great idea unifying the pieces with the chalk paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a stunning space! I love it!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are simply amazing; nothing short of ingenious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Should be in a magazine! Love everything! Including those chalk board canisters! Thanks for stopping by my place and leaving your kind comments and Birthday wishes! I'm being naughty as I type this as I am eating a banana split and it is 10:45 pm! But hey! It's my birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for your sweet comment. Happy birthday! It sounds like you celebrated well! XOXO

      Delete
  9. I am a color girl, but I love your color palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Art and Sand. I think this is the most monochromatic room I've ever done, except for a very small condo that I gutted.

      Delete
  10. There are lots of great choices now when it comes on You can ask for a professional guide when selecting one that would fit to your needs.it is the Best Microwave oven

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I just want to say that your sleeping porch is gorgeous! I love the picture taken from just outside the door, shooting in toward the sofa. It's so beautiful. I am very bad at leaving comments but I subscribe to your posts and always enjoy reading them very much. Thank you for so consistently leaving nice comments at The Starfish Studio. Very kindly, Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Starfish Studio. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  12. It seems like your kitchen has almost all the equipments necessary with every thing are
    selected to provide a overall great look to kitchen.

    Thanks
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!!! Your sleeping porch is just FABULOUS!!! Love all the elegance and charm you've infused, and all that gorgeous natural light.
    Your did an amazing job.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fabric you used for your curtain. That little "coffee station" turned really inviting. You've done an amazing job in that room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. The kitchen is so small that I didn't like having to put away the coffee pot all the time. My spouse works from home and he is a coffee drinker! So I put it on the porch with the microwave (which we hardly use) next to the laundry. It is working perfectly.

      The fabric is ikea sheets. I'm not sure if I like the valance, but it needed something to soften the window without blocking sunlight to the kitchen. The wall is concrete brick, so I'm limited, unless I want to drill. I decided to put something into the wood.

      Delete
  15. All of it is GORGEOUS. Breathtaking even. Beautiful job and great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMGoodness I love everything about your beautiful sleeping porch room. You have done a fabulous job and your taste in decor is just beautiful. I love older homes with lots of character and your's is lovely. Thank you so much for sharing and do come and visit me at Tea Cottage Pretties. Hugs, Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the topiaries and the curtains with the clip rings. Just a beautiful job all around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this post ,,i am using this microwave oven from last few months i never face any kind of problem

    ReplyDelete
  19. ADORE the 2 petite chandy's in your first 2 photos...oh my. swoon-worthy really. and your porch a makeover is gorgeous! what a sweet....multi-functional space. you've utilized every inch of it to perfection. oh wow..i'm going back for another look. tee hee. happy day to you and "merci" for joining grey dey thursdey! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle, for the lovely compliment. It made my day. xoxo ♡ I hope your weekend is filled with beauty.

      Delete
  20. Very pretty and I agree with Michelle, those chandys are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda. xoxo ♡ I hope you have a beautiful weekend.

      Delete
  21. A M A Z I N G use of your space, dear one!!!
    I would LOVE to set up a Coffee/tea Bar in Studio One at some point n the future!!!
    Studio One is my creative space in the unfinished portion of our basement!!!
    I am totally intriqued with the way you hung the curtain/shade between the dryer and the coffee bar!
    Beautiful textures, hues and magnificient design in this porch!!!
    Totally inspiring!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Pat. I remember seeing your Studio One space this week, and the space will be a wonderful place to create. It would be good to have a microwave, a coffee pot, or an electric teapot nearby.

      My spouse hung both curtains into the wood beams. I used the heart hooks and attached rings to the curtain. Let me know if you need a better explanation.

      Thank you, for your visit and sweet compliments. xoxo ♡

      Su

      Delete
  22. What a great room! I love the 'plank' cover for the washer and drier...works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby, for your visit and sweet compliment. xoxo

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su