04 September 2013

The Armoire








This armoire suited another home well.  The wood and the details are quite beautiful.
When we moved, I tried to give it away, but everyone thought it was too large, and moving day came and the movers nicknamed it the "beast".

It was too large a piece for this room, but the armoire is separate from its bookcases, and it is has a trim kit to use the pieces as freestanding.  We separated the pieces and put the trim on.
(I like the way the wood of these bookcases looks with the whites and the grays in this room.)



But what did we do with the armoire?



The armoire has sat on the sleeping porch for over a year in two pieces, because I was not standing by when the movers decided it was too tall for the room.
  Naturally, I have grown tired of looking at it!    I even considered just taking it apart, because I grew weary looking at it.   But this past weekend, I finally made a decision and called a mover, and two hours and two hundred dollars later, it is back together again; it actually only took them a couple of minutes.  That's how long I waited for their arrival.



It was not too tall, but I knew that.  Moving is stressful.  

So it is not too tall, but it's quite large at almost 8 feet tall and five feet wide.  I did not want to paint the armoire, so months ago, we tried painting the brick wall gray, but I didn't like the gray brick.   

Finally seeing the piece back together, I have decided that even though the wood is beautiful, the size of this armoire looks too imposing in this small home, and I need to paint it, because it is here to stay, and I have to enjoy it again.

 I am going to start with French Linen, and if it doesn't work then, I will go an aged white.  
(As you can see, we have not finished painting the doors or refinishing the floor, because the armoire was in the way.)



This is the gray.
I tried this gray on a chair, and I like it with white.



Painting an Armoire

Unfortunately it is 110, and we won't be painting unless we get a storm that cools this place off.



15 comments:

  1. It is beautiful, and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's going to look so pretty in white. It's already a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. I agree. I didn't want to paint it, but it over powers the space. It was just a hard decision to make, because I like wood finishes.

      Delete
  3. it will look beautiful in a gray or white. The details will pop and the entire armoire will blend in making a less impact statement...and more of "I belong in here" kind of statement. It will cool off soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the result, that armoire is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazingly beautiful armoire - I can't wait to see this transformation -
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. I hope it comes out as nice as yours! XOXO

      Delete
  6. The armoire looks amazing, I can see how it can be overwelming in a smaller space. I think your idea to paint it is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. It is overwhelming, because the ceilings are so much lower. I hope it works!

      Delete
  7. Wow! That armoire is an amazing piece! Looking forward to seeing the after!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hope you're able to paint it. It's a gorgeous piece with fabulous bones and just needs a little lightening up. I think that once it's painted it won't look so large in the room. I have one almost identical to this, but it's not as tall. I've been wanting to paint it for ages, but just can't find the time to take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful piece-it will look stunning painted white!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su