18 June 2013

I'll just show you the mess.


I'll just show you the mess.

It's also one year since I started this blog, and I can't believe how much work my spouse and I have done this past year!  So thank you for reading here, you know who you are, and I appreciate the companionship on this journey.  Some of you I have known for only a year or less, and some I've know since my daughter was a toddler and hers a preschooler; good friends and neighbors can be made in blogdom.  And I would like to reflect on that thought.  



 We have five seasons: spring, summer, monsoon, autumn, winter.
All the toys are in, because the moisture is building and it soon will become our monsoon season. 
That means rain and we need rain in the desert.

  It's hot: 108 to 112 degrees outside, so the sleeping porch painting is going very slow. The sleeping porch has no AC, but eventually the plan is for it to have a separate heat pump to move the hot air out.
In the meantime the paint cooks quickly on the wood. 

The planked walls that my spouse installed are now painted Snowbound, and one side of one French door that he installed is painted Gateway Gray.  The ceiling still needs painting, but thank goodness the primer was already on it!  The floor will be last and will receive an epoxy treatment.

There is a giant armoire on the left that still needs to be put together, 
but I need to find three men to do it.  
It's name is the "Beast" as christened by the movers who moved it here.
We couldn't put it together then because it was going beside an exterior door that was missing.
Maybe another time I will tell the story.

All the before(s) and progress of the sleeping porch can be found under the label sleeping porch and one can see how it looked in the beginning.



Sharing with:

French Country Cottage's Feathered Nest Friday










30 comments:

  1. Bother, my comment was chewed up! I was saying how glad I am to have known you all these years, I consider you a real friend, and a very good one :-) It's also been wonderful watching our girls grow up and develop.

    I love the colours of your home. Fresh and yet soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the joys of renovation! Thanks for showing real life. Oh, I know what you mean about those large case pieces. We have a corner cabinet and an armoire that we have vowed to never move again. If we ever leave here, they are part of the sale!

    The painting is looking very nice on the sleeping porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linden Townhouse.

      Yes, this one will stay. :)

      Delete
  3. You've only been at it a year?
    WOW - the progress you guys have made on that house is just amazing!
    Can't wait to see this room finished
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the porch all finished but with those temps I would hate working out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. The price to pay for no "winter".

      Delete
  5. If nothing else, our blogs are a great record of how much we accomplish and should be proud of! Happy renovating :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mess is the sign of a busy & creative mind :-) I just read your post about the ceiling - I love the look of your blue & white ceilings, but I understand you wanting to paint the sleeping porch ceiling white and never have to paint it again! Have you considered buying or renting a spray painter? It would make the job a lot faster and easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly, for reminding me! A couple of weeks ago my spouse went looking for a part for his compressor to do this project. He didn't find it at one particular store, so I need to remind him to hit some others. I think it completely slipped his mind that he wanted to spray paint! It would make it easier and faster in this heat, and thinner paint would be a good thing in this situation.



      Delete
  7. Well, you are not the only one living in a creative mess. That is all it is. I like what you are doing. Can't believe how hot it is, I am thinking our 90' weather is dreamy now. I am feeling humbled! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. It's the price we pay for the winters.

      Delete
  8. I guess there always has to be a mess when work is being done. I always say just move stuff to another room, paint or whatever and put it back and you are done.!! We remodeled our kitchen way at the beginning of last summer and we still have stuff all over the place to put away. I couldn't even put my Christmas tree up last year. There was no room for it. Anyway, I would die trying to work in that amount of heat. You are my hero if you can do it..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who suffers from renovation's side effect: the mess! I love how the sleeping porch is looking so far - mess aside!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can't tell you how nice it is to see that other people have giant messes when they are working on things, too. I know it's a side-effect of the process, but I always feel like I'm the only one! Aren't the rest of the bloggers are super neat and tidy? Thank you for sharing so I can remind myself that we're all messy when we're knee deep in our DIY. Whew! (Oh, and it looks great. Looking forward to seeing the next steps!) ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those plank walls are so gorgeous! I always have a mess when I'm working on a project too. :-) Can't wait to see the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is looking good, you guys are doing an amazing job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always good to see the "mess" side of things. It is simple reality and reassuring to the rest of us. I am so glad that I found your blog whenever I did. Can't remember really when that was as it seems like we have been blogging buddies for some time now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great space! Love the French windows, and the brick. It's going to be wonderful. Note to self: Next house, sleeping porch is a must-have.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you are moving right along with your project!! A sleeping porch sounds wonderful~ thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su