24 May 2013

Progress on Porch Exterior




Before (four broken windows, a rotted wall, and a door.)

How do we do so much?
We are able to accomplish a lot for a little, because we do the work ourselves unless it's electrical or plumbing.  It is slow going, but one by one the projects become less.

And why can we do it?
We found a place that was significantly less than what was around it.

One by one the projects are completed!
We have about finished siding and caulking the outside of the sleeping porch, 
and then we will begin painting the walls and doors.  
  
We could have purchased French doors with side screens, but I knew they would be used as scratching posts by the cats, so in the future, we plan to install retractable screens; besides, 
open screens are not practical due to dust storms and the laundry location.

Do you see the open space to the left?
We are going to build a gate on the left to dress up the entrance that leads to the potting shed, my spouse's office, and the carport.

10 comments:

  1. It's a lot of work but it will look amazing!!!
    Have a great weekend!
    Bisous
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks fabulous. Interested in a holiday to Canada...I got lots of tools....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I have to take my daughter. She wants to go to the Glen Gould museum. I think that is in Toronto.

      Delete
  3. It's going to be fabulous. I just removed more than a hundred screws from my ceiling this weekend to avoid paying someone to do it. I can't feel my arms, legs and neck anymore, but as you say, it's better to go slow and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100 screws! Oh my, you will need an ice pack for your neck.

      Delete
  4. I am still so impressed at how beautiful your home is looking with all the upgrades you are doing yourself. I am certain your porch will look just as good when you finish. I like doing my own home repair, as well, but I have yet to do the sort of work you are. Sometimes, doing the work yourself makes it seem better than if someone had done it for you. Can't wait to see the finished porch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing work! My Hubby shy's away from projects like these. I love how it is looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spouse's dad was a carpenter and before he went to college he learned a lot working with his dad.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su