06 March 2013

One Side is Done


My daughter loves these.  She pins each image she sees.
She would say, "It looks fun and happy."
Well the other day Cultivate had an article on Smeg.

She also found this blog.

And then yesterday this below from Coastal Living....

 Intuition is a good thing.
We love our kitchen. We have been without one almost a year.

My first choice, a glass-door refrigerator, fell through last week; it was backordered for the third time, and I canceled.
I ordered it in January and it's March.
I immediately ordered our second choice: a different refrigerator from a different company.

(West Elm sells them and AJ Madison.)

They phoned Saturday and told me it would be here today!

The SMEG refrigerator is so cute with its rounded edges; it looks like a makeup compact from one of those companies with beautiful packaging.

When we see it we smile.  It's that nostalgic looking and the color so sweet.  And it looks great with the shelves and the freestanding cabinets we made with

the remnant, honed carrara gioia marble that was cut to size .

Pastel Blue

It's a small refrigerator, but the scale is just right for our small, 1944 cottage kitchen.  We chose pastel blue, but there are many colors to chose from.  The refrigerator portion is surprisingly roomy. It also opens like an old fashioned refrigerator in that one places one  hand on it while the other pulls the door.  All the older folks who came into the house opened it this  way, but all the younger folks had to be shown how.


Choosing a Refrigerator

There were only about five or six different kinds of refrigerators that would fit in our kitchen without going way over budget, and the SMEG had the most style for our price range.  I also had the budget because I saved so much with my cabinet idea.
(Besides cottages, I think the SMEG also would look great in mid-century moderns, lofts, condos, and in modern kitchens.)



My daughter thinks the refrigerator's handle looks like a smiley face.

The stove and hood are a Swedish company's Electrolux Icon professional series.

The SMEG color reminds me of the oceans that we use to live by and the turquoise of the Southwest.  It picks up the blues in my plate backsplash and in my home,
and it looks nice with gray, natural, and white.
Sometimes it is also all about the emotion it evokes?

The picnic basket is for linen storage and is from Pottery Barn.
 Actually all the baskets are from Pottery Barn.
It's cute, cute, cute!  Not for everyone, but it is a good choice for us.  It is energy efficient too, and costs next to nothing to run.

  It's getting closer to being done on the other side of the room too.
Soon I will be able to put food in my jars and in the refrigerator!

Thank you for sharing my enthusiasm and the remodel.









42 comments:

  1. I love that refrigerator, I wish I had one like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah.

      But at least it just doesn't look sweet, it costs next to nothing to run!

      Delete
  2. THE REFIGERATOR IS ADORABLE AND IT LOOKS SO CUTE IN YOUR KITCHEN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it it is so stinking cute and charming:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I have the cabinet installer here today. He's about 50 ish, and I think he wants to roll it away;) I

      Good memories... Simpler times...

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely right about your new refigerator ! It is cute and it fits perfectly. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that fridge is to die for! It looks amazing in your kitchen, perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is so much cuter than I imagined, if that is possible.

      Delete
  6. I love it and its rounded edges! Looks like one my mom had many years ago. How fun! And I love that kitchen. So lovely.

    Thanks for stopping in and commenting on yesterday's filibuster on the senate floor. Hope you have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cranberry. I was trying for that nostalgic look because the house is 70. Thank you, it's a compliment that the refrigerator reminds you of your mom's kitchen.

      Delete
  7. This is absolutely darling. I love it and your kitchen looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty, for the feature. I was so surprised. If you are ever in the area, we can share a cup of tea.
      Hugs.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE Smeg fridges! I don't think you could have found a better little fridge for your kitchen - it fits perfectly into that spot :-)

    I was watching Moving Up on Saturday - a couple installed retro-looking turquoise appliances in their kitchen (not sure if they were Smeg). The cabinets were white and the walls were painted purple - not what you would expect in a kitchen, but it looked great :-)

    Enjoy your new smiley fridge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, I am doing a happy dance!!!! Oh yah!!! That is fantastic. Wow, I knew this was going to be amazing!! I have pinned this to my Pinterest board, Wowza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love SMEG! Your color choice is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your fridge. For a moment I considered buying one (with a freezer in the bottom part) for my kitchen... But SMEG is too expensive in France. If I were you, I would spend hours in my kitchen, just admiring it. Did I mention the colour is perfect for your home? You have the best taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow, that is saweeet! Love the color -- can't wait to see the entire room!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog post about my garden casita and leaving a nice comment. It truly was a HOT labor of love, as The Man did so much work on it during our hot, hot AZ summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your kitchen! It's so homey. Vintage and classic touches all at the same time. :) I ADORE your fridge!!! And the light blue accents. And the beadboard walls. And the open cabinetry with the baskets. And everything else. Just lovely!

    toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I love those refrigerators! Your kitchen is fantastic! I am definitely jealous.

    Your daughter picked a great addition for the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bobbypin Bandit. I involved her in my thinking process, because it was going to take so long.

      Delete
  15. The fridge is awesome! I like the scale of it and how it fits perfect in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely cute, cute, cute, for me! Love it. Great color and it's just so cool! Your kitchen is wonderful!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute and pretty! I love the blue fridge. You have such stylish taste.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omgosh it looks amazing!!! I love the fridge so much and your decorations too. The basket on top is great!!
    Thanks so much for reponning the cupcake for autism. You are amazing :)
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am loving the fridge it works perfectly in the space

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. can a fridge be adorable? why yes it can, and it is!! I didn't know these were available is the US. great choice, it's perfect for your kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI, Sue, I know you've mentioned it before, I now I have to check out your remodel too. I love your kitchen progress, how adorable it all is. I love those open shelves and yes, that vintage style fridge. You're doing a great job, now I have to go check out the rest of your 70's renovation. We are on the same page!! Thank you for coming by & reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhoda. So sweet of you to visit. It's lots of work, but so rewarding.

      This house is 70 but was last remodeled in 1970 because we found a piece of newspaper in the kitchen wall. So it had some interesting features like the avocado green countertops on 1940 cabinets.

      Love tracking your progress, Rhoda. It' an amazing transformation.

      Delete
  22. just found your blog today. LOVE it. LOVE your kitchen - it's so freaking cute!!! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am amazed at your creativity! I love your cute kitchen! All great ideas. I used to have a fridge like that in white in an apt I rented in the 70s. It was certainly adequate storage then. Why do I need a big one now???

    Peace,
    Linda at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannie and Linda. This one is a modern replica. What's so funny is that anyone who has ever had one knows how to open it. I was delightfully surprised by the room on the inside. I kept my large, decade old one in the potting shed, but it is mostly empty except for the freezer and gallon water supply for the desert. I think I read someone that this one only costs about 50 dollars per year to run.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su