27 February 2013

DIY Kitchen Cabinets

I hoped to be posting about my finished kitchen, but alas it is not to be; it's delayed and won't be done for a few more weeks.  I am still waiting for a refrigerator to arrive and my countertop installation for the other side of the kitchen has still not happened.

But, I am entering the first project of the year party.

IKEA Butcher Block Island Hack

I am entering my ordinary butcher block islands turned DIY custom, kitchen cabinets.


This is what I started with.  A new thirty inch wide stove in a small cottage kitchen.

When my 30 inch wide stove arrived, I realized with my budget, it would be a waste of money to buy cabinets for this side of the kitchen which is under eight feet long, 91 inches to be exact.  It was going to be at least another 7000 dollars and they were so narrow that I didn't think I could store anything in them.

SO when the stove arrived, my mind immediately went to work.
I decided start with a visit to Ikea, and I was lucky. I found these, and

I purchased these Ikea butcher block islands even though they were too big.

I knew I was going to do something with them... like put them beside the stove;) but I still had to fit a narrow refrigerator in the spot beside them!


I stared at them for a couple of weeks, formulating a plan, when one day I got the idea to go to a fabricator's 
remnant stone yard.
There I found a piece of Carrara marble.  Remnants of stone are inexpensive and the piece I found was more than enough to make two countertops.
I found I could buy it for 80 dollars and have it fabricated for 200 dollars.  I had the fabricator hold it, and I hurried home to measure.

My spouse measured and calculated how much room we would need for a refrigerator.
Then he cut off about 5/8 of an inch on each side of each IKEA island.  I sanded the butcher-blocks smooth with my hand held sander.  



He called up the fabricator and gave him the exact measurements for the two countertops, and he sent us back a contract, and a couple of weeks later, voila! My spouse picked up the marble countertops from the fabricator, brought them home carefully, and then carefully layed each one on top of the butcher block islands.  They were so heavy nothing else needed to be done.
He installed handles, so we could hang towels on them.


We pushed them into place.

Then I stared at them for another couple of weeks, again formulating.
We decided they needed shelves above, so we built some.
Then we painted the shelves to blend in with the bead-board planks we had installed.

I continued to stare at my new countertops and "cabinets"; this is the way I create.  I stand back and look for awhile.

Then one day, when I was suppose to be putting away my ornaments that were still out in February, I had the idea to check and see if the basket I stored ornaments in would fit on the shelves!

I saw it did fit perfectly, so I emptied three others!
(Fortunately, it turns out that even though these are a few years old, Pottery Barn still sells them and I was able to put those ornaments away.)  These medium baskets are still on sale until the end of this month!

So below is the BEFORE (without baskets)

Before (Green tape was on the door for painting.)

AFTER (with baskets)
After!  (Door is painted)



So now I have four drawers on my stove side and the entire project including the shelves and the big island was about 600 dollars.

Left

Right

I have a lot more storage than I would of received with custom cabinets and plus, I even have the floor underneath them if I want to store a pan or two.  I can also roll them out if I want because I left the wheels on the back for an industrial vibe.
The marble is fantastic for rolling out cookies and dough.

Update

We finished the stove and refrigerator side of the kitchen.






25 comments:

  1. Good for you to get this entered. I am sure you are a bit disappointed with the delay but it will all look fabulous when complete. It already looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I entered it as a project, but the administrator felt it was the wrong category. I tried again. It was fun to try.

      Delete
    2. that should be," I've tried again."

      Delete
  2. It's just amazing how gorgeous it all looks!!!
    I'm in love with your kitchen - really I am - for a small space it's absolutely perfect!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan. I love your enthusiasm!

      Delete
  3. The contrast between the first picture and the last ones is amazing. You did such a great job while saving money. And I can't wait to see your refrigerator. I was watching a TV show about houses yesterday evening and one had a copper sink and I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. You are so sweet, and I love following yours too! It's so exciting to see what people do with small spaces and budgets, which is really the norm for most, yet hard to see sometimes.

      Delete
  4. I think I found you through Adventures in Decorating, but you know how internet browsing goes, lol. We have a tiny kitchen also, and I have one Bekvam cart as an island. We're redoing the cabinets (yay Ikea sale) and since I'm going to go with their wood countertops I was hoping I could top my "island" with either marble or Corian. I just LOVE that you did it first! Did you think about removing the top and using the marble instead of the butcherblock top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could if it one of their islands made of wood, but it would have to have enough support.

      One could build a support under it and it might not be seen; it needs something to hold it up. In a way marble is fragile for example if it is cut wrong it could fracture.

      Also if you take the butcher block off one loses 3cm of height, but I guess then one could do something to the feet to make it taller.

      This way both the small islands and the big island of wood are the same thickness.

      As far as looks, I think it would look nice.

      Delete
  5. Kitchen is done post... http://butterflyandbungalow.blogspot.com/2013/03/kitchen-is-done.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love it! So much more fun and creative than standard cabinets...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

    My web site :: 18 inch dishwasher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site,
    how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a applicable deal.

    I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered shiny transparent idea

    My web page :: car cushion

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quality articles is the important to attract the users
    to pay a quick visit the site, that's what this web site is providing.

    Also visit my web page; car seat cushion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to check it out.

    I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this
    to my followers! Terrific blog and amazing design and style.


    Feel free to surf to my web blog: teak cutting boards

    ReplyDelete
  11. My spouse and I stumbled over here different web
    address and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to checking out your web page again.



    Here is my web page - car seat cushion

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,

    It's just amazing how gorgeous it all looks!!!

    visit my web page::Kitchen cabinet online

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. The look and feel of kitchen is really amazing. Thank you for sharing all the work made behind making this lovely cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So besutiful! I love the color on the walls, could you give me the name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is Sherwin-Williams Light French Gray. It's on one of their teen room cards. That's where I got the number from. I couldn't find the large sample card. They also have a French Gray, but it is darker.

      Delete
    2. Great! Thank you so much:)

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. If you sign up for their e-mails they send a coupon about once a month. It can be substantial from 20 percent to 30 percent savings. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  15. very good article, I like it, it gives new ideas for DIY kitchen cabinets, if you want to see more about kitchen cabinets go here ! find the best here :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pics. To get more relevant information visit here Kitchen remodeling Austin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su