12 December 2012

Floors Finale: Third Time is the Charm

Before Painted Concrete



After Epoxy Application Over Painted Concrete

Floors are dried.
We coated the painted concrete with an epoxy. This was the final step to a process that we started many months ago.  It need not take long; we just finally got around to finishing.

   We used a Quik Crete Rustoleum product, and now the floors clean easily and shine beautifully.  I think I can finally put to rest the idea of covering them with stone or hardwood.
I never reluctantly wanted to, but with so much sand and dirt here, it was impossible to maintain a clean, painted floor.

Furthermore, I loved the old world look of all the other floors in the house that didn't have damage from linoleum or carpet. Also, in the main living area, I didn't want to divide it with different surfaces.   The music room's original floors were in good condition.

This is a very inexpensive solution; we needed two kits, so two hundred dollars.
One could mix their own epoxy for less, but I have no idea how one could get
 a proper formula and uniform strength.
It took more than the recommended ten hours to dry here.  And it was warm, dry, and in the low 80s.
It needs to be above 50 degrees.  And if the floor one is doing is inside the house,
turn off the heat, AC, or fan.  If it is an outside surface, little wind would be best.
Little pieces of dust or thread can stick during the drying process,
but that is part of the charm.



Funny moment...
My daughter forgot where it was wet and walked through about 8 hours into the drying process.
She stuck.
Everyone kept their cool.  I pulled out the roller and went over that section again.  What had I to lose? I was going to have to do it again to make it smooth. Since it was still tacky, I was able to retexture it again to a smooth finish.  There is only one small fossilized footprint beneath the epoxy, and that's only due to color, because the surface is smooth.




It is also the finished floor in the kitchen that we are remodeling.

It's not a look for everyone, but it works in this old cottage, because the original floors are stained brown concrete.  Concrete floors were made to hide the dirt and keep the houses cool; this home was likely built as a winter home or for someone infirmed due to some illness that would be helped by warmer weather.  I saved or restored all the rooms that were in good condition, but the dining area and kitchen were ruined by linoleum and tack marks.

I think this look would work well in a cottage, a beach house, an older home with country French, Swedish, or rustic furniture, or even an industrial setting, loft, or kid's room.

In other words it is very inexpensive, versatile, and unique and an option if one has really good concrete floors.

Sorry about the blurry photos.  My camera has seen better days.  And I made so many grammar errors today.

Next project is new baseboard in the living room.  It's painted, but needs to be cut, installed, and then touched up.

Sharing with:

Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday



I Gotta Try That Linky Party 29



The Dedicated House's Make it Pretty Monday


The Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday

and



2 comments:

  1. Your floors are amazing! That's so funny about your daughter getting stuck! (though not at the time, I'm sure!). Sounds like her footprints will be adding some character to your floors:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. LOL that why I warned people it was sticky, and don't have the air blowing. LOL Didn't think I'd catch a kid.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su