29 October 2012

Bathroom 10

Shoebox Bathroom Remodel
5x8


This is our big bathroom reveal!  We did all the work ourselves except for fixing the plumbing behind the wall and the electricity.

Featured at:

Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/11/make-it-pretty-monday-week-22.html


DIY Bathroom Remodel


We learned some new DIY skills, valued
perseverance and patience, and had fun.

This is the bathroom we began with.
5 X 8
Scary with lots of potential!
Even the window was missing.

Here it is with the glue scrapped with some repaired and new plumbing done by the plumbers behind the new cement board.  We kept everything in the same place to save.


Keep in mind that we did all the work ourselves except for what the plumbers did behind the new cement board we put up.

With a good eye and some measuring skill, one can design their own bathroom.


Because I did the design, and we did all the work ourselves,we saved thousands!
This cost us about 1500, but for someone else to do the planning and the work 
it would have potentially cost 10,000 to 15,000.  Some of it did not cost me anything because I had the  light, the pulls for the curtain rod, and the prints. It took about six months to complete, because we budgeted.  My sister lives around the corner, and we were always welcomed.



So happy this is done!!!

1
SW's "Silvermist" is on the ceiling and the walls are SW's "Gateway Gray".  Painting the plaster ceiling gave the bathroom a finished looked.
I like the double curtain rod.

2
The Kohler toilet and the beadboard that we installed.
This is a Martha Stewart toilet paper holder.

3
The door we refinished.  We almost gave up on this one.


4
I purchased these prints many years ago from Ballards.  The towel bar is Martha Stewart brand from Home Depot.


5
The slate floor we installed.  The tiles are available on sheets and they are from Home Depot.  It is very easy first tile job, because each tile is a square inch.
The main thing to know is DON'T use premixed grout on stone.  Thank you to, the pro, visiting the depot at the same time as us.


6
Glass Tile Stripe & Subway Tile

White beveled, subway tile is inexpensive, but classic.

These white, beveled, subway tiles were purchased on sheets  at the Home Depot, as well as the glass tiles, which came in packages of four.  We sealed the grout so that it will stay nice; touch it up when the water no longer beads.
We could of used a different colored grout, but I have a thing about grout looking dirty.


7
I've had these porcelain PB shower pulls for about twelve years.  I love them.
The shower curtain is from Target.

8

We initially used a product to refinish the tub, but the age of the tub and of course accidents while we tiled made us then choose a professional.

All Bathroom Posts

P.S.  We did have a professional finish the tub, and the finish came out amazing. This tub is 70 years old, but it could last another hundred or two.  (The price reflects the little extra work it took take off the finish we put on.)








21 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love the mix of tiles you used, and that door screams of such great charm and character! You just don't see that in new homes nowadays. Well worth the effort to salvage it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! I agree on the door. I'm glad we stuck to it.

      Delete
  2. YOu did a fantastic job with the bathroom. You had me with the beadboard, but I also love what you chose for the flooring. It all ties together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! So impressive that you did it yourselves! We are DIYers too - saves so much money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOOW! This is gorgeous!!! Good job! I love the floor and your color combination. Following you back and shared on Google+.
    XOXO
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hard work definitely paid off! Your bathroom looks gorgeous! I can't believe you did that all yourself! That's phenomenal work! I LOVE the subway tile. I think it looks so sleek. I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking bathroom. Y'all did a fabulous job. Feels good when you do the work yourselves. We do most of our own work around here, too. We did a lot of the finishing work on our house when we built it to save money.

    You have word verification on. You may want to turn it off. You will get more comments that way. I am getting ready to try for a third time to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an amazing job! It's absolutely beautiful. So pretty and crisp. Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/11/make-it-pretty-monday-week-22.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, your bathroom turned out gorgeous!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! What a beautiful room. I love the mosaic slate floor and the wall color! I can't believe you did this for $1500. I finished a bathroom redo the same way last year but it took more 5 years to complete :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is one major remodel. Fantastic job! Love all the colors and how you use things you already had. Very impressed that you pretty much did it all yourself!

    Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great redo! You took it from drab to fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful that you are getting ideas from this article as well as from our dialogue made at this place.

    Here is my page - Chemietoilette
    my page > Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  13. This came out AMAZING. I love the subway tile and how you used the square glass tile around the shower area. I would not have thought of that, but it looks great. Thanks for commenting on my blog @ www (dot) thriftysouthernpilgrim (dot) com!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su