01 September 2012

September 1, 2012

Harry Potter Day


It's Harry Potter Day and the beginning of my daughter's school year.  Today was the big day for a magical train ride and back to school festivities.  All dressed up we headed to the train, and you will never believe it but, there were other Hogwart students there.  Dressed in their clean Harry Potter uniforms with old fashioned suitcases in tow.  Last year, she was the only one, but I remember people telling her it was a great idea; word gets around.


Next was a surprise lunch.  She actually planned today's menu, but she had no idea how it would turn out because I made it.
 Funny how that tie looks purple depending on the lighting, must be magic.

She found the concept in Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes, but it had to be modified.  It called for cooked spinach and other vegetables that she wouldn't eat; she only likes uncooked vegetables or grilled.  So rather than waste money I used food items I knew she would or could eat. I used the drawing as a reference on page 22.  It's a crocodile.

Revolting Recipes is a great book for kids.  Although we modify most recipes for simplicity and or diet because she can't have gluten, the ideas are fantastic.  We have used it for all sorts of themed parties.  

For the green color I could not use what was suggested, so I made our family's homemade pesto.


My Pesto 

A big handful of almond slivers
A container of fresh basil
Grated in a food processor or blender &
Next begin adding a 1/4 cup of olive oil until it is a spreading consistency.
Salt to taste.
Also add some lemon juice to prevent oxidation.

This is much cheaper version of pesto; pine nuts would have cost 28 dollars a pound, but almonds were less than 5 dollars a pound.


Next was dragon drawing and runes.   
Swimming.

In the evening she had rice noodles, with red sauce with a dollop of pesto, 
another Harry Potterish Dish in regards to looks.

Green Goo Worms


Potions.  The goblet contains another modified recipe from Dahl's Revolting Recipes.
The flower cake with the bumble bees for flavor is from the bakery.


 Testing It.  Raspberry sorbet, fresh strawberries, and a gummy worm.


 Suitcases



Studying a Bach fugue in the library.



Sharing at:
I Gotta Try That




4 comments:

  1. Looks like a magical day. My daughter just walked by and wants be to show her all the pictures on this post again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was really fun for her and me too.

      Delete
  2. Love the Crocodile! Don't you just love Halloween. Thanks for sharing on "I Gotta Try That" Hope you entered the giveaway while you were there.
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su