09 August 2012

Before & After Bathroom 4


Don't throw out that cast iron tub.  What one can replace it with is junk!

We did this remodel except for the major plumbing repair behind the wall and the new window installation below.

We refinished the cast iron tub with an epoxy.  My spouse had special mask and we had to stay with family for a couple of days.


I selected this vanity for its maple finish that picks up the maples in the slate.  I also selected it for its narrow profile and price.   It came from IKEA's clearance.  It has an amazing amount of storage! Though it was tricky to assemble and the plumbing unique, my spouse had the patience to  figure it out.  It took several attempt of leveling the drawers.


I liked the contrast of the farmhouse sink with swedish modern vanity.  The faucet was from Lowes.
Though not installed completely in this photo, look at the amazing drawers!  IkEA even had plastic bins to fit them.  Love it!

I mixed styles because it suits this seventy year old house.  The exterior of the house looks "cottage", but the windows on the front of the home make it one of the earliest versions of a mid-century modern or pre mid-century. (This home also has original, colored, stained concrete floors, which is another feature of mid-century.)

Wall with the 4th print from the Ballard series and the wire basket also from Ballards, but easy to make yourself if you are handy.  I just didn't know that when I got it.

New frosted window from Home Depot.  
I had the lights, shower head, and mirror.  The light is from Pottery Barn.

We installed beadboard to cover the damaged plaster.  Love it!  I chose the wide-plank.  The narrow looks Victorian and this is a just a 70 year old cottage bungalow.
The toilet paper holder and towel rack are Martha Stewart from Home Depot.  Reasonably priced and as pretty as the stuff at some fancy mall shop.

We restored the bathroom door.  Lots of work because of all the paint build up, but so worth it because of the solid wood and three panel style.

The bathroom is almost complete, and I already have selected plain white tile for the shower walls with a strip of aqua-colored glass that will encircle the inside and pick up the aquas and turquoise in the slate floor.

To pay a company to do a bathroom like this would cost from 10,000 to 15,000 dollars.  Doing it ourselves saves us thousands.  Amazing.  Probably less than 2000 when complete.

We save because we do the design and the labor ourselves and keep the footprint.  I selected all the colors, tiles, baseboard, beadboard, trim, paints, faucets, toilet, accessories, plumbing fixtures, mirror, lighting, towels etcetera, etcetera.  My spouse and I did the work.  When the shower is finished I will take some more photos.

Sharing at:
     shabby creek cottage   I'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog!



4 comments:

  1. It turned out so pretty, you window is exactly what we picked for our bathroom. Love the sink, that is way cool looking! your right the maple vanity is highlighted by the flooring! Very nice and looks pretty! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su