24 June 2012

Does One Have to Sew to Make Curtains?

Can one make no sew curtains?



Window coverings can be expensive; I know. In my last home we installed wood shutters and custom drapes, and in the home prior, we also had custom shutters, and so on.  

This home just felt like it needed something simpler, more approachable.  It's a cottage, after all.  This was something I could do, and it was an inexpensive project with my limited budget.  

I made these rods from two sets of rods; I purchased the first set at Target and the second set at Walmart.  I liked the glass finials on one set and the hanging mechanism on the other.  I removed the plain finials from one and put the glass ones on from the other.  It worked because the screws were the same size.

The rods were meant to go into the wall, but I wanted them to hang from the ceiling, like ones I have seen in Ethan Allen.  It is very French Country.   

For curtains I used three full/queen size Ralph Lauren sheets with white ruffles on bottom, so that they would look full and finished at the bottom. One window got two and the other got one.  I hung them with clips, so they can be easily taken down and washed.

Since my daughter's room is connected to the library, I coordinated the colors of both rooms, as well as  decorating scheme, including the window coverings, to create a more seamless transition. 

These are actually not new rods. They once were used to make a ceiling canopy for my daughter.  No pieces were wasted, because I put the plain pieces back together to make gallery rods for my daughter's art fairyinwonderland.  

Click on the photos for enlargement.


The Children's Suite



The window seat is a dress-up chest.  I am reluctant to paint the built-ins, because it is good wood and it the color coordinates with the painted birds on the chest of drawers.

This room has lots of foundational, organizational storage.
Built-ins
Baskets
Chest
Cabinets
Drawers
and a closet with built-ins and baskets.

Spaces to hide and store things.

Now, I took these photos when it was cleaned up; one can see there are still few open flat surfaces. But
in small homes an attempt at organization, at least the foundation, is important, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su